Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gout Forum

How Long Does the Redness Last?

Must Read
Gout is a common type of arthritis and accounts for about 5% of all cases of arthritic condition. But what is gout and what are the stages of this condition?...
Gout manifest for physical reasons...but what puts you at a greater risk of developing the disease? What risk factors should you avoid?...
Gout present symptoms mainly in the joints. Learn which signs to look for, and when you should seek medical help and diagnosis of gout....
I had my first attack on july 4th this year. Thought (or hoped) I broke my toe but somehow just knew it wasn't true.

I'm 44 years old. Otherwise healthy. Not overweight. At the time I was on a high protein diet (the zone)

i've found the baking soda to be very helpful. I have a 1/2 teaspoon in 4 ounces of water twice daily upon waking and before I go to bed. Occasionally, if i've had food off the list or more than two glasses of wine, I will also do the treatment.

I've had very little pain since starting the baking soda. I'm still on the torturous "ovo-lacto" vegetarian diet. But now at least I can have a glass or two of wine with dinner without any side effects.

The first time I went shopping, after being diagnosed and reading all the materials and the extraordinary list of high and moderate purine foods, I nearly had a breakdown. Literally had to walk out of the store before I started crying. (i think it was trying to find cereal that wasn't "whole grain" that put me over the edge). It was bad enough to give up beer, as I was an occasional home-brewer, and red meat wasn't hard for me as I only had red meat maybe once a month for the last 18 years. But chicken, fish, certain vegetables....It was hard for a guy who once went to culinary school.

So i've been extraordinary religious about the foods. Glad that I read labels that I didn't before. Happy that I was not affected by the spinach scare. And very thankful for this forum and "i cured my gout" and jy's baking soda treatment.

That's my story. Here's my question: how long does the redness last? I haven't had any pain for some time (other than minor aches). Been doing the baking soda for over a month. I have had some days with little redness but not consistently.

Btw I have kept a food log for some time and I find it's also about finding what triggers attacks for you. I assume everyone is different.
Did you find this post helpful?
|