Medical Questions > Relationships > Ending a Relationship Forum

Is Husband a Pathological Liar?

User Profile
I got married about 2 months ago. My husband's behavior prior to the wedding was a bit odd....dancing around signing a pre-nup.....secretive about his business and business ventures.....being adversarial. I thought much of it was jitters. Two days after the honeymoon, I found out (from a family friend) that my husband lied to me about his college education--he never graduated--although he told me he was an honors grad from Columbia. At first he denied it and tried to convince me that I was crazy and he never told me he graduated. When I showed him a copy of the wedding announcement he typed up for himself stating he graduated "magna cum laude" from Columbia, he verbally assaulted me, and refused to speak to me, interact, etc. I just feel that his credibility is shot. He is an "entrepreneur" who was rarely employed by others, so checking his history is difficult. We went to a couples counselor who felt that my request to see written proof of his financial status, and prior businesses was reasonable.....but my husband does not feel compelled to come clean or make any attempt to help rebuild the broken trust. Is there anything else I can do? I fear there may be some real pathology here.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied September 19th, 2006
Dealing With Divorce & Ending a Relationship Answer A1499
According to your description, your husband doesn’t seem to me to be a pathological liar but more like a real cheater. A pathological liar lies and then believes in his/her own lies as truth with no calculated benefit from his lies. It seems that your husband did experience a benefit from his lies because he succeeded in marrying you. No matter if he likes to discuss it, or not, you can ask for a divorce.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Ending a Relationship , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.