Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Alesse 28 Vs. Lutera (Page 1)

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
Does anyone know what the difference is between these two birth control pills? My problem is I have been on more than a dozen forms of bc and I finally found one I liked that gave me no significant side effects [alesse 28] and then I go to my appointment to get a refill and am told that they no longer carry alesse and they gave me microgesic or something sorry cant remember, which was god awful and then gave me lutera which I was told is the same pill as alesse 28 except a generic form. Is this correct??? I do not want to wait the full 3 months before deciding myself and would like to get input before I continue taking the lutera. Any knowledge or input of lutera would be greatly appreciated, please! Or recommendations, thank you. Confused
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper scruffdyno
|

replied October 8th, 2006
I just started taking lutera, my Dr. Perscribed aleese but my insurance gave me the generic lutera. I've only been on it for a month but so far i've had no problems. You can google lutera and see what other opinons pop up. That's what I did. Smile

hope this one goes well for u
|

User Profile
replied October 11th, 2006
Experienced User
Lutera Is Great!!
Hi! Lutera is amazing. I was afraid to go on birth control because I went on depo yaers ago and bleed for 6 months straight...I did research and wanted alesse so my gyno prescribed it for me. I was under my moms insurance at that time, they gave me lutera instead. I took it for 6 months and never had any problems! No breakthrough bleeding, no weight gain, no mood swings nothing! I turned 23 and got my own insurance and they gave me aviane 28....I was very hesident because I love lutera. I'm finishing out this pack and going back to lutera. Alesse is the same stuff as lutera. Lutera is just the generic so is the aviane 28. They have the same ingrediants just different "fillers". Give lutera a chance you will love it!!
|

replied December 4th, 2006
Re: Alesse 28 Vs. Lutera
Hi. I guess I have a different opinion on lutera. I have used alesse 28 for a little over 2 years and had no problems but the last time I went to visit my doctor she had switched me to lutera, since I guess they no longer carry alesse 28. But I have had nothing but problems with lutera. I know they say that they have the same ingredients just one is generic. But since I have been taking lutera which has been for 3 months now I have experienced some side affects. The first month I started taking lutera my period lasted a little over two weeks and I had cramps every day and that's not an exagerration. I also have had more pimples then ever and i've never had a problem with acne except for maybe 1 pimple here and there. While I was on alesse 28 my period actually went from 7 days down to 4-5 days and my cramps weren't that bad and only lasted the first day of my period, but the cramps were nowhere near as painful as they are now. But not only has my period lasted longer and cramps gotten horribly worse, but I have mood changes like crazy when it gets closer to my period. One minute i'm happy another day i'm extremely sensitive, and other days i'm crying and don't want to be bothered by anyone. And the mood swings are hard for me to deal with since i'm always usually happy and full of energy. And while with weight gain I haven't seemed to notice a difference except for bloatedness that has lasted from the week before my period to the middle of my period, while with alesse 28 and before I started taking birth control I was bloated for only a few days before my period. Though it does affect each woman differently, it hasn't been good for me. Let's put it this way once I get home from my vacation i'm making an appointment to find another option. But like I said it could work differently with you. But i'd suggest alesse 28 there are not as many side affects. I guess you should experiment with both and then you can have a better idea of what works best for you. Good luck!!!!!
|

replied April 19th, 2012
I was on Aviane and without notifying me my pharmacy changed me to Lutera because the warehouse was out of aviane. I have had lutera for 2 months and started having periods again. Had no periods on Aviane and my face has huge painful pimples all over, leg aches, headaches, etc. Also having cramping and bloating. When going from Alesse to aviane had none of these problems. I am so upset. It took me a long time to find something that my body could handle and now I am having all these annoying problems.
|

replied May 29th, 2012
I know how you feel, I have been through the same changes since being put on Lessina and Lutera since the pharmacist could not get Aviane. I found Aviane to be the closest to Alesse and I had no adverse side effects with it. Since taking Lutera and Lessina I have had terrible migraines, horrible menstrual cycles, and very bad cramps along with spotting through out the month and a lower sex drive. I need my pills back!
|

replied December 4th, 2006
See fat loss tip # 11 on site below. It has links to articles by 2 female mds. It tells about healthy alternatives to bc pills. Also it explains how bc pills can cause obesity, depression, infertility, strokes and breast cancer.

It sounds like allesse 28 was taken off the market like vioxx. Even though vioxx got fda approval, it has killed more americans than the terrorists on 9/11. So keep your receipts for alesse 28 and watch for an ad for a class action lawsuit. Tell your relatives where they are in case you die from it. Then they can cash in.

Edit
|

User Profile
replied December 29th, 2006
Advanced Support Team
ginkgo wrote:
see fat loss tip # 11 on site below. It has links to articles by 2 female mds. It tells about healthy alternatives to bc pills. Also it explains how bc pills can cause obesity, depression, infertility, strokes and breast cancer.

It sounds like allesse 28 was taken off the market like vioxx. Even though vioxx got fda approval, it has killed more americans than the terrorists on 9/11. So keep your receipts for alesse 28 and watch for an ad for a class action lawsuit. Tell your relatives where they are in case you die from it. Then they can cash in.

Edit

please be advised that a recent post you've made to the birth control forum is considered spam. Please discontinue posts that sell or promote items, or posts that contain outside links. If you continue to post commercial messages, we will close your account. Following is our posting guidelines as regards advertising.

Thank you in advance for complying with our posting guidelines. We’re happy that you’re here at ehealthforum and hope we hear from you soon. Happy posting!

-admin

User Profile
replied January 8th, 2007
Experienced User
ginkgo wrote:
see fat loss tip # 11 on site below. It has links to articles by 2 female mds. It tells about healthy alternatives to bc pills. Also it explains how bc pills can cause obesity, depression, infertility, strokes and breast cancer.

Edit

alesse was not taken off the market. Some pharmacies simply don't sell it. Thats what happened to me. It is still available. Lutera is a generic form. Not sure where you got your information but I asked my pharmacist and you can still get it.
|

replied May 29th, 2012
The warehouses are not supplying it for whatever reason, I've been to three different pharmacies and they are continuously trying to get it because of the horrible side effects I am having from Lessina and Lutera. Why is it that every time something works, they pull it and give us something that does not work? I am so sick of this!!!!
|

replied July 5th, 2012
I was on Aviane too for over a year and every pharmacy I've called is out of it. They speculate it will be back by the end of this month. I tried taking Lutera, and in just a week gained 4 lbs. It is definitely a metabolism slowing problem, because I'm eating just like I did on Aviane. A 4 lb weight gain in a week sounds very abnormal to me. I'm quitting this pill.
|

replied October 6th, 2007
Lutera
Hey everyone
I have a question about Lutera. I just started taking it (ive been taking it for about a week) and have never been on birth control before. The only problem with Lutera that Im having is I feel nauseous and sick to my stomach all the time. I also feel very tired. Is this normal when first starting any birth control pill? I'm really hoping these side effects will go away soon!
|

User Profile
Experienced User
I used to be on alesse when i first started on birth control. Then the pharmacy switched me over to another generic form of it Lessina. At first I wasnt supposed to be on generic cuz it sometimes causes spotting but i didnt have any problem with it at all. it worked great.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
My guess is, If you were happy on Alesse you'll be fine on Lutera. Don't worry about it. I've been switched between brand name and generic forms before because of insurance and I didn't even notice a difference.
|

replied May 29th, 2012
Not true, these are substitutes for Aviane when it is not available. The true generic of Alesse is Aviane, the others are substitutions and do not have the same chemical components. This is proven by the changes that take place when these generics are prescribed. I was on Alesse, then Avianne, no change. Then Lessina and Lutera, horrible migraines occur, spotting, bloating, weight gain, increased appetite, bad mood changes. Must depend more on the person, but I will only take Alesse or Aviane.
|

replied October 12th, 2007
Lutera was good. But it wasn't right for me. The only sideffect i noticed was i was spotting so my doctor changed me. But other than that i liked it alot.
|

replied April 26th, 2008
lutera
hi i wanted to talk to the girl who was on the depo shot. i got off of it about a year and a half ago and have been bleeding ever sence. i just got lutera and im supposed to start tomorrow. ive read alot of bad things about it but it seems like its from people who went from alesse to lutera. if anyone went from the shot to lutera and has any info let me know how it effected you.
|

replied May 15th, 2008
lutera birthcontrol
i've been on lutera since october 07 i'm still on it i have the same symptoms like one reader in here candyli03 i've been tired and very weak feelin bad to my stomach ..what can it be .. i feel like i'm pregnant is lutera 100% effective please help i'm gettin a preggers test today i already have a 9 month old daughter i'm not ready for another until 2 or 3 or 4 yrs from now but if iam i'll welcome with my arms open but i dun't think it's possible to birth control and be pregnant while on it .. i never miss a pill please help me! Embarassed Rolling Eyes baffle
|

replied June 24th, 2008
alesse 28, avianne, lo overal, and lutera
I am 26 and have been taking birth control for 10 years, for the first 8 I was prescribed alesse 28 and had no problems at all. I barely even have a period, it only lasts for 3 days. Then after a doctors visit, they told me that they did not offer alesse any longer and gave me lo overal. everything was fine but my face broke out so bad, I went to a different doctor and he put me on avianne which he told me was a generic for the alesse....acne stopped and had no problems. now I am out and have to go to the doc today and (go figure) they don't offer alesse 28 or avianne, they told me they would probably be giving me lutera......I am really scared about the breakouts, does anyone else expierence breakouts with the lutera??
|

replied July 12th, 2008
Gorejess
Well i was on depo for a year and i hated it so, i went to lutera, and its great. But, i do get break outs like i usually do when i get my period. They arent bad at all, but i just pick and pick at them, i usually just get little bumps and i just try to pop something that really isnt a problem. So no, it's not horrible but you might get some break outs
|

replied September 9th, 2008
Re: Lutera Is Great!!
Crazyness24 wrote:
Hi! Lutera is amazing. I was afraid to go on birth control because I went on depo yaers ago and bleed for 6 months straight...I did research and wanted alesse so my gyno prescribed it for me. I was under my moms insurance at that time, they gave me lutera instead. I took it for 6 months and never had any problems! No breakthrough bleeding, no weight gain, no mood swings nothing! I turned 23 and got my own insurance and they gave me aviane 28....I was very hesident because I love lutera. I'm finishing out this pack and going back to lutera. Alesse is the same stuff as lutera. Lutera is just the generic so is the aviane 28. They have the same ingrediants just different "fillers". Give lutera a chance you will love it!!
Rolling Eyes Shocked Im have to disagree...I fell horrible..Ive gained weight,moody,depressed,I felt better before i took them...im taking them to regulate my periods...now I feel slugish, im done with these....
|

lutera has made me fat,depressed,moody....
Embarassed i guess this just didnt work for me...in less than a month ..Ive gained so much weight and feel so tired...Im done taking these....i have pimples everywhere...i feel worse now than ever before...i was taking these to try to regulate my periods,but instead if feel like beep....im on an antidepressent that works great..but when i mixed these two together i feel worse.....and its not my anitdepressent cause ive been on it for 1 year with no problems...i feel like im coming out of my skin...
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Explain these side effects to your doctor.

You probably need a different dose of hormones or you need to be off combination pills all together. Your doctor will be able to get you something that doesn't have so many negative side effects, if any. Smile
|

replied May 16th, 2009
Lutera
I'm being placed on Lutera for menopausal symptoms, mainly hotflashes. I'd like to hear from women of the same age group and what their experience is being on Lutera.
|

replied August 31st, 2009
My experience with the birth control Lutera
I've been on Lutera for about 6 months now and every time I start a new pack, I get very nausious and even vomit about 4 hours after i take the pill. I have tried to wait out this side effect to see if my body just needs to build up a tolerance to the Lutera but so far, no luck. I am also starting to get my period, cramps, depression, pimples, even the first signs of period starting in my discharge. This would be perfectly normal except for that I am still taking the regular Lutera pills though I am at the end of my pack. I never miss a pill and I always take it at the same time every day. I feel like at the beginning of the month the dosage is too strong for my body to handle, giving me morning sickness symptoms and by the end of the month my body is already starting my period although I am still on the regular pill. I tried taking Yaz before Lutera and it was just as bad, making me vomit every night.
|
12 >>