Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Hot Baths During First Trimester

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
I am so worried! I am only 6 weeks pregnant and i'm 36. This will be my first child, so there may not be much fertile time left for me. I've taken 3 extremely hot baths, 2 during the time of neural tube development and 1 just recently. My caregiver said it was ok to take baths, but the medical literature says not to, citing that even after the closure of the neural tube, taking hot baths in early pregnancy doubles the risk of miscarriage. Things generally seem fine, but with lots of cramping, no blood. My question is, are there any women out there who took very hot baths often during the first trimester, and who had healthy babies? And does anyone know where I can find statistics on this? Thank you so much.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile natzcee
|

replied September 6th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Re: Hot Baths During First Trimester
yesrose wrote:
i am so worried! I am only 6 weeks pregnant and i'm 36. This will be my first child, so there may not be much fertile time left for me. I've taken 3 extremely hot baths, 2 during the time of neural tube development and 1 just recently. My caregiver said it was ok to take baths, but the medical literature says not to, citing that even after the closure of the neural tube, taking hot baths in early pregnancy doubles the risk of miscarriage. Things generally seem fine, but with lots of cramping, no blood. My question is, are there any women out there who took very hot baths often during the first trimester, and who had healthy babies? And does anyone know where I can find statistics on this? Thank you so much.

try googling it but dont stress out about it too much ..
|

Especially eHealthy
Re: Hot Baths During First Trimester
yesrose wrote:
i am so worried! I am only 6 weeks pregnant and i'm 36. This will be my first child, so there may not be much fertile time left for me. I've taken 3 extremely hot baths, 2 during the time of neural tube development and 1 just recently. My caregiver said it was ok to take baths, but the medical literature says not to, citing that even after the closure of the neural tube, taking hot baths in early pregnancy doubles the risk of miscarriage. Things generally seem fine, but with lots of cramping, no blood. My question is, are there any women out there who took very hot baths often during the first trimester, and who had healthy babies? And does anyone know where I can find statistics on this? Thank you so much.

if this were indeed a major, major problem, it would be advised pregnant women not bathe. And that isn't the case. While you can always find someone who says it can cause problems, you will more than likely find more people who say it doesn't.

I've taken hot bathes all my life. The hotter the better. And i've taken hot baths and been in the jacuzi prior to knowing I was pregnant. Nothing 'bad' ever happened.

Like .Emma said, try googling it.
|

User Profile
Experienced User
My midwife told me ur not ment to have a hot bath during ur 1st trimester as hot baths open ur cervis and it can b dangerous as ur body might not have adapted to being prego and your cervis hasnt tightend up always run the cold water 1st and when ur running the hot water go into ur bath u can still have a hot bath just go in to a cool one and dont have it too hot,

also hear is another reason
you do need to be cautious about "hot" baths as there is little known about the possible effects on the blood flowing through the placenta or on the baby. If the water is too hot, you could also feel faint or sick, as it could lower your blood pressure a bit too much -- not a good thing.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Yeah ingi is right we would be notified as we are about jacuzzis and sushi and smokin and what not. Dont stress about every single thing you read. Ask your Dr. About it and try not to boil yourself in the meantime.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I take hot showers a lot. I don't know if that's the same thing,
but my pregnany is progressing perfectly. My doctor said it's
not a really big thing to worry about, &just do things as .I normally would.
|

Interesting,, my mother use to tell me she would take hot baths when I was inside her because she wanted to kill me
|

User Profile
replied September 7th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
kl79 wrote:
interesting,, my mother use to tell me she would take hot baths when I was inside her because she wanted to kill me

yes, the old wives' tale is to take a very hot bath and drink gin and then you will miscarry.

I don't think there's much of a risk in a hot bath though (obviously the gin isn't a good idea!). I took hot baths and my son is fine. Perhaps just don't do it any more if it worries you but I really think you'll be fine.
|

User Profile
Experienced User
I've taken hot baths during my entire pregnancy.

I'm due in less then 3 weeks. So it must not hurt anything!
|

Extremely eHealthy
kl79 wrote:
interesting,, my mother use to tell me she would take hot baths when I was inside her because she wanted to kill me

Lmao!
|

Especially eHealthy
emma2 wrote:
kl79 wrote:

Lmao!

i've heard this as well. But with castor oil instead of gin.
|

Extremely eHealthy
kl79 wrote:

hmmm, obviously it didn't work.
|

I believe the biggest concern with the hot baths is that it'll raise your body temperature. That's why having a fever is a concern during pregnancy--specially first trimester. The high temperature can possibly cause defects in the developing fetus. However, baths rarely do that, because the water cools fairly quickly--it certainly doesn't stay hot enough to raise your temp, and i've also read that women naturally get out when their temps rise because it's uncomfortable. This is why hot tubs are no-no's because it doesn't cool like a bath and your temp could rise.

So, I really wouldn't stress about it. It's unlikely your two baths were hot enough, long enough, to raise your temperature by much, if at all.
|

replied January 4th, 2010
Baths while pregnant
thanks for asking your question about the baths. I'm 38 and this is my first pregnancy also. I feel the same way as you do, scarred I'm gonna do something to make myself lose the baby. I'm in my first trimester and I don't have any morning sickness or oversensitive smells...The only thing I have are really big boobs and some cramping. However, I will say I think stress will do more harm than sushi, coffee or hot baths! Make sure to take some time to relax and practice staying in a positive energy space.
|

replied August 12th, 2013
Hot baths during pregnancy
I wouldn't risk having a hot bath during the first trimester. I did because i had a stiff back and an hour later I was having sever abdominal cramping and stabbing pains in my pubic region that continued throughout the night. I thought for sure that was it! My husband and I prayed continuously and through the grace of The Creator the cramping stopped.
No more hot baths for me!!!
At least not till this belly fruit is grown and harvested LOL
|

replied August 12th, 2013
Bathing while expecting
I have two boys whom are now 8 and 10. I like most of you enjoy my hot baths. Im the person who goes straight to the hot water heater when I move into a new home. I keep my water heater as hot as it will go. I had my first pregnancy at 19 and my second at 21. I asked my doctor about my hot bathing tendency. He told me the same things stated here. Hot baths are fine but u have to regulate the temperature. I always filled the tub first as hot as i could get it and then ease into it when it was full. He told me the temp could not be over 100 degrees for the baby. So he had me start the water while i was already in the tub. This way when the water was getting too hot it would make me uncomfortable and i would adjust the temp as my body deemed necc. As long as i was not sweating from being in the tub the temp was fine. Its not the water u need to be worried about, its your body temperature. I also left the bathroom door open so it wouldnt turn the bathroom into a sauna. Just keep in mind that your body regulates your temperature on its own, usually by sweating. Your baby however cannot. Your babys temp is the concern when docs refer to hot baths. After taking my docs advice and adjusting my routine for bathing i have two perfectly healthy, normal, smart kids. So yes, it is safe to take a hot bath. However just like everything else when we become pregnant you have to make tiny adjustments to adapt for the pregnancy and everything will be fine.
|

replied February 17th, 2014
Extremely hot baths taken and bad outcome
I took 2 extremely hot baths on 2 nights in a row in my first trimester because I was staying in a luxury apartment with my work and my room had a massive spa bath and I just love extremely hot baths and never have time at home with my son who was a text book pregnancy and is 2yrs and because I was only 8-9 weeks I don't know why it never even crossed my mind it was dangerous until I thought about it after I lost my baby. I had the bath it was a spa bath with jets so hot you could hardy get into it, my skin was pink, I had sweat pouring off me and I stayed in there both nights for 1-2 hours continually topping up the water to really hot again when the heat went out of it ( I have always luved soaking for hours in really really hot baths I fing it very relaxing and was stressed with work that I was putting my baby at risk never crossed my mind, when I got out the first night I felt sick and nearly fainted because the water was obviously way too hot for too long so the second nite I didn't turn the jets on spa bath just had a normal bath but it was still hot and still stayed in for at least an hr topping up the heat. I also noticed a small clot come out in the bath the first night and still it didn't dawn on me I shouldn't be doing this. The next day I had some slight cramping that continued over next week so I had another scan as initial scan had been fine at 7-8 weeks and this scan was fine too with strong heartbeat so then next scan was 13 weeks and when I went for that scan baby had died inside me and was just floating & I then had to have the baby removed I still have the 3 scan pictures of my 2nd baby that's all I have apart from the guilt I will always have forever with me did my stupidity harm my baby! I have had another pregnancy after losing my 2nd baby my 3rd pregnancy which was again text book same as my first pregnancy and resulted in my rainbow baby my daughter and no hot baths at all were taken with her pregnancy.
|