Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Headache and Migraines Forum

Popping/clicking At Top of Neck Or Skull, W/headache?

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
About two days ago, in the evening I noticed a popping/clicking noise at the top of my neck/base of my skull. But its only when I turn my head to the right. My muscles from that side of my neck down to my shoulder and between them did feel tight. But now they don't feel so tight. But the clicking/popping continues, again only when I turn my head to the right. I have been experiencing light headaches that are coming and going. I do have a little neck pain around the area that is popping, but nothing debilitating. I have severe anxiety about my health, so this is consuming all my waking hours wondering what the heck is going on.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Weebo
|

User Profile
replied August 12th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
It sounds like some sort of skeletal maladjustment, maybe see a chiropractor?
|

replied February 3rd, 2011
Okay I'm wondering because i have this too its looking high from the right rolling it left but not the other way round, my neck muscles have also tightened so this sounds exactly the same ?
|

replied February 3rd, 2011
Okay I'm wondering because i have this too its looking high from the right rolling it left but not the other way round, my neck muscles have also tightened so this sounds exactly the same ?
|

User Profile
replied February 4th, 2011
Experienced User
Hi, I had the same. I had cracking sounds in my neck and severe headaches. What may help you is an adjustment of the Atlas vertebra. Such cracking sounds and tightened neck muscles are a known effect of a displaced Atlas vertebra.

This treatment has helped me tremendously. There are a number of 'brands' for this treatment. The treatment is quick, painless, and can be remarkably effective for these kinds of problems. For this you need to go to a specially certified practitioner that does this, a regular physiotherapist or chiropractor usually cannot do it.

I believe the two best known techniques are Atlas Profilax and Atlas Orthogonal, but I believe them to be essentially very similar in what they do.

This will not help everybody, but from personal experience I know that for some people this treatment can do miracles. I hope this may help you too.
|

replied December 4th, 2011
Headaches and neck clicking
I also have had the clicking of the neck when turning my head left or right and the regular headaches for the last 30 years. It was diagnosed as a blood flow restriction in the neck. I don't remember exactly the medical term but the veins were being squashed where they exited the spine area. This cause was apparant to docs when I described my head (face, ears, neck) having pins and needles some times. They put me on something to thin the blood which helped for 2 years. But as it turned out my girlfriend got me onto fish oil capsules which incidently conicided with me running out of the medication. I found that by having 4 in the morning and 4 at night I do not have headaches (self inflicted excluded) nor the clicking / sore neck any more. So for the past 6 years I have been pain free BUT if I forget to take the capsules for 3 days then the clicking and headaches come back until I have had at least 2 days of regular fish oil. Another accicdental find was glucosamine has stopped the constant calf muscle cramps at night. 1 tablet per day fixed that issue. sunny
|