Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Muscle Relaxers While Pregnant??

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
I have had this 'almost' migrain for 3 days now and I just can't seem to kick it. Relaxing and lying down actually increases the pain. I can't sleep. Plus I have two little ones to keep up with... Does anyone know about taking a muscle relaxer while pregnant? Is that harmful? Would it even help? I'm 10 weeks right now. I dont usually take drugs at all but this is becoming unbearable:) thanks for any information! (the muscle relaxer in the cupboard is called cyclobenzaprine 10mg from when my husband hurt his back)

-zu
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 27th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
I wouldn't take any medication that was prescribed 1. To someone else and 2. For another reason. Talk to your doctor please. They can recommend safe treatments that won't harm your baby. Don't take the pills.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Hmmm sorry but thats a giant no, no! Talk to your Dr. Before taking anything thats not prescribed!
|

User Profile
Supporter
I wouldn't suggest taking anything like that.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Seeing as ive been plauged with headaches that no one can tell me where they come from since I was very young I would sugest 2 things

1. Try to drink as much water as you can, headaches can and usuly will get worse if you are dehydrated

2. Try a cold pack, you can try it in one of 3 places (or all 3 if you want) the place on your head that actualy hurt, over your eyes, or on the back of your neck, this can sometimes help, especially migraines cause thats all dealing with blood vessles and stuff, and tension headaches cause that deals with mucles and tendons and whatnot

the only thing I would not sugest is you taking any kind of medication without talking to your doctor first

~alicia~
|

Extremely eHealthy
Give your doc a call and see what he says, don't take them without talking to him first
|

Thanks everyone for your kind advice :d ! Like I said, i'm usually a very natural person....No drugs...Not even processed foods (usually!) but pain will make you think of doing crazy things. I actually discoverd something that helped instantly! My sister made me this microwavable heating pad from rice, scented herbs and flannel. It's wonderful! I warmed it up and placed it over my eyes and forehead for like 5 min. And i'm 100% better! Thanks again everyone!
-zu
|

User Profile
Active User, very eHealthy
I get headaches alot too and I dont like to take meds. Something that is awesome if you haven't tried it is vicks vapor rub. Put a little on your forehead, and temples. I've done that for years and it works charms. Then you aren't putting anythign crazy into your system. Also that stuff called headon works pretty good.

Maybe call the doctors office and ask if you can use it first. Just incase.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Just a note that those head-on commercials are really annoying.

Lol.

I use a cold pack for my headaches!
It works quite well.
|

Oh! That's right! I remember using tiger balm with my 1st pregnancy. It works the same as vicks I think...But we have both on hand - so i'll try that too. Thanks for the reminder chrissy:)
|

User Profile
replied September 28th, 2006
Experienced User
Yeah, I would'nt take any muscle relaxers without talking to your doctor. Try a cold pack, or soaking your feet (yes I know that sounds weird for a headache but it works for headaches too), or the old fashioned way of just taking tylenol as directed. Have your hubby/boyfriend or someone rub your feet to. Other than that see your doctor as soon as you can. I got terrible migranes my last pregnancy. Those rice worms are great too. My mom makes those alot and sells them. I have a few of those on hand for all occasions lol
|

Especially eHealthy
arcadia wrote:
just a note that those head-on commercials are really annoying.

Lol.

I use a cold pack for my headaches!

It works quite well.

head on, apply directly to the forehead. Head on, apply directly to the forehead. Head on, apply directly to the forehead.

Sarah
|

[quote="babymajic050]
head on, apply directly to the forehead. Head on, apply directly to the forehead. Head on, apply directly to the forehead.

Sarah[/quote]

i hate that commercial with a passion!!
|

User Profile
replied September 29th, 2006
Another thing that my husband uses that works most of the time is liquid peppermint. You just rub it on your temples and above your eyebrows, right at your hair line. You can also put a little below your nose just for the smell. Make sure not to rub your eyes though after applying it because it will burn! This really help ease the pain if you can sit and relax after applying it. Hope you feel better!
|

Especially eHealthy
Peppermint oil is a great homeopathic remedy!!

You can also rub it on your scalp along with a massage.

Sarah
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Omega cream is a topical oinment that works miracles, it relieves muscles pains,headaches,gas,joint pain and I pay 2$ for it, I usually get it from a filipino store but the stuff is awesome, somewhat similar to a pepperment ointment.
|