Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Water Breaking Or Bulging?

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
User Profile
Ive been reading horror stories of people with a short or incompetent cervix having preterm labor but saying about there bag of water bulging . How would you know if it is bulging? I mean would you feel it or see it or what? And like how do u know if your water is leaking or if its normal pregnancy discharge? Sorry I sound annoying but I dunno this pregnancy has been totally different for me and makes me worry so much more since it doesnt seem as great as my pregnancy with my son .
Another thing off the topic I started but like I know sex is a no no when im only 28 weeks and told to take it easy cuz my cervix is short etc trying to avoid preterm labor but does that mean avoid anything sexual like oral or anything at all? My dr didnt specify to much on what to avoid but from what alot have told me its best to avoid sex , but I know that does put pressure on your cervix.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 8th, 2006
Hi,
i don't know much about how to answer your question about your bag of waters. But, I am experiencing preterm labor due to incompetent cervix. My cervix has been short almost the entire pregnancy and was with my first preg. Too. How short is your cervix? Did the doc. Tell you? That's pretty importatnt becasue if it is just a little shortened, you should just take some minor precautions, no sex, take it easy, maybe light duty at work. But, if it is really short, you need to be on strict bedrest. All doc.S opinions differ, but I am in a very conservative group and I have been on bedrest since 16 weeks. Your cevix should be about 3-4 cm. Anything below 3 is short, but not a huge concern unless below 2.5. This is known as effacement when your cervix is shortening, and it is a way of your body preparing for labor. The first group I went to told me that I would have to have 2 losses before they would diagnose and treat me for incompetent cervix, needless to say, I switched immediately b/c I wanted this baby, and didn't see the need to put myself and my family through 2 losses. You may want to speak more directly to your doc. And ge their stand on the issue and decided if you are comfortable with that. If your cervix continues to shorten, you should requestion steroid shots to develop the baby's lungs in case s/he is born prematurely as that is the biggest problem usually in preemies.

With sex, my Dr. Told me absolutely no penetration, but that he didn't mind orgasm and other forms of foreplay and sex. Hope that helps.

Sorry I wrote a saga, but this could be a serious issue for you and your baby. Taking precautions could help delay your delivery,if your cervix is real short.
|

User Profile
replied October 8th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
Its ok all the information is helpful, I know that at my last appt not the one this past wednesday but the one two weeks prior she said I was 2cm im thinkin she was referring to length cuz she didnt say dilated or anything she just mentioned iwas 2cm but everything was good. Here they do an ultrasound at every appointment so the baby seems to be fine etc and I feel it move daily, but like my appt wednesday wich I thought was just the glucose test and they wouldnt do the u.S or anything cuz my friend didnt at her glucose but I guess they had reason to check me out so they did and she did the ultrasoudn then vaginal exam and said to me your cervix is short and I wasked what that meant and she said that I need to take it easy for the babies safety but she didnt mention what to avoid or anything on what she meant by short cervix but im guessing it change din those 2 weeks ro she wouldnt have told me to take it easy but it might hav ebeen aminor change, I do feel quite a bit of pressure in my lower abdomen for sure wich she asked me if I had any and I mentioned I did cuz the baby has been really low the whole time pretty much . But she didnt seem really worried but I go back on the 25th wich they did a 3 week appt wich is odd cuz usually its either 2 or 4 and I think id still be in the 4 week range for another month but eh its not so far off . The thing about asking the drs here is they are german I am in germany and being seen offbase (there isnt a hospital or obgyn on base here) and there english isnt the best so I think they tell what they can with what they know so they dont give the wrong information ya know . Im sure if she was really concerned she would have told me but im guessing she is wanting to see if theres any more change, she said if I had any problems to come right in as well so im not as worried since they dont seem to be
|

replied May 28th, 2013
Short cervix
I have had two pregnancies in the last 3 years, both with short cervix issues. First time it got down to .25 (that is really short) and I was induced at 39 weeks because I was just too uncomfortable and sleep deprived. I spent 5 weeks in hospital on bedrest and a few more weeks at home on bedrest. Interestly my doctor attended a large seminar and they really are pushing that standard of care no longer be bedrest, the data is not supporting that the outcome is better. This pregnancy I was on modified bedrest and stayed out of hospital. And I am at 40 weeks pregnant. I did not take any medication either. I do listen to my body and just take it easy, stop the moment I feel uncomfortable.
As far as sex goes .....this had me curious and I checked in both the medical and alternative medical areas and couldn't find out a whole bunch. Bottom line from my experimentation and making mistakes . The semen itself I felt made me feel ill, flu like, labor like and I was told that it has a chemical that is similar to what the use to start inducing labor. I felt ill no matter how I got it into my system , shallow intercourse, oral, anal. (I thought that judt the physicalness of intercourse only was what could bring on labor) Orgasms alone however did not cause any problems at all. I didn't chance having intercourse without semen. I am really surprised I couldn't find more information on this. My cervix ended up longer then last time, at 35 weeks it was 1.9 , they stopped measuring after 35 weeks. I did use progesterone suppositories early on for about a month and I would use them again. BTW I am 47 years old, no health issues. And these 2 pregnancies where naturally conceived. I also had my first 25 years ago and she was 3 weeks early ....possibly short cervix issues back then but we weren't checking cause of my age , but at 22 I wasn't listening to my body back then and I was certainly doing way too much back then.
|