Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Teen Pregnancy Forum

Breastfeeding Question

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
User Profile
I'm 28 weeks now, and my boobs haven't leaked at all so far, not even a tiny bit... And I recently found out that if they haven't leaked yet at this stage it can be a sign of being unable to breastfeed. I have my heart set on breastfeeding .Jenny, and i'm worried that I might not be able to now.

Has anyone successfully breastfed despite not leaking at all during pregnancy? It's probably totally different for everyone, but i'm just curious to see whether there's any truth behind it.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 12th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
Re: Breastfeeding Question
zanyzanny wrote:
i'm 28 weeks now, and my boobs haven't leaked at all so far, not even a tiny bit... And I recently found out that if they haven't leaked yet at this stage it can be a sign of being unable to breastfeed. I have my heart set on breastfeeding .Jenny, and i'm worried that I might not be able to now.

Has anyone successfully breastfed despite not leaking at all during pregnancy? It's probably totally different for everyone, but i'm just curious to see whether there's any truth behind it.

leaking has absolutely nothing to do with breast feeding. I'm not sure where you heard such a false statement - but rest assured it is not true.

Breast feeding takes patience and a lot of support in the begining. Since it is 'natural' and people have been doing it for eons, it seems like it would be a no brainer. But it is a lot more difficult (just in the begining) than people think.

You may want to talk to a lactation consultant in the hospital and keep her number for when you get home - just in case. ;)
|

Extremely eHealthy
Ive only heard of one person who's milk didn't come in and that was from a friend of a friends friend. If you know what I mean. I really dont' think that it's that common for your milk not to come in. I do know that once it does come in that you will only produce what your skoot will eat. I love breast feeding. I am very glad that I stuck to it at the hospital because the nurses wouldnt' let me give up. It was very frusterating at first but then we got it by the evening of day two.

So I wouldn't stress out about it too much.....Talk to your ob if you are really worried about it.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
I didn't leak at all under the end of my pregnancy, and then that was only when my nipples were physically stimulated. But i'm exclusively breastfeeding my daughter, and now you can't even tell me "hello" without my boobs spraying milk everywhere.

Breastfeeding is hard at the beginning. Your baby is so eager to suck that they'll grab onto whatever they can and just go for it, whether it's the very tip of your nipple or the side of your breast. Don't leave the hospital without speaking with at least one lactation consultant, even if you think you're doing it right. (if you're not, you're in for some serious pain very very soon.) they'll help you with different nursing positions, getting your little one to latch on properly, and teach you ways of dealing with nipple pain (because most likely, after a day or two, your nipples will feel like someone's been rubbing them with sandpaper!)

just remember to stick with it! If you correct your baby's latch every time (which will hurt, because your nipples will be sooo sensitive), the pain will fade, and they'll learn the proper way soon. I was breastfeeding .Aly comfortably at two weeks, and now I can nurse her at 3 am without even having to turn the light on... She finds my nipple all on her own and latches properly all by herself!

It's sooo worth it! Your little one will get so many benefits from your milk. You can do it! :)
|

User Profile
Supporter
Thanks ladies, that's really put my mind at ease.. I can't wait to breastfeed, and i'll stick at it even if it's hard at first.. I want what's best for my little girl =)
|

replied September 14th, 2006
Well when I had my son I leaked from 20 weeks on... When he was born my milk didnt even come in. So I say dont worry about it because it is different for everyone. That dont mean anything.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
Damn, 28 weeks already girl! How time flys!!!
|

User Profile
Supporter
I know, it's mad! Third trimester now.. Woohoo the home stretch =)
|

Extremely eHealthy
I didnt' know you were having a girl....Congrats!!! What are you going to name her.
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
Re: Breastfeeding Question
zanyzanny wrote:
i have my heart set on breastfeeding .Jenny

in the first post hun :)
|

User Profile
Supporter
Yup, her full name will be .Jennifer .Michelle.. Her middle name is my sister's name =)
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
Awww! Where'd you get jennifer from? Just picked it?
|

User Profile
Supporter
My boyfriend suggested it, and we both really like it.. I like names you can shorten, and we didn't wanna pick something too strange.. She's gotta live with it for the rest of her life, after all. She'll probably be .Jenny when she's ickle and .Jen when she's older =)
|

Extremely eHealthy
I got my milk in but it wasn't very much so it was really hard to breastfeed, I eventually quit trying because it just wasn't working out for us. And when my kid wants to eat he wants to .E.A.T.! Lol.
|

replied September 15th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Thanks kia I didn't see that. Oh I met another girl named jennifer but she spelled it jenypher. Isnt that cute. I like that spelling a lot better than the spelling of my name.

Jennifer is a good name.
|