Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Loss of Sex Drive On Mirena Coil (Page 1)

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
User Profile
My friend had a heart to heart with me and told me that since she's has the mirena coil fitted around 6 months ago she has no sex drive anymore. They used to do it 3/4 times a week and not its once a fortnight if that. She said she has no urges anymore and its upsetting her boyfriend.

They have 2 young children but she swears that she still had regular sex before the coil was fitted.

Does the coil cause decrease in sex drive? I'm worried cause I want to get it fitted but I don't want that to happen
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper ceth
|

replied September 10th, 2006
I had the exact same thing happen to me when I was using the mirena. Pre-mirena I had the sex drive of a 15 year old boy. About 2 - 4 weeks after having it inserted, I lost all interest in sex. Also, sex became hideously painful and I found it difficult to become aroused at all.

I had my iud removed about 3 days ago, and have seen a slight improvement already - that I am actually interested in having sex with my boyfriend!!

:) I wish your friend the best of luck!
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
Thanks for that. How did sex become painful? She did mention that she sometimes gets a sharp pain during sex....

I'm scared to have it put in now!
|

I dunno how it got to be painfull... It just kinda developed one day... It was as if he was wearing a sand-paper condom.. I dunno, kinda like I couldn't get lubricated (naturally) anymore, but even with using ky jelly didn't work. It would also be uncomfortable for aaaages afterwards, and randomly made me aware of feeling as if I need to go to the toilet all the time, also if I held it in for too long... That was painfull too!

Personally, i'd advise you against getting mirena... I'm going to my home country soon, and they offer govornment-paid birth control, so I am going to get the copper iud put in then... Because I think the hormones in mirena affected me badly.

Insertion hurts really badly, cramps get worse, your period becomes irregular... Some of the fun side-effects from mirena
|

replied January 31st, 2007
Hi there..
I dont have the mirena coil I have the one you still have periods with as I didnt fancy the one with the hormones in..
But iv had a coil for seven years now with the exception of having it out to have my second child 4 years ago, and I can honestly say that with the one ive got I have had no problems at all and it definately hasnt decreased my sex drive..
I think they are brilliant, no worrying about if you have taken your pill, or if the condom splits..
But my friend did have problems with the mirena one so had it swapped for the one I have got and has had no problems since hope this is of some help to you..
|

replied February 3rd, 2007
I've never used the mirena, but birth control pills have definitely affected my sex drive. Even when I was really mentally excited, my body wouldn't respond - like papillion wrote, it was sort of like he felt like sand paper, and sex would hurt because I wasn't lubricating or stretching. Often it would take forever to get excited physically. I've read online that this is a common side effect in some people taking estrogen or progesterone.

See here, for instance: http://www.Epigee.Org/guide/medfaq.Html

have you experienced this sort of change while taking hormonal birth control? If it is the hormones causing it, it would make sense that if you didn't have that problem with hormonals similar to the mirena, like the pill, you probably wouldn't have it with the mirena.
|

replied February 1st, 2009
no sex drive since the mirena and sex is painful ever since too
I had the Mirena put in on 11/19/2008. Needless to say I hate it and want it out. It ruined my sex life it made me fat. I get cramps in my feet that make me feel paralyzed and I went to my OB/GYN and told her all my symptoms. She told me to "Give it time because it's a great birth control that last up to five years"-OB/GYN I just looked at her like "you're kidding me right"-Me. I started getting bacterial infections often ever since I got it put in, I've taken so many antibiotics. I'm finally made the decision to get it removed it's a piece of obsolete birth control. Yeah it works but you become emotionless, energy less, and fat unable to feel any sort of sexual pleasure.
|

replied February 17th, 2009
mirena sucks
Glad I found this - thought I was a freak. Had Mirena put in 3 months ago; bled for 2 months - has settled down now but have totally lost interest in sex. My husband is v sexy and I never thought I'd have to lie back and think of England but OMG I feel so frigid!! It's comes to something when you'd rather clean behind the fridge than have sex!!! I reckon this coil oughta come out. I keep thinking I should keep on with it and hope things improve, but will they????
|

replied April 6th, 2009
Mirena sucks
I had mirena for 9 months and not only did the insertion hurt but your sex drives just drops!!! Believe me sex and I were best friends but then all of a sudden I couldn't get aroused, had no interest in sex and would get annoyed and the thought. I became depressed for no reason and would get mad at any and everything. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy! Do not get it. I just had it removed today 4/6/2009. It did not hurt at all. I was extremely worried that it would hurt like it did when i got it inserted but it didn't. Just to help out. Worst decision of my life glad I reversed it.
|

replied May 4th, 2009
sex drive
i have to say that my experiences of the merina are the exact opposite to most of you here. I had one fitted instead of the standard IUD that i had previously as i was experiencing heavy periods and aneamia. I have had some problems with my skin/hair and a slighly increased appetite, but this is only to be expected when you have additional hormones put into your body and after 3 months these have settled down. However the best thing about the merina is my increased sex drive, before i had no energy and was not fussed if i had sex or not, which was not like me at all and was geeting me down, but now i want it all the time and have no problems with arousal/ lubrication. I havent experienced any depression or excess bleeding or mood swings, i guess it is not for everyone. I didnt read up too much before having it done and to be honest i'm glad i didn't otherwise i dont think i would have gone ahead with it. It has been a very positive experience for me.
|

replied May 14th, 2009
i dont know about my mirena
i'm 16 and got my mirena put in in december, when i was 15. it hurt really bad to be put in, since i hadnt had any children, and now i'm not sure if i want to keep it. I like that my boyfriend doesnt have to wear condoms(boyfriend of 3 years) and can finish in my everytime, with almost no chance of pregnancy, but i have some cramping after sex, and sometimes sharp pains during, as if he's goin to far in. although he is 9 and a half inches... he doesnt feel it though, like everyone else does, and the few times he has it didnt hurt him. i dont know what to do, but i think i've subconsciously stopped liking sex, when before i loved it... he brought that up the other day. i dont know what to do, and after the pain of getting it in, i dont wanna get it out, especially since its the best contraceptive out there that i know of
|

replied February 3rd, 2012
??
How come you had MIRENA put in if you hadn't have children???!!!! This is Contraception for women who already gave birth !!!!!!
|

replied February 4th, 2012
I also had a mirena put in when i havent had children, this was because i was having very heavy periods and was dangerously anemic and nothing else seemed to work, but i was told it is more used in woman that have had children
|

User Profile
replied July 27th, 2012
That's not true, women who hadn't have children can use mirena - it's actually recommended in some cases (like mine, since I have endometriosis).
|

replied May 15th, 2009
mirena pain??
i dont know about you being fitted with one so young - the idea i thought was for older people who have had children as their cervix is more open - but your dr must know whats right for you. maybe give it a month or two more to settle and then if still not happy think of havin it removed, if its hurting then thats not right i dont feel mine at anytime, never really suffered with cramps even when having periods but if you did then maybe its just settling down, good luck
|

replied June 25th, 2009
Saraphillips-

Thanks for you post. I am getting Mirena tomorrow and I was feeling confident about it till now. Everyone has had some less than positive experiences and it's comforting to know that someone out there has had an ideal experience. I hope mine goes just as easy. Is there anything else I should be aware of? Really, i'm most worried about my sex life...I will be at a lose if I completely lose my drive:(
|

replied June 25th, 2009
I know it is a big worry - i didn't loose my sex drive and to be honest it made things alot better as i am no longer bleeding so heavily and therefore am not feeling tired all the time - i do think you need to give it a good few months to allow it to settle into your system though- now after 5 or so months things for me are pretty normal - I am still getting spots (on my chin mainly!) before my period that I didn't get before but this is getting less and less each month (only a couple anyway). I have no weight gain and periods are very very light, although still around 6 or 7 days. No pain at all. Good Luck
|

replied August 21st, 2009
A More Positive Mirena Experience
I'm 24, a virgin, and I'm getting married in about two months. I've had Mirena in for about two months now and the experience so far has been pretty good. I did have a bad insertion experience, I threw up in the Medical office and almost passed out. The cramps were bad for a few days and I bled heavily for a week or so.

There are definate pros and cons, as there are with any birth control option.

Cons- a slight increase in my acne, though there could be any number of reasons for it, as my skin has a tendancy to be unstable anyway. I occasionally have light cramping (unlike cramps I experienced pre-mirena), and there has been some occasional spotting.

Pros- a much lighter period right away! I've lost several pounds without working out. My sex drive has increased three fold and my cervical mucus has been more plentiful (i.e. more moisture, which is a good thing for me, I tend to be uncomfortably dry).

Since I haven't had sex, with or without mirena in, I can't say if it will cause disperena (painful sex) or not. I'm apt to think that sex will be painful at first anyway. I'm also somewhat concerned that my husband will feel the strings, my Dr. cut them long as a precaution (his reason was "longer allows the strings more flexibilty. we'll see).

I wanted to post a more positive message about mirena. I feel that it is an execellent idea to give a great amount of thought and research to medical proceedures like this before the actual proceedure is done. Mirena is DEFINATELY not for everyone (i.e. I strongly question mirena for 15 year olds). The majority of threads relating to mirena are overwhelmingly negitive. I feel there are good reasons for this. Obviously, a woman who is having problems with the choosen proceedure is more likely to write about it than a fully satisfied customer, and for good reason. Women who are experiencing serious health complications believed to be mirena related should go out and research, post comments and learn more about the reasons behind their problems. I think we should also bear in mind that there are many factors that go into adverse reactions to birth control, and some symptoms may not be mirena related. This is in no way aimed to belittle the very serious and unpleasant symptoms any of the above women have experienced. Removing the mirena was likely a very good idea in your circumstances and I wish you all very good health. I just want to give readers interested in inserting mirena a full spectrum of experience to consider.
|
Users who thank qurkie for this post: sbystrom 

Again how come your OB/GYM recommended that? Mine said it's only for those who have given a birth!
|

replied October 27th, 2012
I agree. I think 15 is too young and then you've never given birth.inhave had 4 kids and will b 35 n jan. I got my tubes tied but have heavy painful periods. I jus got the mirena put n 3days ago and it wuz a VERY PAINFUL experience. I cant help but 2 wonder y didnt the doctor recommend the depo shot.
|

Again how come your OB/GYM recommended that? Mine said it's only for those who have given a birth!
|

replied March 3rd, 2012
If you read on their website it says that the study done by the makers of mirena to get FDA approval used only women that have had one or more children. However, there is no difference in how it is used for all women. I believe that mirena is a good choice for young women and sexually active teens, because not everyone can remember to take a pill the same time everyday.
|

replied March 3rd, 2012
If you read on their website it says that the study done by the makers of mirena to get FDA approval used only women that have had one or more children. However, there is no difference in how it is used for all women. I believe that mirena is a good choice for young women and sexually active teens, because not everyone can remember to take a pill the same time everyday.
|

replied August 21st, 2009
i had mirena inserted in december and bled for 2 months straight. since then, ive had one very short, light period about every 3 months. i have no cramping and insertion didnt hurt at all, actually it was very fast and i hardly noticed it. with that said, i think mirena is great in that matter, although i too have had no sex drive what-so-ever since it has been put in.
|

replied September 22nd, 2009
Mirena coil
I taught it was only me that was haven all these sypmtoms,
D mirena has caused alot of problems in my relationship since haven it put in, i completley lost my sex drive, if my boyfriend even suggested sex id bite the head of him, i cant get aroused and have been very dry down below since getting the mirena, Sex was also extremely painfull, after sex i always felt like id just given birth. im getting my mirena removed this week so hopefully things will start to improve Smile
|

replied October 20th, 2009
coil query
when you have the coil without the hormones, are your periods worse than before - heavier, longer and more painful? And did it decrease your sex drive or cause acne at all? I'm desperatley looking for a contraception with a solution as my pill has completely wiped out my libido and am not sure what else to go for...
|

replied October 31st, 2009
Loss of Sex Drive with a Merina
I had the mirena put in in December 08. The insertion hurt a little but nothing to worry about really. It has been fantastic so far in that I do not have a period anymore at all, which for me is fantastic because I used to bleed every two weeks for two weeks. It has not affected my weight but it HAS affected my sex drive. It is non existant. I am seriously thinking of getting it out because my hubby is not happy (and neither am I for that matter). It is hard though because I love not having a period but no sex drive is definately a downer for a relationship!
|

replied November 8th, 2009
Hair loss and Mirena
Hi. I have read all these reporst and others and shall be having my mirena coil removed this week. I have had teh coil for 13 years. My hair has reduced by two thirds and I am so very destressed about this. Has any one who had it removed seen a change in their hair growth? I was told by GP's that stress`was the cause, as was hair products etc. I was encouraged to keep coil, having been told it would help with menopause. Signed APPLE
|
Quick Reply