Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

Hpv

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
Hi, I just went in today to get on birth control, so my doctor did the usual pap smear that's required to get on the pill. She said that she found an area inside my vagina that is rougher than the other areas of the walls. She is worried that I have hpv. I have done a lot of research on it, and I am pretty sure that I have it......I have had many yeast infections in the past 6 months, and it is painful when I urinate (so I am guessing I have a urinary tract infection). Is there any way that this virus was not sexually transmitted? Also, will this affect my sex life?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 27th, 2006
If your doctor had done a pap smear it would show whether you have abnormality in the cells around your cervix rather than saying that there is roughness in some areas.

Hpv virus is a sexually transmitted disease. Most people get it but only women are affected by it seriously. There are different types of hpv. Some women/men get warts and some women get a more serious problem, hence, the abnormality of the cells which could then lead to cervical cancer. There is really no cure for the hpv virus once you get it. But your body heal itself from it and you wont get the same type twice.

Based on what you said, it might be possible that you have the abnormality in your cervix and you would need to have a colposcopy along with a biopsy to determine how serious it is. If there are a lot of damage in your cervix, you might need to have a surgery called letz/leep/lletz along with a cone biopsy to remove these cells depending on the severity of your case. And you would need to get a pap smear every 3months for some time to check whether there are no more changes in the cells.

If you do these procedure, you wont be able to have sex for atleast a week after the first biopsy and then 3 weeks or more after your operation. They also do not recommend for you to get pregnant soon after the operation as your cervix will still be weak from the operation and it might cause a miscarriage.

If you are sexually active right now, hopefully you are in a monogamous relationship until you get a proper treatment . As you will infect your partner with the virus and he will be a carrier and pass it on to another woman.

I hope this gives you an idea what hpv can do to you and hopefully your pap will be negative results of this virus.
|

User Profile
replied September 28th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Well I have the hpv and nothing at all really happened. There are many different strains of the virus and fortunatetly the one I had was not one of the real bad strains so it cleared up by itself in one year and half. The colposcopies always came up negative. If you don't have any of the bad strains then you don't need to worry but you can't miss to have the pap smears and that is for the rest of your life. Since the virus never dissapears (but incorpartes in the dna leading to a dormant state) it is important to always have your pap's on schedule cause you don't know if it might flare again in the future. If you have contracted one of the bad strains then that will be a little rough on you because the problem with bad strains of the hpv is that you need to have surgery (leeps, cryo, cone biopsies) and those procedures weaken the cervix (specially if you have more than one) and that can affect fertility (means if the cervix is cut too much it won't be able to hold the weight of a baby). But hopefully your results will be negative and you won't have any problems. Hpv has nothing to do with urinary track infections and it doesn't cause any pain or anything.
|

replied October 9th, 2006
Re: Hpv
ktb2488 wrote:
hi, I just went in today to get on birth control, so my doctor did the usual pap smear that's required to get on the pill. She said that she found an area inside my vagina that is rougher than the other areas of the walls. She is worried that I have hpv. I have done a lot of research on it, and I am pretty sure that I have it......I have had many yeast infections in the past 6 months, and it is painful when I urinate (so I am guessing I have a urinary tract infection). Is there any way that this virus was not sexually transmitted? Also, will this affect my sex life?

hpv is acuired through sexual contact if the lesions are present inside your vagina. There are hpv strains that cause lesions (bumps) on the genitals (labia, penis, anus, perineum), like visible. These strains are spread by skin to skin contact. The strains that cause lesions on cervix are high-risk hpv strains because they can lead to cervical cancer.

If you have hpv that causes warts on outer genitals, you won't be allowed to have sex when the warts are present and visible because you will spread them to your partner with or without the condom. If you have conndylomas on your cervix only, I don't think you will spread them. My girlfriend had them on cervix and didn't pass anything to me and we were having unprotected sex
|

User Profile
replied October 9th, 2006
Advanced Support Team
Men don't really get symptoms and regardless of which type of hpv you have you can spread it even if its just abnormal cells. Men basically are the carriers so if a man sleeps with a woman who has hpv regardless of which kind (unprotected) he can carry it to another woman and cause her to have the warts or abnormal cancerous cells.
|