Medical Questions > Abortion > Medical Abortion Forum

Need Help! Is Abortion Safe At 6 Months?

Must Read
A D&C is a standard procedure. But it can be scary when you don't know what to expect. Learn about what happens during dilation and curettage to prepare yoursel...
Dilation and curettage, or D & C for short, is a procedure that is used to diagnose and treat a number of womens health conditions. What are some goals of a D a...
A D&C usually is free of problems, and the recovery period for the procedure is short. But knowing about possible complications can help you detect problems ea...
A freind of mine is pregnant at 6 months and she
's considering abortion, is it safe?? What would be the consequences? Pls someone reply soon cz im desparate!!
Is there anyone u know that has done it at that time frame and succeeeded?? Reply soon!!!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Drjspender
|

User Profile
replied September 23rd, 2006
Active User, very eHealthy
No honey- its not safe. And there probibly isnt anyone legal in the world that will carry out an abortion at 6 months. Tell your friend its too late luv-shes a mum now.
|

Especially eHealthy
Yes, an abortion at 6 months is extremely illegal, and would only be performed if the fetus suddenly died. At this point I think that even if the mother were at risk, the doctors would induce labor and not abortion, and try to save both the mother and the fetus.

Your friend is just going to have to wait out these last three months, and then keep the child or give it up for adoption.
|

I concur with what others have said. It's far too late for an abortion now, unless your friend wants to risk going to some back-alley doctor to have her insides scrambled with a coat hanger. Now all she can do is hope and pray that the fetus already died, or will die before it's born.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
cambion wrote:
i concur with what others have said. It's far too late for an abortion now, unless your friend wants to risk going to some back-alley doctor to have her insides scrambled with a coat hanger. Now all she can do is hope and pray that the fetus already died, or will die before it's born.

or she can use a freakin condom-or get the abortion in the first tri.
|

nataliachick7 wrote:
cambion wrote:
i concur with what others have said. It's far too late for an abortion now, unless your friend wants to risk going to some back-alley doctor to have her insides scrambled with a coat hanger. Now all she can do is hope and pray that the fetus already died, or will die before it's born.

or she can use a freakin condom-or get the abortion in the first tri.
too late for either of these suggestions.

There is no legal way to obtain an abortion at 6 months unless the mother's health or life is being threatened by the continuation of the pregnancy.

At 6 months (or 24-26 weeks), induced labor itself would be quite risky and very, very painful - possibly even more painful than full term birth. At full term, or closer to it than 24-26 weeks, the weight of the soon to be neonate helps the mother apply sufficient pressure to the cervix so that delivery is easier, with less pushing, than if the fetus weighs less. Premature births are often much harder than full weight births because there is not enough weight to help progress the labor along during the pushing. At 24-26 weeks, the fetus' lack of weight would make it substantially harder to push out and thus, would cause more time and pain during induced labor.

Your friend, I am afraid, has little choice but to continue with the pregnancy until birth. Unless her own doctor has told her that she should consider an abortion/induced labor, there is very little that can be done. If her doctor has told her that, best of luck in finding a physician who will help.
Peace,
jenn
|

replied September 24th, 2006
Experienced User
?
Shocked
|

User Profile
Re: That May Be the Case Where You Live?
jungle juice wrote:
but in the uk 24 weeks is aloud,and legal.

Fly to uk hun x

who told you that? You can't get a legal abortion in the u.K at 6 months. Dont know what stories you've heard.

Yogi. Your mate is a mum now. She has to do whats best for the baby. Aborting it illegally at 6 months is out of order. She will have to sit out the next 3 months and give it up for adoption if she really doesnt want it.

What I dont get is why she has left it so late to consider abortion?
|

Extremely eHealthy
Abortion in the uk is available up to and during the 24th week for what people refer to as 'social' abortions and up to birth for severe maternal health problems or severe foetal disability. It's in the abortion act 1967 (as ammended by the hfe act 1990) - it was the 1990 act which introduced the 24week time limit (it's in section 1(a) if I remember correctly)
|

replied September 26th, 2006
Experienced User
Thankyou
Social abortions,i am correct,who told me ? Google thats who. (cherry 8Cool
|

Extremely eHealthy
Re: Thankyou
jungle juice wrote:
social abortions,i am correct,who told me ? Google thats who. (cherry 8Cool

you are incorrect because you clearly didnt get what anyone has said....Re-read the post previosu to yours...
|

Extremely eHealthy
Re: Thankyou
emma2 wrote:
jungle juice wrote:
social abortions,i am correct,who told me ? Google thats who. (cherry 8Cool

you are incorrect because you clearly didnt get what anyone has said....Re-read the post previosu to yours...

she is not incorrect, the law of enland and wales states that the first sub-section (ie 'social' abortions) are allowed up to and during the 24th week (i have provided the correct law and sections too and I have studeied medical law for my degree also)
|

replied May 25th, 2009
Abortions at 6 months
That are statutes in each state that determine the number of weeks that an abortion can be performed. In the State of Florida, abortions are performed legally up to 24 weeks. Physicians calculate pregnancies in weeks and not months. For those who say that an abortion cannot be performed at 6 months do not know State Law, or they have an agenda where they do not want to see abortions be performed at all. Under Physicians that have the experience and expertise, abortions can be performed up to 24 weeks safely and effectively with minimal to no side effects or complications.
|