Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Multiple Sclerosis Forum

Hysterectomy?

Must Read
Multiple sclerosis (MS) affects the brain and the spinal cord. But what is MS? And what types of MS do doctors diagnose? Basic facts on multiple sclerosis here....
Doctors know little about what causes multiple sclerosis (MS), but do understand the anatomy of the condition. Read one to learn about what happens during MS....
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis can be present during other medical conditions. Learn to identify early symptoms of multiple sclerosis, plus when to seek help....
Can anyone tell me if they have had a hysterectomy and how it affected your symptoms of ms? Im 33 years old and worried my ms will worsen. Im currently taking copaxone (2years) and have not had a relapes since I was diagnosed.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 22nd, 2004
Hysterectomy & Ms
Hello,

i am not sure if you had your hysterectomy yet, but I have ms and I just had a hysterectomy jan. 15, 2004. I too was afraid that the surgery would set off my ms symptoms, but so far it hasn't. There is so resting involved (and required) after the surgery that I think it actually helps with your ms! I also called my neurologist and asked him how I would do and he said to me "you will do fine, good luck with your surgery!" I would suggest that you call your neurologist and see what he/she says.

So, I speak for myself here, but I found that I am doing fine with no ms flare-ups. I am on rebif and I have had ms for ten years now.

Good luck and let me know what you decide!

Gail
|

Hi thank you so much for replying. I have not had on yet but it is in the future. I read an article where a lady had a hysterectomy and never had an ms flare up again. It had been 10 years. My nerologist said she has never heard of a study on this but said I should have no problems with the surgery. I will keep you posted. Thanks!!
|

You are welcome! You know, I was wondering if having a hysterectomy would stop the ms symptoms because there is a relation between hormones and ms symptoms. I almost considered joining a study at ucla about women with ms and taking something to lessen the symptoms (relating to hormones). Have you ever noticed that the week before your period your ms symptoms act up? Mine sure did.

Anyway, I will keep you updated if you want on how I am doing. Please do the same!

Gail
Smile
|

replied September 17th, 2004
Possible Ms And Having a Hysterectomy
Hi iris,
i'm brand new here and my neurologist is thinking I may have ms too. It could be I have been mis-diagnosed for years now. I am 35 year old mother of two and problems with my periods and births since I got my menstral at 12 years old. I think that if I don't have ms I may have another form of muscle disease and it is now causing many problems with my uterus.After all the uterus is a muscle too. Mine doesn't contract right and I bleed uncontrollably every month. I've also have had periods for as many as 67 days and went without a menstral for 4 months. I have also had lesions found near my spinal cord in two different mri's. I am having a muscle biopsy next month and hysterectomy in nov. Through out my life my hormones have also been out of control. I would always get very ill within two weeks of my periods. Have a week on my period, than I would usually only have one good week of feeling healthy. Good luck with everything. I could go on and on but I don't want to be greedy. Stacyhy Confused
|

replied September 21st, 2005
Hysterectomy And Multiple Sclerosis
I had a hysterectomy leaving only the ovaries and have had some complications with my ms. The neuro told me that this flare up could be because of the trauma the body has endured.
|

replied December 1st, 2008
Hysterectomy + MS
Hi,
I was diagnosed with MS in 2004. I have not had any exaserbations since starting Copaxone in the summer of 2004, but have suffered regularly from the fatigue, cognitive issues, numbness, twitching etc. I had my hysterectomy a week ago today. We didn't know until I was under that I had stage 4 endometriosis. They ended up taking the ovaries, which was not the original plan, so I am now in Menopause! Aside from the usual recovery of a major suregery, I am actually feeling better. I agree with one of the other postings, that getting rest in itself is probably helping. I also agree that there is some correlation between MS and Hormones, given my cyclical problems. I am looking forward to a future without the aches, pains and fatigue that came every 2 weeks, during menstration and ovulation. Part of my decision making process about having the hysterectomy was my belief that removing those menstral problems will help with my other symptoms. Time will tell.
|

replied November 12th, 2010
Hysterectomy and MS
Can anyone tell me if they had a hard time getting a Dr. to do their hysterectomy? I am on the Depo shot and having issues but if I have a period I have even worse symptoms. And is it better to leave your ovaries when you have a hysterectomy?
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov