Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Staph Infection Shoulder Joint

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
Has anyone heard of a anybody getting a staph infection in the joint from a cortisone injection
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 15th, 2004
Yes
I tore up my knee pretty bad in 1974, acl and miniscus removed, ligaments re-attached.

For years I would get a monthly injection of cortisone into knee, in 1984 I woke up in the middle of the night with a 105 degree temp and a knee that was swollen out to basketball size.

Was diagnosed during lenghty hospital stay as having a staph bug, doctor said that it could have come from a shot.
|

replied April 16th, 2004
Staph is one of the most common infections you can get.

Staph is on the skin, staph is in the air, it can be picked up anywhere.

Before anything enters your system it has to be clean and the point of entry be clean too. Staph could have been on the tip of the needle or on the skin, it's real hard to determine how it got into your joint was what I was told.
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov