Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

*~*seizures In Pregnancy*~*

Must Read
Learn the basics about various conditions and diseases, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options....
Learn about risk factors to developing a certain conditions and diseases. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for certain conditions and diseases....
Ok.. This is getting serious now...

My best friend has epilepsy.. Shes 28 weeks pregnant.

In the last month, shes had atleast 4 seizures.... One at the beginning of the month, one a week after that, and then one yesterday where she fell in the middle of a busy road (thankfully her husband was with her to catch her and lay her down in the median..) and then another one this morning.

They're becoming more and more frequent.. And its starting to scare everyone.

Our ob/gyno (we go to the same place) tells her that her seizures have no effect on the baby and not to worry... (how ignorant) but her neurologist tells her different.. She wants to see her immediately tomorrow morning to figure out what the hell is going on.

My mother, my aunt and I all are telling her that the neurologist is probably going to make them deliver that baby very soon, since its widely known that epileptics seizures get far worse when pregnant.. And hers are becoming more and more frequent..

My question is... Do any of u know any one that has had epilepsy and been pregnant? And maybe what the outcome was like?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 1st, 2006
Experienced User
I wish I could help you but I have no idea sorry!!!! I hope your friend gets better though
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Oh no, .Sandra! I remember you telling me abour her like 2 months ago. The poor girl. I really really hope she's ok &they figure out what's wrong.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Sandra, my dad bestfriends wife was in a very similar sitiuation, nothing happened to the baby(carried to term) but the mother made it out pretty rough. Now the only thing that happened was that the mother could not be alone after with the baby for a fear that she could have the seizure and the baby be hurt or left alone so by law someone had to be with her or she could have her child taken away.

Now the sad part to all of this is that the mother passed a year later but the father and baby are doing well if I remeber she knocked her head or had a stroke something to do with her head.

Im not saying this will happen to your friend everyone is different
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
My thoughts are with your friend and her baby! Their can be hope delivering at 28 weeks or maybe they might be able to get the seizures under control. Please, keep in touch and let us know how they are doing!
I hope your friend has a good neuro and she can always get another opinion.
All the best!
|

replied October 2nd, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
I had seizures during my first pregnancy, I was advised that after the baby was delivered that they wouldn't have an effect on the baby. But I dont' know. I didnt' have a seizure disorder though. My were caused by eclamsia.
|

replied May 11th, 2009
same boat
I have tonic clonic and am a dietician as well. My baby will be delivered at 34 or 35 weeks (as soon as amnio says his lungs are ready). My doctor who is head of high risk in my hospital and my neurologist have ben working together and I think that is probably the best advice - have the doctors consult regularly so that you are in the best hands as is your baby.

Good luck
|