Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Third Trimester of Pregnancy Forum

Water In Baby's Brain

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
My daughter went to the doctors for a ultrasound and found out that her water bag has a small hole in it and that water was found on the left side of baby's brain. She is 7 and a half months pregnant and I need to know how serious this is?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper insurancegirl
|

replied January 23rd, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Hello, terrie! My name is jennifer, 21 yr old mommy of 3 and insurance producer. What your grandbaby has is known as hydrocyphelis...I had this when I was born. These days this isn't that serious...In fact it can be taken care of while your grandchild is still in your daughters womb. I was born when my mother was a tender 28 1/2 wks preg, weighing only 2lb 8oz. I'm sure the little angel will be fine. What they will do is put a shunt (cathotor) from the brain to the abdomin. (mine was put in when I was 3 wks old) and it is not (water) it is spinal fluid...Which will drain, until the baby (child) no longer needs the fluid to be drained...I was 13 when mine stopped.

Praying for the best,

jennifer Laughing
|

replied March 10th, 2012
Hi Jennifer
I hope you are doing great.I know its been a long time since you have posted here but I am so worried about my little niece. my sister has a twin they are 1 year old the baby girl has water on brain. they put shunt in her brain.
she is doing very poorly. she doesnt have any physical problem though but her head is enormously huge. recently she had infection and she has been in the hospital for the last 3 weeks my sister is so depressed. could you please give me some advice? the other baby(baby boy) is doing great he doesnt have that issue and my sister always compare them together and thats why she is upset. because he can walk sit do normal things but the little girl can not eve turn her head because it is heavy.
|

Thank You
Jennifer,
thank you so much for your answer. I can tell by reading your response that you know what your talking about, because thats exactly what the doctor said about draining the fluid. My daughter is 20 yrs old and just gave birth to her first son, a year ago. We were told this new baby is a girl, but before we could be assured everything would be find, we had to wait for the test results for chromosome to come back..
|

Extremely eHealthy
As stated previously, I wish you the best of luck and will be praying for you, your daughter, and her unborn child. However, i'm sure everything will be fine! May I ask where you are located? Any time if you need.

Keep me updated!

Jennifer
|

replied February 16th, 2004
Experienced User
I hope your little grandchild is safe and i'll pray for him or her. Let me know if anything changes. How did the doctor tell there was fluid? Were there any sign outside the womb that I should be aware of? Should I get tested for something like this?
|

replied August 8th, 2005
I was born with fluid on the brain, my mom said after I was 2 months old my head was huge, I was sent home (bare in mind it was 32 yrs ago) to die. My dad wouldnt put up with it any longer he took me to another hospital in the city and there I was able to recieve treatment. I was like 3 years old when my treatment had stopped, but I faintly recall holding my moms hand as we left the hospital, and I could feel cold air on the left hand side of my head (there was a shunt placed inside) thats all I recall and how sore that area is to touch, even till this very day. Well I pulled through and here I am now ready to have my 1st baby, so if doctors 32 yrs ago could help a baby with that same problem, then there is always hope for any lil baby now so I say...Please don't stress yourself over it, or anyone for that matter....Babies do pull through and turn out great looking normal and lead a normal life..Thankfully

ps- I had the fear of my un-born taking after me and going through the same thing...But I told myself..Well if I pulled through so will he/she.
|

replied June 2nd, 2009
Thanks for all these info, last week when we went to meet doctor for normal checkup even they found the same. We are having our ultrasound test tomorrow. Hope theings will be fine. since this is our first baby mywife and myself are undergoing bit stressful situation.

i'll sure update this form,so someone can get required info. anyway let us also pray for your grand daughter.
|

User Profile
replied April 21st, 2010
im 22 in may and i was born with water on the brain, they were going to put a drain on me but sumhow (and i dnt no ful details) the water on my brain subsided and i did not need it i have a slight lump on the front of my head and people use to ask my mum what it was all the tym but, no1 notices now, i have had a few learning difficulties ie dislexic but other then that i have bin fine iv gone on to have two healthy kids and no problems with my head or brain , good luck xx
|

replied June 4th, 2010
My daughter-in-law found out today that one of her twins has water in its brain, she has to go to have a better ultra sound done, is there anything to worry about? She is 7 months along.
|

replied July 25th, 2010
my boyfriend was born just like that he had a pocket of spinal fluid off his left cheek and the back of his head they told his mother he could be mentally retarded. but he is now 25 and graduating college everything will be fine. i will keep her and you and the mother in my prayers.
|

replied September 25th, 2010
Your advice is appreciated!
Hi Everyone! I just need a little advice. I'm a mother of 3 children ages 5, 3, and 1. I've decided to return to work, and I have a new babysitter that my children will be going to on Monday. She has a precious 1 year old daughter who was born at 32 weeks with water on the brain. The baby girl has an abnormally large head, she is also blind, doesn't walk and doesn't talk either. My two older children or course noticed that her head wasn't like theirs. I'm not sure how to explain to them the condition the little girl has. I'm really afraid of the questions they will ask the new babysitter when I'm not present. I don't think the babysitter would be upset if they did seeing as how they are children. However, I just wanted to try to educate them before Monday. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.
|

replied March 9th, 2012
please give me some advice and relief
hi there
my sister has a twin they are 1 year old the baby girl has water on brain. they put shunt in her brain.
she is doing very poorly. she doesnt have any physical problem though but her head is enormously huge. recently she had infection and she has been in the hospital for the last 3 weeks Sad my sister is so depressed. could you please give me some advice? the other baby(baby boy) is doing great he doesnt have that issue and my sister always compare them together and thats why she is upset. because he can walk sit do normal things but the little girl can not eve turn her head because it is heavy Sad
|

replied August 4th, 2013
iu had a child taht was born in 1990 with water on her brain a shunt was put in for her but 5 months later she passed away . i also know 2 other children that was born with da same problem and they are fine and healthy for me i feel i was special thats why god blessed me with this beautiful daughter and everyone who has children lke this is also special and blessed all i can say to these parents do not dispair cause life and death is in gods hand and god knows best until today i still grieve for my child but life itself is a miracle and love and enjoy ur child as a mother u go through trauma when u are told about your unborn childs problem but b strong cause that child will lead u into paradise remember god does not put a burden on u if god knows u cant handle it luv all ur children and da parents for having da strength-- jennifer just b a good aunt and b there for ur sister--araiffa
|

replied August 4th, 2013
iu had a child taht was born in 1990 with water on her brain a shunt was put in for her but 5 months later she passed away . i also know 2 other children that was born with da same problem and they are fine and healthy for me i feel i was special thats why god blessed me with this beautiful daughter and everyone who has children lke this is also special and blessed all i can say to these parents do not dispair cause life and death is in gods hand and god knows best until today i still grieve for my child but life itself is a miracle and love and enjoy ur child as a mother u go through trauma when u are told about your unborn childs problem but b strong cause that child will lead u into paradise remember god does not put a burden on u if god knows u cant handle it luv all ur children and da parents for having da strength-- jennifer just b a good aunt and b there for ur sister--araiffa
|

replied April 1st, 2014
Hi all

Can anyone give me updates on their situations. @Terri Leonard, what happened with your daughter and her baby?

I am currently in this situation Sad Went for a routine scan last week and they picked up fluid on the left-side of my baby's brain. They could not give me conclusive answers, but said that one of my options was to go for amniocentesis, but im 29 weeks already and even if they find anything 'wrong' there is nothing they can do. And we are going to continue with this pregnancy despite what the tests show.

So if there is anyone who has an updated story for me, please share. I am trying to stay positive, but this is my first pregnancy and I am really scared.
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile
Anand J. Singh
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul