Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Rushes of Adrenalin In My Sleep Keeping Me Awake. (Page 1)

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
Hi all,

i have been having these rushes of adrenalin in my body just as I go to sleep, and it is keeping me awake. It only happens as I am just about to fall asleep this rush of something comes over me and wakes me up with a shock. Im not sure what it is but its keeping me up all night.

Anyone know what this is or experincing the same thing?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Ranchero10
|

replied September 21st, 2006
Experienced User
Hey im not sure what it is either but I get the same rushes everynight I get them in my head and sometimes my body it seems that I try to fall asleep and when im hlf asleep I get a shock and my whole body jumps its very scary im wondering if this has to do with nerves.
|

replied December 18th, 2011
This is happening to me as i type this i cant get to sleep i have a really tight feeling in my chest and everytime i try and fall asleep i wake up suddenly. Also my house creaks and usually i dont notice but when im like this the sounds put me on edge, this happens to me very irregularly and last happened about 4 months ago
|

replied March 6th, 2012
I have the same problem with crazy adrenaline rushes that wake me up at night. Sounds to me like you have a lot on your plate. Subconsciously you are worried and fearful of the future so your body is going into the fight or flight mode. Not only that now you are worried about going to bed cause you fear of another adrenaline rush. What you need to do is talk to a therapist or counselor (not a drug prescribing psychiatrist, drugs are just a bandaid.) He or she can calm you down by helping you come to terms about those fears and worries. In addition, you can exercise preferably 3-4 hours prior to bedtime which will help regulate adrenaline, do breathing exercises, and again, I reiterate a good counselor to calm your fears/worries.
|

replied January 1st, 2013
Adrenaline rushes at night - wakes me up
I have been having these for about two years. Keeps me up a lot at night. i have to be exhausted in order to have a full night sleep. Have had many tests, and yes it is related to stress, but moreover adrenal gland fatigue. I didn't think I was stressed, but not getting sleep increases my stress and fatigue. My son was sick last year for a month, and i got totally worn down going back and forth to the Stollery hospital, which added to my problem. There are a few things you can do, such as cut down on salt, sweets and caffein. Meditation really helps if you can get into that. And of course doing low cardio exercise will help with mental stress. Even if you don't think you have any. A 24 hr urine test can diagnose if you have adrenal fatigue, so seek the advice of your doctor and don't let them put you on meds without doing tests first. That solves nothing and could mask other problems. Hopes this helps. You aren't alone in having these symptoms.
|

replied January 2nd, 2013
I use to get those shocks too...it is either high cortisol which is related to adrenaline or neurotransmitter problem in the brain which a anti-depressant will take care of it, like luvox or remeron.
|

replied June 30th, 2008
Same thing happens to me
Same thing happens to me. I can't sleep without the help of Ambien or anything else. This has been happening to me for about 3 weeks now with no improvement. I took Cipro three days before this all happened. I'm not sure if it's associated. I hope to get some answers soon.
|

replied March 6th, 2012
I have the same problem with crazy adrenaline rushes that wake me up at night. Sounds to me like you have a lot on your plate. Subconsciously you are worried and fearful of the future so your body is going into the fight or flight mode. Not only that now you are worried about going to bed cause you fear of another adrenaline rush. What you need to do is talk to a therapist or counselor (not a drug prescribing psychiatrist, drugs are just a bandaid.) He or she can calm you down by helping you come to terms about those fears and worries. In addition, you can exercise preferably 3-4 hours prior to bedtime which will help regulate adrenaline, do breathing exercises, and again, I reiterate a good counselor to calm your fears/worries.
|

User Profile
replied July 7th, 2008
Root cause of adrenaline rush
i always get that when i'm on a stressful work project. And whenever the project's done, the rush just dissipates. BTW sleeping pills are just a band aid. I stopped when they made me feel worse the next day
|

replied July 13th, 2008
hiya
hi, im the same, i suffer panic attacks, i wake up for no reason and then i worry about all or nothing, maybe i have a pain or i cant breath right, before you know it im in a big twist over nothing, it maybe nothing but that what wakes me up, it could just be a coincidence because before i suffered with the attacks i used to wake up at a certain time for nothing.
|

replied March 6th, 2012
|

User Profile
replied August 6th, 2008
Experienced User
like when im in bed just to bout to go to sleep my leg will sometimes twitch and ill be turnin over and over like i thought i was so tired but im still awake but eyes shutt and tryin to concintrate n sleepin but thoughts come and keep wakin up to constaly look at the clock its like man i wish i had a sleepin pill that would work.
|

replied March 6th, 2012
|

replied March 7th, 2012
My adrenalin rushes started when I tried aerobics to cure my drug withdrawals and depression. I first noticed them when I stopped the aerobics. They start when I dream and in the early morning get very strong so that I never sleep through the night and often get up early feeling like a nervous wreck of adrenalin.
They seem to be associated with eating late at night (makes much worse)... It is a hell.
I am going back to doing a half hour of aerobics right before bedtime and see if this helps...am willing to try anything at this stage (6 months).
|

replied September 13th, 2008
yes im exactly the same,its been happening for about 3 months now and ive got so frightened about going to sleep that i cant even go to bed,i just stay awake all night downstairs watching tv untill i eventually pass out through sheer exhaustion.if anyone finds out how to cure this without relying on sleeping tabs please post it cause in so tired!!
|

replied September 13th, 2008
same problem
I've been having the same problem for about two years now and my doctor has had me on so many different drugs I've lost count. We even did a sleep clinic to try and find my problem and we still didn't figure it out. The drugs didn't help either. So I don't know what to tell you. Sounds like we are all a bunch of tired people though. I stay awake pretty much all night watching TV and then again all day. I average about two to three hours of sleep one night and one hour the next if I am lucky and this is all the time. Hopefully you will find out what your problem is and get it fixed soon, I'd hate for it to last as long as mine has. It is pretty bad when even the sleep aides that they prescribe don't help either. They say that the chemicals in my body work against them and I refuse to take the hard narcotics for fear of becoming dependant on them. Good Luck, Hope you get some ZZZZZZZ's soon.
|

replied September 19th, 2008
I've been having this problem for the past three nights. Two of the nights I woke up at exactly midnight, the tonight I woke up at exactly 1am. It's 2:30 now and I'm just starting to wind back down.

At first I thought I was having nightmares but when I check my heart rate it's around 60bpm. I do wake up a tad bit clammy though.

Being a health forum, I don't believe in "too much info" so here's a little background:

Since around February of this year I've been dealing with internal hemorrhoids. They were not bad for a long while until a night at the gym when I was doing leg press. That night I had the urge to go but came to find I could not. Since then, it's been the same story of self medicating with suppositories, fleets enemas, stool softeners, mineral oil, and fiber. As of now I've only actually used 5 enemas. Two of them were at the hospital where I went to the ER because I was having terrible cramps and had not passed a stool for going on 6 days. The reason I bring this up is because the enemas made me pretty sick. For about a week after the hospital visit, I couldn't hold down anything besides sips of water. The next time it just made me a little sick, using only one. 4 days ago I used one again it didn't make me sick. I used one again today because I was starting to have unbearable cramps and once again did not make me sick but suddenly I'm having these rushes at night. I don't know if they are related whatsoever but I figured it should be thrown out there.

I will continue to research this problem to see if I can find the answer for some of us. In the mean time, please, if anyone has any information on this, please post.

Tryin2hard: From your description it sounds like you may have "restless leg syndrome."

Body

* Allergy problems, increase in allergies (number, sensitivity, reactions, lengthier reactions)
Back pain, stiffness, tension, pressure, soreness, spasms, immobility in the back or back muscles
* Body temperature increase or decrease, change in body temperature
* Burning skin, itchy, “crawly,” prickly or other skin sensations, skin sensitivity, numbness on the skin
* Chronic Fatigue
* Clumsiness, feeling clumsy
* Electric shock feeling
* Excess of energy, you feel you can’t relax
* Falling sensation, feel like your are falling even though you aren't
* Heart palpitations, racing heart
* Increased or decreased sex drive
* Neck, back, shoulder pain, tightness/stiffness
* Night sweats, waking up in a sweat, profusely sweating at night
* No energy, feeling lethargic, tired
* Persistent muscle tension, stiffness
* Rib or rib cage tightness, pressure, or feeling like a tight band around the rib cage
* Sexual Dysfunction, sexual uninterest
* Trembling or shaking
* Urgency to urinate, frequent urination, sudden urge to go to the washroom (similar to urinary tract or prostate infection symptoms)
* Weight loss, weight gain

Chest

* Chest pain or discomfort
* Concern about the heart
* Feel like you have to force yourself to breath
* Find it hard to breath, feeling smothered, shortness of breath
* Frequent yawning to try and catch your breath
* Heart Palpitations – beating hard or too fast, rapid heartbeat
* Rib or rib cage tightness, pressure, or feeling like a tight band around the rib cage

Emotions (see mood)
Fears

* Constant feeling of being overwhelmed.
* Fear of dying
* Fear of impending doom
* Heightened self awareness, or self-consciousness

Head

* Head, neck or shoulder pain, tightness/stiffness

Hearing

* Ringing in the ears, noises in the ears, noises in the head

Mind

* Difficulty thinking, speaking, forming thoughts, following conversations
* Frequent feeling of being overwhelmed, or that there is just too much to handle or do
* Obsession about sensations or getting better
* Repetitive thinking or incessant ‘mind chatter’

Mood / Emotions

* Depression
* Emotionally blunted, flat, or numb
* Feeling down in the dumps
* Frequently feel like crying for no apparent reason
* Not feeling like yourself, detached from loved ones, emotionally numb

Mouth/Stomach

* A ‘tinny’, ‘metallic’ or ‘ammonia’, or unusual smell or taste
* Constipation
* Diarrhea
* Difficulty swallowing
* Difficulty talking, pronouncing certain letters or sounds, mouth feels like it isn't moving right, slurred speech
* Dry mouth
* Frequent upset stomach, bloating, gaseous
* IBS
* Lack of appetite or taste
* Nausea
* Nausea vomiting

Skin

* Burning skin sensations
* Numbness tingling, numbness and tingling
* Skin problems, rashes

Sleep

* Difficulty falling or staying asleep
* Insomnia, or waking up ill in the middle of the night
* Jolting awake
* Waking up in a panic attack
* You feel worse in the mornings

Sight

* Eye tricks, seeing things our of the corner of your eye that isn’t there, stars, flashes

Touch

* Burning skin sensations, skin sensitivity
* Numbness tingling, numbness and tingling

Other anxiety symptoms are described as:
Being like a hypochondriac*, muscle twinges, worry all the time*, tingles, gagging, tightness in the chest*, tongue twitches, shaky, breath lump, heart beat problems, head tingles, itchy tingling in arms and legs*, and so many more.

In addition to these symptoms, you may also find yourself worrying compulsively about:
• Having a heart attack
• Having a serious undetected illness
• Dying prematurely
• Not breathing properly
• Choking or suffocating
|
Users who thank mikeg for this post: redshoesnob 

replied April 12th, 2012
Thank you for posting the symptoms. I feel like you were living a day in the life of me! It is the first time in a a long time that I feel like there is hope for me. Maybe I can sleep better tonight not worrying about the "heart attacks" I frequently have.
I have reported all of these symptoms to a doctor at one time or another but have never felt like I was being listened to.
|

replied December 27th, 2008
Re: Rushes of Adrenalin In My Sleep Keeping Me Awake.
hello. i am only 15 years old but i get the same thing i start to nod off to sleep and then all of a sudden i wake up real fast and i couldnt breath propley 1 time and then when i try to fall back to sleep it just does it again and i cant get to sleep and i really need to no what it is i am so scared ! x
|

replied December 27th, 2008
hello. i am only 15 years old but i get the same thing i start to nod off to sleep and then all of a sudden i wake up real fast and i couldnt breath propley 1 time and then when i try to fall back to sleep it just does it again and i cant get to sleep and i really need to no what it is i am so scared ! x
|

replied February 1st, 2009
Hi. I started having anxiety problems about 3 months ago and panic attcks would hit me in the face out of nowhere. I got extremly scared, i was scared of dying, scared of having an unknown and incurable disease then i couldnt sleep anymore. I'd feel every single heartbeat pound through my chest and in my head every night, i got very depressed and felt i would never be as I was before. the days passed and it started snowing an awful lot and so I had to start shoveling. while i was shoveling i was free of anxiety and after shoveling i felt alive again. So i realized i had to do physical stuff to change my mind, each night i was at the skating rink. soon enough i had little or no panic attcks anymore. My sleep problems didnt stop all so fast though, i talked to my father about my problems and he told me it could go away as fast as it came if you convince your mind it can since he experienced the same thing. I felt like I wasnt so alone anymore and suddenly i didnt have any sleeping problems anymore. I'm only 16 so doctors wouldnt prescribe me any medecine so i found my own, shoveling and playing hockey. The brain can't do two things at the same thing so find what you love to de most and have fun!
|

replied April 28th, 2010
I have been experiencing the same symptoms of major adrenaline rushes within an hour of nodding off. Turns out I have reactive hypoglycemia. If I have ANY carbs or sugar with dinner, my body overreacts and produces way too much insulin. When there is an oversupply of insulin you need to supply a little sugar to balance things off. While you are asleep the only way to "manufacture" sugar is to release high levels of adrenaline that releases stored glucose from your muscles. Hence the midnight adrenaline rushes. The only way to avoid this from happening is to eat a very light dinner (carb free of course) and eat it early, really early like 5 or 6. Try eating light or skipping dinner and see if your sleeping problems go away. If they do, you need to seriously alter your diet and eating habits, as this is ofen an early step towards lifeling diabetes. These little adrenaline rushes are probably happening during the day, you just don''t notice them because you are awake. Either way, they are bad and they are damaging your organs. Eat small low carb meals throughout the day and lay off the sugar. Good Luck!
|

replied August 13th, 2010
I am 18 and I found that I would have these rushes in the morning when I had woken up or just stood up, I would stumble into walls and blackout, I thought this was a lack of sleep, but one day I fell asleep on my bed without realising and when I woke up I collapsed and was taken to hospital. these shakes come and go, some mornings I have them and some I dont but last night (13th Aug)I woke up in the middle of night to go to the toilet, I came back and tried to sleep finding myself jumping and trying to catch my breath while my hear rate increased. Doctors thought it was dehydration and thought i was not getting enough sleep. that night I had 3 larger shandys in a pub and when I came home drank 3 pints of water, I continued to have these rushes. I have had the same tonight and they have stopped while im writing this but I know when I go to bed they start again, does anyone know how to stop these??
|

replied October 8th, 2010
I have these too, and am sat here writing this at half past midnight after 3 hours of failed attempted sleep, i get these rushes in my head every so often, say like once a week maybe twice a week and sometimes i can fight them and eventually sleep but tonight they got the better of me and i ended up throwing a wobbly....i think its very interesting the long post about anxiety symptoms as i have nearly all of them, the thing is when these rushes happen they contribute to my anxiety even more making me believe im about to die....especially when im having to gasp for breath. im going to read up more about this reactive hypoglycemia as he could be on to something.....good luck ppl...try reading a book altho it doesnt work for me...x
|

replied October 11th, 2010
ME AGAIN, after reading every post on this ive tried to come to some sort of conclusion, i went to bed lastnight and to my horro it started happening again, so instead of laying there for hours trying to sleep i got up and made myself two crumpets with butter, went to bed and hey presto it didnt happen again.....this could be a complete coincidence but i think in future its exactly what im going to do everytime. i do however remember me getting these funny turns when id eaten really late and gone to bed on a full tummy, like say after eating a big chinese at 9pm. so it doesnt really add up. i think im definitly going to go see my gp and tell him my findings and maybe get his oppinion on the whole thing........i would urge you to try a midnight snack see if we can all come up with a temporary cure to it....give it a go and post your findings....xxxxxx
|

replied October 28th, 2010
Actually i cant come up with any conclusion other than im depressed and suffering from anxiety, sometimes its hard for me to work this out. but i cant remember the last time i felt normal. i went to the docs and she perscribed me citalopram and some sleeping tablets. day 3 of taking citalopram and i felt on top of the world. week 2 on citalopram and my ear is ringing and my eye is twitching and my sleeping tablets are only working till 4am then im awake. im thinking that without the sleeping tablets id be awake all night like before but without the adrenalin rushes. but cant be sure. a trip back to the gp for me, me thinks.
|

replied February 6th, 2012
Hello

Im having the same problem!! my first panic attack was october 2011 and when I was sleeping I couldnt get fully to sleep it was like my heart fluttering all the time and id wake up panicing gasping for a breathe it really put me off sleeping and it got worse one night I got no sleep everytime I closed my eyes it was like there was no air in my body and my mouth was really dry it was awfull it finally stopped and now I have off shoots of anxiety and stress but the problem with my sleep is beginging to start again, is there any explanation for this please???
|

replied March 6th, 2012
I have the same problem with crazy adrenaline rushes that wake me up at night. Sounds to me like you have a lot on your plate. Subconsciously you are worried and fearful of the future so your body is going into the fight or flight mode. Not only that now you are worried about going to bed cause you fear of another adrenaline rush. What you need to do is talk to a therapist or counselor (not a drug prescribing psychiatrist, drugs are just a bandaid.) He or she can calm you down by helping you come to terms about your fears and worries. In addition, you can exercise preferably 3-4 hours prior to bedtime which will help regulate adrenaline, do breathing exercises, and again, I reiterate a good counselor to calm your fears/worries.
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied May 7th, 2012
anxiety
I can't handle this anymore. I am having the exact same feeling. I just want to go to sleep but I can't? I have anxiety but this is triggering panic atacks?
|

replied May 9th, 2012
Anxiety/sleeping problems and sleep apnea
I have been forced to focus on this issue again after it wnt away for about a year. Suddenly it returned: a rumbling 'vibration' in my left chest; waking up feeling suffocated and i clearly cannot breathe using my nose, as it is totally stuffed up (severe allergies); and over the next few months and year, an increasingly strong "flutter' in my chest that ot me very worried. After an echocardiogram stress test, holter monitor for 24 hours, and a year of desperate prayer as i could often only sleep for one hour before being forced awake because 'my heart would not let me sleep,' i finally went for a sleep study. I had one in 2005, as i had terrible symptoms back then, all starting with a 'chest vibration.' i have no shortness of breath and can exercise well; but it took me about six months to recover my strength. I can sleep without the CPAP machine but i finally bought one (diagnosed with mild to moderate sleep apnea in 2005 but because i could not sleep during the study; because i did not want to be dependent on a 'breathing machine' for the rest of my life; and bcause the machine was quite expensive and, i knew i had brearhing issues but they are related to severe allergies and i felt what i needed was to cure the allergy, not use a temporary fic (CPAP), i did not buy or use a CPAP in 2005. In 2011 in April, the same vibration came back. Again, i did not notice that i was having severe bouts of sleep apnea, due to the dust and mold in my flat, which i had been in fir eighteen monhs. Finally, when i went for a new sleep study last October, i was again diagnosed with mild to moderate sleep apnea (AHI 21). This time, i slept at home using a wrist portable PAT arterial tension meter, which said i stopped breathing or had shallow breathing 21 times an hour (oxygen saturation dropped to 91% at the lowest). While many people might dusagree, in my case the apnea was severe enough my life was being ruined. I am so grateful to God i finally bought a CPAP machine (not too expensive even new, on Amazon) and although i refused to and resisted using it for months, when i finally began to use it regularly every night, i managed (took 3 months) through trial and error to get the right setting, and i can now sleep several hours with it. I have checked over and over and i know that i have obstructive sleep apnea, which has weakened my heart. I also have some central apnea, which is the most frightening. But inimproved continually and i expect a full recivery, to the point i will not need the CPAP, though i might need surgery for that. I am clearly much better and can function almost completely normally, except i still wake up several times at night (possibly because the CPAp does not catch all the apneas in time; or even causes some of them(!) -- trust me, i have checked the data! Some of the pressure pulses immediately precede an apnea...possibly causing it!!). I am not as worried as i was about heart failure, stroke, or heart attack, as my leg numbness on the right, which was quite significant, and the heavy chest flutter (NOT A PALPITATION) has gone....but if i stop using the CPAP, soon after, the same night, these things come back; and if i go without CPAP for several nights, i am pretty sure i get true atrial flutter or fibrillation, which is very frightening because it can remodel your heart over time and cause serious complications. Having said all that, i am certain many of you posting here have undiagnosed sleep apnea. I know how difficult it is to admit to having a problem out of your control; and CPAP is a horrible choice...but seriously, to preserve your heart function AND QUALITY OF LIFE i beg you all to get tested for sleep apnea and TREAT IT NOW. There IS a cure and it is CPAP!!!
|
12 >>