Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Slow Heart Rate (Page 1)

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
I went to my doctor 5 years ago because I was feeling tired and lethargic. He did some blood tests and they came back fine so he put me on a 24 hour holter monitor. The monitor showed that at 5.30am my heart rate while asleep was 33bpm, the rest of the time while resting it was in the 40-50 and while awake in the 60's. He referred me to a cardioligist, he did all the heart tests including another 24 hour monitor this time while asleep my heart rate was 46 bpm at one stage the rest of the time the same as before. After all the tests - stress test, ecg, ekg, bloods, ultra sound on my heart, lung test etc he told me that I suffer from anxiety but my heart if fine. I got pregnant had my daughter and then decided I wanted to double check this so I went to another cardioligist all the same tests - the holter monitor showed a reading of 48 while sleeping. And he told me the same I am health and there if anything is stress in my life that causes anxiety. Some times I feel tired and faint but the doctor tells me this is my anxiety and when I take my pulse when I feel like this it is 60-65ish.

My questions is why would my heart rate have dropped to 33bpm, is this dangerous and should I have regular check or see someone else? During the day my heart rate is around 60 - 70 when I check it (and the monitors all show this),so why is it dropping at night. Please answer - not sure why I am stressing about it now it has just come back and hit my like a tonne of brick that I never got an answer.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Jenna2
|
Users who thank Bek for this post: rosie23 

replied October 31st, 2006
Experienced User
Re-post - Anyone
???
|

replied November 30th, 2011
Well, I was worrying about my heart a little bit, and decided to look around on the internet. It is great to know there are others that are going through the same thing.

I thought I would share a little about myself. I've also been worrying about my slow heart rate. I've been kind of an anxious person, through high school, and since I've started going to college. I've also had panic attacks, not fun, and very scary. I worry about my heart at times, went to the doc, got a blood test and a heart monitor. Blood test, fine, heart monitor, doc said I don't have any problems.

The heart monitor (48hr)showed a min. heart rate of 26 bpm! This kind of worries me, but then again, the doc saw this, and didn't point it out, or say anything about it. My max. heart rate was 122. Avg. heart rate 48. When I take my heart rate while resting, it's usually low 50's, high 40's. I took my heart rate before getting out of bed one morning, it was a solid 40.

I used to be fairly fit, I ran track and cross country in h.s. for 2 years (now 21). Now I don't exercise so much.

From what I've read, I'm thinking I just have a low heart rate, and that I'm really fine.
|

User Profile
replied November 2nd, 2006
Advanced Support Team
Everything in your body slows down at night including your heart. Your heart dosen't have to work as hard when you are in a state of rest. I do not think 33bpm was too low or else your doc would have brought immediate attention to it. Maybe you were extremely tired during those times in which you had that first holter monitor. Not sure what to tell you but id relax (i know its hard) they would have found something if there was anything wrong. Worrying will only make your stress leve rise and make things worse for you. Good luck!
|

replied November 5th, 2006
Experienced User
Thanks jaydensmommy. That does make sense, just hard to handle when I am having an anxiety attack. I check my pulse 4 or 5 times a day even when feeling good and my heart rate is always about 60 - 65. When slightly anxious it is about 80 and when very anxious it is about 95. I get more of a pounding then an increased rate

thanks so much for replying and if you have anything that you need help with or want to ask a couple of questions please contact me and I will see if I can help
|

replied November 9th, 2006
Hey bek,

stop checking your pulse! If you went to a cardiologist, and he said your fine then you've got to stop worrying. Checking you pulse 20 times a day can drive you crazy and make you panic because you're worried about it. I had to see a counselor about it because I had to get out of the habit of checking my pulse every 5 mins, once I stopped doing that the anxiety and everything else along with it stopped. That is my advice to you.
|

replied November 15th, 2006
Just a couple questions:

do you exercise regularly?

Is there any noticeable pain or discomfort in your chest throughout the day?

How's your blood pressure?

You should consider there are many factors when approximating a normal heart rate for any individual. Diet, exercise, & family history, along with other variables, play a definitive role.
|

replied November 15th, 2006
Experienced User
I walk twice a week - sometimes more for about an hour, my blood pressure is fine just had a 24 hour monitor and the only chest pain that I get is when I am anxious - never when exercising.
|

replied November 24th, 2006
Are You Athletic
Those who perform high intestity cardio-vascular workouts, particularly long distance running, tend to have low heart rates. I typically, during the day have a heart rate in the lows 60's, at night, mine too will drop into the high 30's and low 40's. If you tend to be athletic, your heart has learned to not work as hard during the rest of your day. How's your blood pressure?
|

replied December 27th, 2011
Anxiety or some thing else?
Am 16 did cardiovascular Exersises for a year. for this past week i've expierance some fainting and fatigue symptoms.went to the hospital took some blood examples and eaven a cat escan everything was fine.they've first told me i've some high blood preasure but nothing to worry about. I go home forsome rest... At 7 pm the symptoms Came Back even worse i felt that my chest was hurting and felt it " skip" a beat. Quickly i've got up from my Seat feel a fainting feeling i call 991. Went to hospital again now they cheacked my preasure,blood,urin,temperature and every other thing..... Same answere your fine they gave me some medicine and some liquid they put in your vains. The doctor saw me and told me you had panic/anxiety attack. went home with a shook. anxiety?. i dint care the doctor told me i went to get a echo test "heart" and xray of my body.told me your fine.Well i call the ambulance again now my symptoms were Cold feet/hand turning in a wite color,fatige, fainting felling, light headed,dizzynes. They check me and told me " high blood preasure " my heart rate fine. They suggested go to the hospital thats not normal for a 16 yr old but not alarming.couldn't go i was traveling. But i dont know what to do the symptoms ar presistent and strong /feling light headed, low heart pulse, intense cold and numness un feet and hands,my veinis turned skiny, tired, chest pains,and zineef or brain fog. Can some one answer me please am very worried.
|

replied July 13th, 2009
low heart rate
I'm having the same situation during the day my heart rate will drop to low fortys, I work a desk job and i get really tired, can't keep my eyes open, sometimes this happens driving home too. I had the 24 monitor and my lowest rate came back a 39 and during the times I reported having the tired spells durting work the rate ranged between 46 and 53, I'm about 30 pounds overweight, and not athletic by any means I have 3 kids and work on houses and cars in my spare time never have any instances unless I'm sitting down. This used to happen to me in college and high school too but I always just thought it was cause I was bored and didn't go to bed early enough the night before, I never new my heart rate was dropping so low, during regular mannual work activity my heart rate ranges from 60 to about 68 is there anything that can be done to help me stay awake, Caffine isn't working for me at all and I don't want to get in trouble at work for nodding off. The only other thing I have read about is getting a pace maker and I'm not looking foward to that. Should I be concerned?
|

replied July 14th, 2009
Same problem here ? I have a pulse that stays in the 60's all day and falls around 50 at night before I fall asleep . So I know it drops lower as I sleep . I then wake and my pulse will go from around 70 to low 100's .. 115 being my highest seen . This will happen for the first 2 or 3 hours of my day . then it will quickly fall back into the 60's while not doing alot of activity . 70's if I am doing something a little more physical . But I feel tired all the time . Would like to find out what is going on . and dose anyone else have this kind of problem? Thanks
|

replied July 17th, 2009
Heart rate slow Long QT syndrome
I have a heart rate that stays in the low 50s and 40s during the day. I used to have a heart rate around 62 and was told that was great due to I used to be a long distance runner. Two years ago I started feeling faint and tired...did the heart monitor for a month, EKG, Stress test and all. I was told that I had a perfectly normal heart and could do whatever it needed to do at a rate of 42bpm. So why do I have to feel so tired and what can I do about it? By the way, my 3 EKG's showed Long QT syndrome....still the doctor said don't worry. He gave me a list of medicines to NOT TAKE AND TOLD ME TO NOT SWIM OR RUN ALONE AGAIN. Should I be worried?
|

replied August 8th, 2009
slow heart rate
hi, i'm having similiar problems myself... i'm 23 years old and my heart rate is alays slow unless im doing any physical exercise, it goes from one extreme to another. for example: over the last few months i have been checking my pulse quite often and at any time of rest, even during the day, my pulse is always between 42-55 bpm (never higher).. i had an ECG 2 weeks ago and the results showed my rate was 44bpm.. had blood tests etc too and they came back clear.. doc isn't overly worried and hasn't suggested anything at all but i kinda am a little concerned, because i cant see how having such a slow rate every part of every day (besides during exercise) is normal and not dangerous.. sorry for blabbering on, but if there is anyone who has been through the same sorta thing but for a longer period of time please can you help ease my concerns because frankly its driving me mad now.. appreciate it
|

replied June 7th, 2012
Hi i am also 23 years old and i to have a low heart rate.
All of you have the same symptoms almost it seems.
one thing you have to look at is how long has it been doing this ? because low hart rates arn't all ways bad it means your hart is healthy most of the time . are you over weight ? do you smoke? caffine during the day?
a lot of things come into play with the hart.
have you ever had your (thyroid) looked at?
that will make you feel cold lite headed sweaty exs...
i would not worry about it because if your hart stoped you would not have time to worry about it you would be down on the ground . it sounds to me that most of you are healthy . but just a little worried to death try not cheaking your pulse for a day and keep your mind some where els then see how you feel at the end of the day .
|

replied August 8th, 2009
Heart Rate, Anxiety
Im 19 bout to be 20. I've had anxiety for about 2 years now, so I freak out about everything! I have been checking my heart rate everyday at least 60-80 times a day. Recently I noticed my heart rate was around 52. I was a little concerned. Then the next night I was laying down on the couch and I checked it. it was right around 44 BPM. I called my mom over haha she brought a wrist blood pressure machine over. I really got freaked out when it said 163/92 Ive been told the're not very accurate. I went to the ER. They checked my HR and BP by then my Hr had gone up (from anxiety) my Bp was around 150/81. Im 5'11 150lbs worked out for about 5 years and on and off this whole last year. The Doc just said that it is fine. Also that I will live longer. He said no worries 40-46 The lower your heart rate the less it has to work + you live longer.... Just watch for excessive tiredness, also dizziness. Even with these don't freak out cause there also accociated with anxiety. Its best to ask your Doc about any questions you have! O yeah (this is already to long)Anyone know what it means when after I've been sitting for awhile and I stand up and walk to somewhere and stop, my heart rate is slow and very hard. Not always just sometimes. Also a little pain, but I think the pain is from the way I slouch on my knees. So the pounding hurst my breatbone....
|

replied June 7th, 2012
it is your blood pressure dont worry you are fine .
try not thinking about your hart it will help and stop checking your pulse it just makes you worry more if your hart was goning to give out you would not have time to react anyway so live life to the fullest befor it passes you by
|

replied January 18th, 2010
Checkin pulse
CrazyBam,

This is exactly what i have been goin thru. I dont know why I check my pulse sop often. Sometimes I just tell myself well it hasnt stopped so stop worrying. I have white coat syndrome so my bp is off the charts when they take it. Im just tired of this feeling. Yeah my anxiety has come back with a vengance, I checked my pulse in my neck twice just typing this...gotta stop
|

User Profile
replied May 10th, 2010
Slow heart rate and anxiety
I had an anxiety attack the other day, blood pressure 200 over 110, heart rate of 60, 60 is abnormal for me because my heart rate sits at 50 normally and the strange thing is that even when in intense anxiety, I have a heart rate of 50 "what the", heart rates can stay low when even anxiety and most of the time speed up, eventually you will calm the f#$% down, and get over it..YOUR heart will not stop..You know what is happening here, we keep looking for the problems, stop looking for problems that are not there...take control of your anxiety and see a doctor, relax...by the way, don't stop exercising this is important, get out of the house right now and take a long walk...I feel sorry for us, power to the anxiousness and intelligent, we have to start living more than thinking about dieing, we are young, be young...thankyou for your advise at the top, what would we do without discussion.
|
Users who thank maleman112 for this post: asantoro 

User Profile
replied September 7th, 2010
anxiety and panic attacks
i has anxiety, I check pulse morning to afternoon 5o to 80bpm... night time before bed 37 to 50s bpm. when i see 37 bpm make me freak out n panic attacks. went to er as many time... they said ur heart is good and not gonna to heart attacks.... but why heart is slow?
|

replied September 28th, 2010
I can completely relate with wanting to monitor your pulse throughout the day. I finally told myself that I was going to go the whole day without checking it, and then 2 days, and then 3 days... and now, I don't feel the need to check it all the time, and my anxiety is much improved. Try it and trust your body to carry you through this life.
|

replied October 15th, 2010
I am having the same experience. From what I am told, if you feel fine- no fainting or extreme fatigue your heart is fine. Also, since you have had so many tests I would say even more so you are healthy. I suffer from anxiety and my chest feels tight and i get light-headed but I have a slow hear rate. My doctors encourage me that a slow heart rate is actually healthy and if anything much safer than if my heart were racing. I would try looking into relaxation techniques or talking with someone about your anxiety. Anxiety most often comes in the form of false heart problems and then you can get stuck in a vicious cycle. I would trust your tests and your doctors on this one. Jesus has brought me a lot of peace in my life through my anxiety by reminding me of His goodness and promises of restoration. Life has a lot of demands and pain and we have a God who is not the author or fear.
|

replied February 18th, 2011
hi every one who is worried about thrir heart beats.its all about anxiety.when any one become more anxious,the level of serotinin in brain disturbs which causes heart rate disturbances.its all about the neurotransmiter in brain.please be relax.resting heart rate upto 30 is consider normal.GOD HELP U ALL DEAR FRINDS.AMEN
|

replied March 28th, 2011
Low heart rate Anxiety
I have been feeling the same way, I am 21 dont drink or smoke and the other night I happened to notice my pulse was very low and it was at 42 bpm. I went to the ER because it scared me to have a pulse this low and the DR said I was just fine, even while the monitor they had me on kept beeping and blinking that I had a low/irregular heart rate. The other week it would be over 100 bpm all day long. I had a 24 hour holter a month prior to all of this which recorded a low of 48 bpm while resting. The results of that were fine, I also had a stress echo and that came back fine along with lots of blood work, all fine. I too have anxiety but it is because I am bothered by my heart all the time. As soon as I start feeling fine for a couple of days, I notice something different like my low heart rate or whatever and it just makes me want to run to the ER. I am sick of all of this but glad to see that I am not the only one!
|

replied March 30th, 2011
weird heart problems but no answers
i have kind of the same thing i had every test ekg echo caterzation blood test throid pottsium cat scans the hole 9 they cant find anything but they put me on med when it goes up but when its slow they say i fit i dont exercise so we need answers i have 4 kids that need me any help out there hope we find it
|

replied January 18th, 2012
I have the same thing. Im so tired
|

replied March 30th, 2011
we need some good doctors like we had years ago now they all care about is money not there money makers just money and the worst hospitals are in hazleton pa 18201 trust me philly is ok
|
12 >>