Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

Post Gb Surgery Chronic Diarrhea- Herbal Remedy?

Must Read
Basic facts on diarrhea here, including the difference between acute and chronic diarrhea. Learn to identify each....
What causes diarrhea? We outline the most common causes of diarrhea (viruses, bacteria, and medications) and let you know when to seek medical help....
Learn how to prepare yourself when seeing a doctor for diarrhea. Know which medical exams and tests to expect, and also which questions to ask. Start here....
Hi,

thanks to all on this forum for sharing their experiences and insights.

I had my gallbladder out july 2005 after a severe attack and blocked duct, but realize now that I had been suffering symptoms and attacks for years that I chalked up to heartburn, food poisoning, allergies, etc.

One of the most annoying symptoms post-surgery is this chronic diarrhea, and i've been all over the internet and read the stories of many people who suffer the same problem. I have given up caffeine and fatty foods, but mainly suffer when trying to eat a salad or raw vegetables.. Isn't that the ultimate catch-22?... Trying to eat naturally and healthy and have it aggravate the problem?

Has anyone had any luck with a natural remedy?

I did read about a new medication, brandname questran, but I would like to avoid a prescription medication if I can.
Thanks in advance.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 12th, 2006
Post Gallbladder - Diarrhea
I, too, have the classic symptoms of "the dumping syndrome" unfortunately, even now, 3 months post surgery tomorrow. My surgeon has prescribed "questran". It is very inexpensive, and is a powder that is simply mixed with water or juice of your choice in the morning of a day that you can't afford to have diarrhea. It really works.

Now..........I'd love to hear from people who have had the dumping syndrome, and if they had any remedies (natural would be great!), and how long it took to shake the diarrhea.

Lori
|

replied May 24th, 2012
I have no remedies to offer. I had my gall bladder out 10+ years ago. Had dumping syndrome for about 6 months after and then it cleared up on its own over time.

My gall bladder had been going bad for years, so I think the longer it takes you to get it taken out, the longer it takes your body to recover and relearn what NORMAL actually is.
|