Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Chemical Burn From Swimming Pool (Page 1)

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
Can you get chemical burns from a swimming pool? I think that the pool I was swimming in had too much chlorine or some other chemical. After I had been swimming for a couple of hours my testicle started burning. I didn't think too much about it until later on when I checked out the damage. They were very red and sensitive and the rash was even on my thighs. I just wanted to know if this kind of thing has happend to anyone else. My girlfriend also had some irritation on her vagina. Could this be a condition that was merely aggravated by the high amounts of chlorine?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper LittleMumma
|

replied August 21st, 2003
Chlorine Could Be the Culprit.
Yes, you may have gotten chemical burns from the pool.

Chlorine is a nasty chemical that burns the skin, and causes tissue damage.

Cyndi
|

User Profile
replied March 4th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Since it's so localized, I don't think it could have been from the pool. If the water and chemicals were the cause, you would have more problem areas other than just your genitals... since your GF has this too, maybe you both share the same infection. Just a thought.
|

replied March 10th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
YES because it's localized on your genitals, I think it's definitely a reaction to the chlorine!!! The rest of your body didn't react because the skin over the rest of the body is not as sensitive as the skin on your genitals.

I can verify that chlorine does in fact irritate genitals when there is too much of it in a pool because it happened to me. We moved to a new town with a community pool, and after the first few times we went I was having excrutiating urination afterwards. My mom made me put vaseline over my urethra when we went swimming because it acted as a protective barrier, and it did indeed help.

Plain shampoo and body soaps can hurt some people down there!! Obviously it doesn't affect the rest of their body because otherwise they'd be screaming in pain. But on the genitals, something that is fine for the arms can be very bad.
|

replied March 10th, 2008
Experienced User
Hmmmmmmm, I swim a lot as well as in over-chlorinated pools where you gag every 10 seconds, nothing strange has ever happened to my genitels. But my hair is semi-bleached from chlorine and I would say that chlorine is a powerful chemical able to do a lot of things...
|

replied March 11th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
MMAFighter, it doesn't happen to everyone, so just because it doesn't happen to you doesn't mean it can't happen to me, or to lprgp98tj.
|

User Profile
replied March 11th, 2008
Community Volunteer
The reason why I said that is because you have other vulnerable parts like ears and eyes that would really have problems if they were in contact with dangerous amounts, and even tho it may not hurt AS much, the rest of your soft skin, like your back might feel a little bit of the same hurt.

I don't say that it isn't a possibility that the chemicals are the problem, it just seems a little too easy to throw it off on a chemical burn, and it's always safe to check if it might be an infection instead because it has to be treated differently and can spread.
|

replied June 30th, 2011
chemical burn
you are about a retard
|

replied March 11th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
Well tell all of that to my 11 year old persona who sat on the toilet in pain, afraid to pee after swimming because it hurt too much.

My ears did not hurt. My eyes only hurt if I was stupid and opened them - that's what goggles are for. I did not have an infection, as the pain ONLY occurred after swimming in that specific pool, AND the pain was eliminated when a protective barrier against the chlorine was introduced - vaseline.
|

replied May 4th, 2008
Glad I found this post - I had pain and red sore eyes, blurred vision, and a rash in the same areas as the poster.

I was only in the pool for 15 minutes and showered afterwards, but did keep my wet trunks on for an hour after. I open my eyes under water and always have done without problems before.

I read this post and immediately got my dad to check his pool levels. He had shocked the pool over a week ago, but guess what - the chlorine levels were high!!!

I have just soaked myself in the bath for 30mins but any other suggestions on remedies to take the soreness away ? Aloe Vera good enough ? I have just tried aqueous cream in the meantime.

Oh, and how long before my hair turns blonde!
|

replied July 1st, 2009
I'm glad I read this board, because my 3 kids all had irritated skin on their face/neck after swimming last weekend in a pool. I think the chlorine was too high because one of their friends also had facial irritation as well. It seemed weird that 4 kids out of 6 all had dry, red, patches of skin that burned if they put any kind of Caladryl, lotion, etc... on them. I am keeping them out of the pool for a few days to heal.
|

replied July 2nd, 2009
Swimming pool chemicals and Respiratory Chemical Exposure?
I'm in the same boat that alot of you are in right now. Last sept., My fiance' and I went swimming in our community pool at our condo. He just laid out on one of our floaties sunbathing and I swam around like a fish for about a hour and a half. I had noticed that the chemicals were a bit strong. It was affecting my eyes, nose and skin. I knew they had cleaned the pool the day before. I told my fiance' that we needed to get out of the water because I was starting to get sick feeling. I went and showered and right afterwards, my skin was on fire, my eyes hurt and were blurry, my hair started falling out in clumps and it felt like cooked spagetti that had been left out of water. Nothing I did would help. I had just started cleaning pools at my work place and the next day I told my boss what was going on with me and what happened. I gave me a test kit to test the chlorine and the muratic acid levels. At lunch I tested it and it was off the charts. That afternoon I started getting diarehha and started to get a fever. I skin started expelling a start chemical smell. I got headaches and blisters appeared in my eyes,throat,mouth, face, nose, bikini area,skin. I started to cough. My fiance' took me to the hospital and the diagnosed me with respiratory chemical exposure. I have had problems of all sorts since. MY hair after had to be cut and 12" hit the ground! We later found out that the pool cleaning co. had shocked the pool and didn't post signs. Tha Health Dept. closed is down and the Dr.'s informed me that if a small child would have been in that pool for a short time it could have been fatal! So if you sense something is wrong when you get in, there probably is!!!
By the way the floaties were Coleman, and were very thick, and the bottoms melted!
|

replied August 8th, 2009
Holy crap my genitals hurt so bad. And I'm going to piss bullets tommorrow? Crap... I read this and now I'm scared, my entire "area" hurts like hell and I have chemical burns on my fingers. Oh and nevermind the 49 mosquito bites I have on my legs and arms... yeah screw that. The pain between my legs is so much worse. But otherwise, I should be ok...

NOT GOOD. DONT SWIM IN POOLS WITH HIGH CHLORINE LEVELS!
|

replied August 10th, 2009
Can you get a chemical burn from swimming in chlorine pools?
Went swimming for 3.5 hours in local pool. My skin has been so sore now for two days, its tingling and buring not constintly but if i rub against it or sit on my legs it kills, the areas affected are my lower legs, back and sholders. But my 3 year old daughter is fine and was in for the same amount of time as me. What can this be is it that I have more sensitive skin than her?? There is no visable rash or reddness. Am I burnt??
|

replied May 15th, 2012
MY SKIN!!!!!!!!!
I see what you mean, and I am thinking the same thing. I went swimming 2 days ago. I didnt shower, and now my cheeks are rough,. No matter how many times I wash my face, the roughness wont go away. Will this be permanant? Is there a cure? HELP! i used to have nice, smooth skin. I dont wan to be like this forever. I need help.
|

replied May 15th, 2012
MY SKIN!!!!!!!!!
I see what you mean, and I am thinking the same thing. I went swimming 2 days ago. I didnt shower, and now my cheeks are rough,. No matter how many times I wash my face, the roughness wont go away. Will this be permanant? Is there a cure? HELP! i used to have nice, smooth skin. I dont wan to be like this forever. I need help.
|

replied January 12th, 2010
Burning after swimming
My daughter has always had a problem with pain when peeing after being in a pool with Chlorine in it. She loves to swim but pays the price afterwards as she is so afraid to pee because it burns so bad. I have tried vasoline but it does not seem to work. I asked her Doctor and he said there is nothing you can do. I guess she will not ever win a gold medal in swimming.
|

replied April 19th, 2010
chlorine burn
My son and daughter and 2 other friends swam in a hotel pool over the weekend. My son was the only one burnt. He was burning on his inner/upper thighs and his neck. He couldn''t stand to be touched. We did however rinse him in a bath and I put 100% Aloe on him. He was feverish for a short period. Now, two days later, the rash is still there but it looks more like polka dots than a rash. The dots are bright red and spread out and are very bright red on his white, white skin. I am going to put more aloe on, but man, that was rough! I found it strange, too, that it was almost solely on the thighs and back of his neck. But after reading here, I see that those areas must have just been the most sensitive on his body.
|

replied July 11th, 2010
chlorine burn
I had the same thing happen to me the other day. I went swimming in my buddies pool and I could tell that the chlorine was way too high. But when I got out, almost immediately I had a burning sensation on my testicles. I went home and noticed that my armpits were bright red and burning as well. I stupidly put on deoderant and this HURT so bad. I bought a Cortizone creame and also an anti-fungus cream (for athletes foot) which I applied to both areas. These both put me in so much pain that I had to stand in front of a fan for 10 min until it was tolerable. I have Not had any burning when I pee though. I think its different for everybody because other people were in the same pool and this didn't happen to them...
|

replied July 14th, 2010
Pool Chemical Burns
I notice burning irratiation around my panty line and the rash on my inner thighs, so bad that I am wearing my husbands boxers to avoid the elastic making is worse. I added shock to the pool just before getting out and it must have gotten in my elastic on my suit. I will not be getting in the pool for a while. Is there anything that has worked to releve the pain or to assist in the healing process that anyone has used.
|

replied August 29th, 2010
My 3yr old and 13 yr old IN PAIN!
About a month ago, my three yr old got out of a community pool with large raised rash in between his legs. He was screaming in pain! Nothing would sooth it except a cold water rag. I gave him some benadryl and just kept applying the rag. Still not putting two and two together what the cause was. Then, today, before we even got out of the pool, my teenager and his friend was complaining of the pain in their groins and walking bowlegged and my three yr old again got out screaming in pain. HUGE rash with blisters instantly! We put some benadryl spray on his legs, tylenol for pain and cold rags. The teenagers decided they would deal with it rather than me around their "manlyhood."
After finding this out on the web, I am certain this is what is happened.
|

replied November 28th, 2010
Burn
i swim 2/3 times a wk.have stopped due to the soles of my feet and heels burning, going red, looking glassy in texture and uncomfortable tingling beneath skin. i always wore flipflops and washed underside of feet well but it has got so bad that i think chlorine has burnt the soles of my feet. i used the jacuzzi too which i think has chlorine in and my feet are blasted with chlorine water from the jets. didn't have burn anywhere else. i'm having blood tests next week to check me out. I haven't been swimming for almost a week and still burning feet from time to time. any suggestions as to what to do to get it out of my system? i have been washing them etc., obviously!
|

replied November 29th, 2010
chemical burn while swimming in an indoor pool
Just got back from my regular swim at the gym, and halfway through, my face started feeling prickly. Usually my eyes start tearing up if the chlorine level is too high, but I knew it had to be due to some other chemicals. I should have gotten out but wanted to finish my workout (1.5 miles). My face kept getting this stinging/burning sensation (but no eyes tearing up). While showering, my whole face felt like it was burning. It hurt to even lightly touch it w/ my hands. After I got out and looked in the mirror, my whole face looked that windburn red and felt raw and burning. I stupidly made the mistake of putting lotion (unscented)on my face, which stung really badly. I'm also feeling a prickly/stinging sensation on my upper thighs. My lungs also feel strange, like I'm not getting enough air in them. My throat feels odd, too. Driving home, I also noticed that my fingernails on both hands had turned a yellowish color.

I lodged a complaint w/ the front desk at the gym, and they said they'd leave a note for the pool maintenance company who was due to come in a little later.

It sounds like I got a chemical burn?? : /
|

replied August 21st, 2011
Yes, client lost all the skin on my legs below my knees when a rola Chem automatic chlorinator put too much chlorine in the spa. Beware and if this happened to you please email me
|
12 >>
Tags: amounts, vagina, rash, skin
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Ana Aleksovska
User Profile
Dr. Mitaly Pathak Agarwal