Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Burning Sensation In Right Side of Back

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
Over the last few weeks I have been getting a burning sensation in the right side of my back. It is around the bottom of the rib cage.

I am a white male, age 37, 210 lbs...

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

ian
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper jtmack
|

replied January 28th, 2004
Burning Sensation On Your Back
My sister complained to me about what soundes like the same problem. It was a highly sensitive spot on her back around her shoulder blade. She described it as a burning sensation, but no rash or discoloration or raised skin. Try looking up notalgia paresthetica and see if it fits your symptoms.
Becky
|

replied April 8th, 2010
Hi imatthws,

You know, I''ve been pannicking over blogs and sites, and Im sure someone will come across this thread at one time or another.

I was experiencing a similar burning sensation. Alot of times what people wont tell you that a doctor can, is that any sort of "electric" or "cold" or "burning" sensation like that is alot of times nerve related.

To anyone who sees this thread, stop reading the internet.

I drove myself nuts, i thought I had lymphoma, kidney cancer, pancreatitis, adrenal cancer, liver disease and many other things...

Went to the doc, and he said, no, I have a bit of arthritis in my spine and it seems a nerve is being pinched.

In turn, thats causing a reaction on my nerve ending out on my right flank. It was too high for kidney and there is nothing there, as far as organs.

So relax, go see your doc, ask them if its possibly a nerve-related issue.

Because for a while, I was a mental basket case scared for my life. You dont have to be, learn from my mistake. Dont read the internet, it will cause you nothing but undue stress.

You need a logically thinking human being doctor that has the ability to see your symptoms first hand and has the ability to reason (which computers cannot do..... yet.)

Get to the doc, let em run the tests, the waiting and such will drive you insane but do yourself a favor and fight the urge to self-diagnose yourself from teh web.

Hope you have a great day, enjoy a cup of green tea and enjoy life!! and relax!
|

replied April 12th, 2012
I second that! I was driving myself bonkers for quite some time trying to figure out something!
|

replied April 15th, 2010
To jtmack
I also have this burning on the right side of my back, it seems it is between my spine and my shoulder blade. It causes a ton of symptoms. jtmack, if you don''t mind me asking, what kind of tests did you get to get diagnosed? I go to a pain doctor tomorrow and i am praying he will be of some help for me, as i have seen numerous doctors in the past and all i got was, it''s muscle related, leave it alone and you have to live with it. But me, i need to get answers to find out the problem before i can live with it. Did you also get any inflammation in that area too? That spot gets inflammed and when it does it feels like it is very swollen. Gets worse when i do anything that consists of lifting etc. Curious if you had any of these symptoms and if you got help and on the road to a healed back?
|

replied April 16th, 2010
Experienced User
imattws,
Hi,
please see your Dr. This could be anything from a pulled mucle to a nerve being pinched to the beginning of a KIDNEY infection. I get them with out warning of any bladder infection first. So,please rule that out. There are so many things it can be. If you don't get a good idea in a short time, then feel free to see another DR. Ther will be a reason. Has the spring been bothering ana lgeries? Don't forget to tell the Dr/. if your sneezing or coughing from allergies too.
Good luck,
(I sure hope you do not have a kidney infection)
Temperwolf
|

replied November 19th, 2010
I also have the occasional tingling burning skin sensation waist level on my right side, more toward the back. I know it has to to with the liver or pancreas...the pinched nerve would be a nice solution..but, more likely, it's a digestive organ acting up. I had to stop having my wake-up coffee. I am not enjoying being in the dark about this. I am more than just the usual health conscious person; more than the average American for sure! No, I know all the evils of the US food industry, and take every step that's possible to avoid those evils. So, I guess I'll just hope that this is a pinched nerve. Thx JTMack, I needed that!
|

replied January 11th, 2012
I have had a sometimes-burning, sometimes sharp pain on my upper right side, front and back, for 3 weeks. Pain meds (only tramadol) manage the pain, but it never goes away. I have bouts of nausea when the pain spikes.

Blood was detected in my urine at my first doctor visit 2 weeks ago, but they discounted it as "close to my 'time of the month'", and really focused on it being a gall bladder issue. ALL TESTS (CT, ultrasound, bloodwork) came back normal.

I was sent to a gastroenterologist, who read my chart, asked me questions for 10 minutes and then poked around and made things HURT for a few minutes... his diagnosis was kidney stones / related, and then ordered another urinalisis and an IVP.

I called my GP back with the information, as the GI that she sent me to was out of network ?!?!?! and I didn't want to do tests that would be unavailable to all of my other doctors. They set up an appointment with a urologist the same day.

The urologist ran a urine test, and took me back to his office before the results were available. He said that he couldn't do anything for pain only, and that maybe I had a pinched nerve. I know that I have to have patience during diagnosis... but I have been in fairly horrible pain for 3 weeks now and it does wear on you emotionally. I was asking what I should do next when the nurse came in and said that there was still significant blood in my urine.

Now the urologist wants to do a ureteroscopy, which I read could be unpleasant. I asked if there was anything that I could do, eat, drink, or take to help with the pain or eliminate the need for such a test. He said "no". I am not so sure that I believe him... but I am kinda stuck here.

Good luck to everyone else.
|

replied March 6th, 2013
Burning Sensation Even After Back Surgery
Hi, My name is John, last year i had a surgery for my back pain which was severe. The docs have instrumented two titanium rods in my back which supports my back. Post operation i had no pains at all. But from last 1 or 2 months, my right side back have developed a burning sensation while sitting (ONLY WHILE SITTING). I want to know the reason, even after doing surgery for back pain, is it possible that pain occurs again ?
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Deepak Anvekar
User Profile
Dr. Goce Aleksovski
User Profile
Dr. Goce Aleksovski
User Profile
Anand J. Singh