Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

Is Babyoil Safe to Use As a Lubrication? (Page 1)

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
Was just wondering if babyoil was safe to use as a lubrication during sex..Me and the boyfriend want to have sex and im 36 weeks pregnant and tighter then anything lol and lubrication feels so much better but we dont have any .. Any suggestions if we cant use babyoil?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper jeannine_29
|

User Profile
replied October 3rd, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Huh? I dont think your suppose to.
|

replied October 3rd, 2006
Experienced User
Ummmm, I don't think baby oil is the way to go.

Have you tried a water based personal lubricant? You can get it almost anywhere.
|

User Profile
replied October 4th, 2006
Community Volunteer
Babyoil is fine.
I've used it plenty times and it was the best lube we ever used.... Hmmmm now then maybe I should get some more lol.

We've got some durex water based lubes and they just aren't as good.

However, never use an oil based lube if you use a barrier contraception (ie condoms/female condom/cap/diaphragm/etc) because the oil will perish the rubber/latex and you will risk sti and pregnancy.

Seeing as you are pregnant, then pregnancy won't be a problem...
|

replied October 4th, 2006
Experienced User
Lol thanks guys .. Appreciated I thought it was 100% safe but wasnt sure because u read the bottle and it sasy external use only .. Lol but they also dont thing your going to want to be experimental enough to put that into you lol.. Thanks for the reply Smile
|

User Profile
replied October 5th, 2006
Active User, very eHealthy
I was told by my doctor not to use baby oil.

But its totally up to you.
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
Baby oil is not a "prescribed" lube per se.

And of course any doctor worth his/her salt will point you in the direction of lubes designed for the purpose of sexual intercourse.

But so long as there is nothing rubber/latex like condoms and such to be damaged by the oil (any oil will perish condoms) then baby oil is fine to use.
|

Experienced User
Babyoil
My fiance and I have used babyoil alot. Only problem is...I get a yeast infection everytime we do! It does work as a great lube other than that problem, though..Fyi, we dont use that anymore!

Jeannine
|

Especially eHealthy
Unless you are prone to infections, baby oil should be fine. You can try it and if you don't like it, go buy something else.

Astroglide works well. K.Y is a lot thicker. And other water soluble brands (like from sex shops) are ok too.

I hope you find something that works.
|

User Profile
Supporter
I've never used baby oil before, reading this all i'm tempted to, but:

question - do you think use of baby oil as a lubricant could encourage urinary track infections? It's weird, I never used to get them, but with my partner now i've had at least three. I don't really understand why. Is it a hygeine issue that could cause a woman to get utis with one partner and not with another?
|

replied October 6th, 2006
Experienced User
No no no no no no no never use baby oil never because something in the lotion does something and it weakens something in the condom which makes it less effective and thats not bull a doctor told me that and the same about blood
|

Especially eHealthy
fiona05 wrote:
i've never used baby oil before, reading this all i'm tempted to, but:

question - do you think use of baby oil as a lubricant could encourage urinary track infections? It's weird, I never used to get them, but with my partner now i've had at least three. I don't really understand why. Is it a hygeine issue that could cause a woman to get utis with one partner and not with another?

go to the bathroom after you have sex to clear out your urethra of bacteria.

Some women are prone to getting utis. Make sure to drink a lot of fluids and use the bathroom after sex.
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
princess_amy89 wrote:
no no no no no no no never use baby oil never because something in the lotion does something and it weakens something in the condom which makes it less effective and thats not bull a doctor told me that and the same about blood

already pointed out.

Any oil perishes rubber/latex products such as condoms, caps, diaphragms/etc

but the original poster is 36 weeks preggy - I doubt condoms are too much of a worry
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
princess_amy89 wrote:
no no no no no no no never use baby oil never because something in the lotion does something and it weakens something in the condom which makes it less effective and thats not bull a doctor told me that and the same about blood
wow,that was a lot of somethings! Lol

if you pee after sex like ingi said, you should be less prone to get an infection
|

replied October 7th, 2006
Experienced User
It Worked!
Hey gurls.. Thanks for the replys!! We tried it lol and wow it is amazing :p lol was well worth it.. Ya my last worry is it making a condom less effective lol I am 36 weeks pregnant and want this baby out out out lol:p but ya anyways I always have a shower after sex anyways I just wasnt sure what the oil would do and as of now the next day it hasnt done nothing.. I feel great:) so go ahead gurl try it it works makes things much much more interesting thats for sure lol!!!

Thaaanks

chantelle
|

User Profile
replied October 8th, 2006
Advanced Support Team
As far as the question about utis being related to poor hygiene....The answer is no. Bacteria can get into your urethra as already stated by someone and can cause the infection. This happened to me when I was with my fiance and not using condoms, I was just real sensitive. The doc told me that voiding (urinating) after sex and leaning forward while voiding will completely empty your bladder and clear out the urethra.
|

replied March 8th, 2010
What can you use to remove Baby oil stains on the sheets
We have an accommodation place here right on the beach. But, sometimes guests use baby oil and what a mess it leaves on the sheets! What can you get the stains out with!? They just don't seem to move!
|

replied March 8th, 2010
Especially eHealthy
LOL Snippy, perhaps you should include some small packets of water based personal lube in the rooms with a note - "This personal lubricant is provided as a courtesy for your personal use - Please do not use oil based lubricants as they stain our bed sheets. Oil based lubricants are also bad for use with condoms and we would hate for an 'accident' to happen on our property."

I am sure this will be cheaper than replacing bed sheets. I have seen them for less than $1 per packet in online condom stores.
|
Users who thank UnknownABC for this post: snippy 

replied March 9th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
Old post but;

Baby oil as previously mentioned will damage a condom within a few minutes of contact, it also affects some spermacides poorly. It can be an irritant to the skin over long-term use and some people have allergies to the stuff. If you can't run to the drug store to grab a propper lube then use a cooking grease such as Baking shortenning or olive oil. they're organic and designed to break down in the body without aggrivating tissues. Just be sure that whatever food product lube you use for lubricant is free from food particles or other organic waste that could contain bacteria.
|

replied March 9th, 2010
Thank you, Susan, it definitely sounds like a very good option. Will let you know!
|
12 >>