Medical Questions > Mens Health > Sexual Health - Men Forum

I Cant Pee, So I Self Catheterize.

Must Read
Talking openly about the penis is a very personal matter. Learn basic penis anatomy to discuss penile disorders accurately with your doctor....
Penis symptoms that interfere with sexual activity or urination could be serious. Learn the signs and symptoms of penis problems that require a doctor's help....
How do urologists evaluate and diagnose painful penis? A penis disorder is a medical problem. Learn more about possible diagnoses for penis disorders now....
User Profile
Im a 25 year old male and I have interstitial cystitis. With this urinary frequency and not being able to fully empty my bladder these days makes life so misrable. Also, I go into retention alot and I have to use a self catheter to get the urine out. What makes this problem so difficult is that I can only use the catheter a certain amount of times a day only.(i also hate sticking this to tube in my urethra, it is so uncomfortable.) so my urine just sits in my bladder making my body feel all sick daily. I had ic for some time now, but me not being able to completely empty my bladder and having retention is what bothers me most. Its been like this for 10 months now and life is very hard. I was never like this before, just urinary frequency and I was able to empty my bladder enough to enjoy life more. If there is anyone going through this or something similar, get at me. Thankz. Sad Sad
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Bhazard
|

User Profile
replied October 8th, 2006
Community Volunteer
Please watch your language - especially in post titles as this is a family board.

Have you seen a doctor, what advise have you been given by them?

i would also question if the use of the catheter isn't irritating the urethra and worsening the problem.
|

User Profile
replied October 8th, 2006
I have seen a uro many, many times regarding my condition, nothing is really being done or said. "just keep taking the prescribed medz and use the catheter when u go into retention," is what the uro mentioned. I am getting a third opinion by another uro in the following weeks. If I dont self catherize myself, what am I supposed to do??? Just let my urine sit in my bladder all day and be very unconfortable. I have went 2 the er 4 times this year and each time the nurse inserted a catheter that I had to wear for a week each time. So self catherizing myself is the only option.
|

replied October 13th, 2006
Huh?
Wow that seems like it would be quite painful. I work at an er and inserting catiters just makes me cringe. I owuld reccomend going to a doctor, and seeing what the options are. Btw wut is that person talking about, watch your language?? U used totally appropriate medical terms.
|

replied October 15th, 2006
Huh?
kia_breizzze wrote:
please watch your language - especially in post titles as this is a family board.

what was wrong with the language??
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
For goodness sake - moderators don't just make it up you know.
The original poster used swear words in his post title - that I removed as per forum policy.
And for that reason I asked him to watch his language.

Any more problems and pm me about it.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Why not use a regular catheter instead of having the irritation so often, you could use a leg bag and drain it periodically and keep an eye on it or a home health nurse or go up to the hospital once a week and have a nurse check for infection. Have you had anyother tests run?
|

replied October 16th, 2006
kia_breizzze wrote:
for goodness sake - moderators don't just make it up you know.

The original poster used swear words in his post title - that I removed as per forum policy.

And for that reason I asked him to watch his language.

Any more problems and pm me about it.

hey, it was a question dillhole. Mad chill out. I'm new and I didn't know that. Confused
|

replied January 21st, 2007
Hey gemiinii
i too self catheterize. Its nice to talk to someone who self catheterize. I self cath cause I have lipomyelomeningocele. Its a birth defect of a childs spine. It is a fatty mass starting under the skin on the child's back, usually in the middle. The mass extends inward to the spinal canal. Its a rare case and that it effects 1 to 2 infants for every 10,000 births, and its slightly more common in girls. * im guy.*
the two biggest problems with lipomyelomeningocele in children are:

1. The spinal cord is stuck (fixed) to the fatty mass
2. The fatty mass puts pressure on the spinal cord
then about 30% of infants get a tethered spinal cord. *which I have*

a tethered spinal cord is a condition where the spinal cord is pulled down and stuck or fixed to the spinal canal. The spinal cord normally floats inside the spinal canal.

As a child grows, the cord must be able to move freely inside the canal. If her spinal cord is stuck down as she grows, it will stretch like a rubber band and symptoms will start developing.

Nerve damage can occur if this problem is not repaired. The surrounding blood vessels are often fixed down, too, so the spinal cord does not get enough blood. This also causes nerve damage.

Symptoms of nerve damage may include:

1.Back and leg pain

2.Weak and numb legs

3.Changes in bladder and/or bowel control.
I have very little of 1 and 2 but I was mainly affected by 3. Growing up it started around 6th grade. I noticed I couldnt hold my pee before going to school and would wet my pants. I use the bathroom and as soon as I leave I would have to pee again. So through out the day I could constantly wet my pants. This went on for many years it kept me from doing alot. If I ran I would leak. Wet my pants even more. Wet my bed everynight. I had urine infections. At the time I didnt know. I didnt do much. Gym class was hard. Around 9th grade which was around 1999 I moved to ga and told my mom. She knew it was cause I had surgery to remove the fatty mass. I always knew I had surgery but the cause and what it was I didnt know. I saw alot of doctors and they finally told me I had to self catheterize. I will always remember what I was thinking. I thought it was impossible. I asked how long? He said the rest of my life. I couldnt deal with that it pissed me off. How can someone stick a tube up their penis for the rest of their life? I thought it would just fix it self. What I didnt understand was its nerve damage. Nerves can not be fixed. I will admit my life is much better than it was when I didnt self catheter. It sucks using it but looking in comparision its much better. I can go with long periods of not wanting to pee and I dont wet my bed anymore. It was very embrassing that I did. If I had to choose I would choose not to self catheter but there is no other way. I hate to say it but a doctor dont tell you to self cath for no reason. They say that cause there is no alternative
*message for the board readers and gemiinii*
i dont care what anyone on this board says. They dont self cath they wouldnt know what me and you *geminni* are going through. It offends me that someone would tell me to us a 24hr catheter and have a bag taped to my leg all day. Do you realize that is the dumpest thing I have ever heard? People do that in hospitals. People who self cath need to feel normal and live every day lives like normal people. Its embarssing as it is and you dare even mention a bag!
I have been using the catheter since I was 16 I am now 22 almost 23. There are alot of times it held me from doing something or enjoying it. Like paintball I need to use the bathroom before I play. But we play for long periods and my bladder will fill up from the water I drank earlier that day and would wet my pants. I understand what your going through.
Here is my tip to you. To make it most comfoterable
what fr ch is it? I use 10 fr ch. I used a 8 at 1st but I use 10. I empty really slow but I dont care. I cant feel it going 99% of the time. Hospital forced a 16 fr ch on me and it was really uncomfoterable.
Move to a 10. Thats bout it but this is what I do.
When I 1st started I carried lube with me and a sanitized towelette to help fight off the germs. Now I just carry the cath in my pocket and rinse it in the sink sometimes with soap but 99% I dont. I rinse with water then I stick it in. Yea im very prone to infections. How do you expect me to carry a new sanitized catheter and some items to clean the area . Honestly... I dont even know how many times a day I go. I just go when I feel like going.
|
Users who thank Bhazard for this post: pnk 

replied August 27th, 2014
Hi..Bhazard
My age is 26.
I too self catheterize once in a day..
I got into an accident and got bladder rupture, It was cured perfectly they inserted a Cather for 15-17 days.
After Cather removal and probably due to some problem,
I got urethra stricture. Due to severe problem, I was not able to pee.
My urologist performed VIU and after VIU he asked me to insert Cather every day at least once so that it could not generate same problem.

I got infected two times, I am performing it since last 1.5 year.

Sometimes I have to do it twice or three times.

I have few questions to you please if any one can tell me.

Is it normal to have self catheterize once or twice a day?

Is it creates future problems with family life?

I am so worried, please help me.

Sorry for my bad english.

Thanks.
|

User Profile
replied January 23rd, 2007
Wuttup
Wsup b-h, I have just read your post and I totally feel where you are coming from with self cathing. You have been through alot. Peepz just dont understand how its like sticking a long tube in our long urethras and the procedures that comes along with it.. It aint easy, but thats all we got when we go into retention, cant full empty our bladder, or just cant go. For me, in the beginning of last year I kept going into retention for some mysterious reason, to be exact I went to the e-r on 4 different occasions. On those trips I had to where a catheter with a leg bag for 4-6 days each time. They where a size 14-16. It was so uncomfortable/misrable and painful especially when I would get those early morning erections. Finally a uro prescribed me with some self caths (size 12) so I wouldnt have to keep going to the e-r. I tried those a couple of times, but it was always painful inserting them inside even when I went extremely slow. I complained and they gave me a size 10 and 8. I tried getting a 6, but the assistant said it would be to flimsy. I tried the 10, but 8 feels more comfortable to me. I use the one with the blue strip in the middle with the curvey point at the end whenever I go into retention. For some reason I have a difficult time using a straight tip. How many times do you s/cath in a day??? Do you put alot of lubricant all along the cath or just the tip??? Changing subjects, lately I have been having extreme constipation/gas I cant pass and my abdomen was super distended. I went to the doctors this week for the second time because my body didnt feel right. I got a abdomen xray and my whole abdomen was fully flooded with feces. I was given some laxative and some pills to relieve my constipation. Im still feeling pretty bloated. Its feel likei got 50% of my bowel movement out though. Hopefully 2morrow I will feel more better. Its good to hear from you. Take it easy and take care. Holla whenever. Peace.
|

replied January 23rd, 2007
Hey gemiinii,

1.I dont use lube anymore. Just rinse in sink. I just carry the cath by itself.

2.I use the cath whenever I use the bathroom.

I dont know why its so uncomfortable. Your at 8. It didnt take me along time to get use too.

3.I use straight tip. *i love how the nurses make it uncomfortable when they stick a cath in me at the hospital.(not really). I went in for a kidney infection.

Yea it gets painful for me too when I hold it too long. In the morning sometimes I gotta squeeze myself so I can make it into the bathroom. When I 1st started out I would stick the cath in and it would like hit a wall or something. It was weird like it wouldnt go any farther. So what I do now is just aim the cath down. Cause I would aim it anyway but I just let it run along the bottom. Hopefully you understand.

My bowel movement is like how you described. Growing up I thought it was normal to go on days without taking #2. I dont have alot of gas. Its just I dont go everyday. If I do its very little. I dont want to push too hard with my abdomen cause it will cause my bladder damage.

*from the years of straining to pee, it cause my bladder to be trabiculated (spell check). Where my bladder isnt completely round like a ball. The self cath should help that out. Dont know how it is now but I dont want to strain.*

so I usually feel where my tailbone ends and massage it out. It sounds weird I know. I get alot of diarrea every now and then. So I came to understand that the diarrea is probbaly natures way of relieving constipation. I didnt know I am constipation till I had a xray and saw all the feces. Its a weird image like "is that in my body now?" doctor told me to take some stool softeners. Try that. I stop taking them cause I felt like they didnt work -_- stupid me.
These are my experiences and for the reasons I know that caused them. Nerve damage. Soo I think you should tell your doctor more. Some doctors are stupid and just push you off. I mean find out whats going on. Get health insurance if u dont already have it.
Another subject. Embarrassing but sometimes when I ejaculate. I would pee and it would hurt alot afterwards too. Sometimes not 100% of the time. Yea I have alot running through my head so it might be a bit hard to read hopefully you can understand. Hopefully everything goes well.
|

User Profile
replied January 24th, 2007
???
When I 1st started out I would stick the cath in and it would like hit a wall or something. It was weird like it wouldnt go any farther. So what I do now is just aim the cath down. Cause I would aim it anyway but I just let it run along the bottom.

This is the exact samething I kept going through. Like it would keep poking the top/bottom my urethra and it would feel blocked like it would not go any further. No matter how much I try and my urethra would feel all sore. Thats why I use a curvy tip, it goes in easily without any hassles. Only bad thing about it, is how the curvy tip is always gliding on my urethra, not like a straight tip where it will go straight thru. Im confused on that part where you say aim the cath down??? I would rather use a straight tip... Back then it would work more easily with the straight tip, but then I came across that part where it would not go any farther. You say u dont use any lubricant when inserting the cath in your body? Dont it burn and take longer to insert??? Do you use the throw away caths or do you have the one where you can use for a period of time before you need to replace it??? Does your abdomen get distended where it feels bloated becuz of your feces. I have been experiencing alot of that.. On the part with the bowel nerve damage, was that from using laxatives/pills. Question Question Question
|

replied January 24th, 2007
Im not good at describing somethings but best to decribe is just letting the cath glide on the bottom.. Yea for you it burns.
Yea I dont use lube at all. I use water. Usually my urethra is moist. Sometimes if I think its dry ill force a little bit of pee out. I know its might not what doctors want...But whatever. *doctor never said I couldnt do these things its been a while since iv seen them* I would have to say that when I self cath it might be pretty unclean to a doctors standards. But no worries.

It doesnt burn or take longer. I just stick it in and it goes. Using lube and all is such a hassle. And if there was a day I didnt have lube I would become dependent on it. I just rinse the cath in the sink and the water would be my lube.

The doctor told me to use different caths then like once a week put it into a container or like bowl and soak them in warm anti bacterial soap. I did that for the 1st few weeks but it was weird having like 10 different caths lying around or just setting around anywhere.
I just use 1 at a time. I would use the bathroom and keep it next to the sink rinsed clean. I had a full time nanny for my little sister. She would throw them away periodically. *dont know why*. Recently I used it so long that when I looked at it I noticed it was like white and had something in it. I put it to the light and it was just build up on the plastic. So im like "uhh throw that away" I now decided to keep 1 no more than 1 month so im seeing how that works.
I dont feel bloated. I would say if I am bloated I wouldnt know... I dont know the feeling ya know. Its been so long I have no real idea.
I never took laxatives or pills. So the bowel movement was stricley from the nerve damage.
* I noticed that when I use a cath for a bit the pee would like go everywhere not in a straight continuous stream. I realize its from where that cup and tube connects inside it gets dirty.

Since you self cath you will get a urine infection. Its unavoidable. If you get a fever please go to the hospital. Only reason I tell you this is that you dont get fevers for no reason. You get it cause there is somehing wrong in the body. If you got a urine infection it is possible with that fever you might have a kidney infection. So dont risk it. You asked me a while ago that how many times do I cath? Well I try to aim at every 1 hr. Its alot but I try too. Or when I feel like going. If im at work for like 5 hrs I try to go once thats it. If im in a movie I just go before movie and at the end of movie if I need it. I say every 1 hr or 2 hrs because it keeps the urine out of your bladder so the bacteria from you urine infection doesnt build up ,keep it flushed. If you ever noticed when you self cath and pull out the cath at the tip is some while cloudy stuff. Sometimes when I finish peeing all I could see is white in the tube before I pull out. Its a sign of urine infection. Your urnine wont smell like urine anymore it will smell stronger and smellier. Drink some water too to keep it flushed. You dont want your urine concentrated orange.
|
Users who thank Bhazard for this post: pnk 

User Profile
replied January 25th, 2007
4-sho
Rite on, good looking out.
|

Anything else?
|

User Profile
With your xray part on your flooded feces in your abdomen, how did you get all that out? Also, when you self-cath, about how much urine do u put out each time?
|

replied January 29th, 2007
I didnt do anything. I assume that when I get diarrhea thats when it clears out it. Cause I wont eat anything 1 morning then ill get a stomach ache and just !**@!. When you use the bathroom look at the stool. I know its weird but you can tell if its hard or soft. Like for me its always been hard but recently its soft. Like for the past week I ate alot of yogurt about 3 times a day. Morning lunch and like a late snack type thing. And today the stool was soft im not sure if that yogurt is helping but ill see.

And how much I put out hmm. Depends. When I wake up or in the middle of the night it seems forever. Maybe 2 mins to empty I dont know how much that is. Maybe cup. If I go though out the day depend when I self cath the last time its usually about one of those cups they give you for a urine test.
|

replied November 5th, 2013
SC and erectile dysfunction
I sc once a day now, in the mornings. I may do so evenings before going to bed if I have been drinking liquor. My problem, enlarged prostate. I don't have a problem inserting the self catherer although occasionally it seems to hit a wall, that is the prostate. If I force it, it may bleed a bit, so forcing is out of the question. I chose to self catherize rather than surgery, and I'm happy with my decision. So far, so good. My question, does self catherizing affect erections? I didn't have a problem until a year after I began sc. Has anyone experienced this?
|

replied January 8th, 2014
I know this is an old post, how are you? Do you still catch? Would like an update. I can't pee after my rectopexy surgery 3 1\2 weeks ago and had a catch in for 2 weeks then started self catching until today it would go in all the way so they put a catch back in me.
|