Medical Questions > Mens Health > Sexual Health - Men Forum

UTI (Urinary Tract Infection): common after unprotected anal

Must Read
One in five women will develop a UTI during her life. But what are UTIs? and what causes this type of infection?...
Why are women more at risk of developing UTI than men? Read here for more on what causes urinary tract infections and what puts you at risk of UTI....
A UTI can affect the bladder, kidney, ureters and/or the urethra. Learn which symptoms indicate urinary tract infection, complications and when to seek help....
User Profile
After having anal sex with my girlfriend, in which I am and always have been her only partner, I began to secrete a puss-like yellowish discharge from my penis. This condition was also accompanied by painful urination. Can a infection occur from having unprotected anal sex? She has no symptoms of any kind. As a percaution we have both started taking a high dose of antibiotics as well as a medication for a urinary tract infections. Much to my surprise after 2 days I feel better with near to no puss left. We have been together for a LONG time I know that neither one of us has slept with anyone else and we've both had std check-ups annually which are always negative. We haven't ever had anything like this occur before. Like I stated earlier, this only occured after having unprotected anal sex is this common? Please help us.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 16th, 2006
Sexual Health - Men Answer A1623
According to the symptoms you describe (yellowish discharge from the penis, painful urination) and data about unprotected anal sex, it seems very likely that you have been experiencing a urethral infection (urethritis) probably caused by bacteria normally found in the rectum. The most common bacterium found in the rectum (and large intestines) is Escherichia Coli. This bacterium (most of its sero-types) normally lives in the bowels and doesn’t cause infection in the large intestines. If it reaches the urinary tract, however, Escherichia Coli usually causes a urinary tract infection (UTI). The urethra is the lower part of the urinary tract and Escherichia Coli can cause urethritis if it reaches the area in greater quantities (during anal sex). Urethritis caused by Escherichia coli is not considered a sexually transmitted disease but it can be transmitted via unprotected anal sex. You can use condom to avoid this type of infection.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sexual Health - Men , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.