Medical Questions > Womens Health > Hysterectomy Forum

Novasure (Page 1)

Must Read
Is ovarian cancer connected with ovarian cysts? What types of ovarian cancer do doctors diagnose? Get the basic facts on ovarian cancer here....
Some women are at higher risk of developing ovarian cancer. Who is in the highest risk group and what can you do to reduce risk of ovarian cancer?...
Ovarian cancer symptoms can be vague or caused by many other conditions. Learn what to look for and know when to seek help for ovarian cancer here....
User Profile
Has anyone heard of the procedure called novasure? From what I hear from a friend that had it done is that it is a proceedure that coterizes the inside of your uterus so that you don't get pregnant. It stops your mentstral cycle, calms pms, and takes cramps away. But this is all I know so if anyone else might know the good or even the down side of this procedure your input would be greatly appreciated thank you
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile littlesqueaks
|

replied January 20th, 2007
Re: Novasure
heathercarl wrote:
has anyone heard of the procedure called novasure? From what I hear from a friend that had it done is that it is a proceedure that coterizes the inside of your uterus so that you don't get pregnant. It stops your mentstral cycle, calms pms, and takes cramps away. But this is all I know so if anyone else might know the good or even the down side of this procedure your input would be greatly appreciated thank you

hello heathercarl,
i just logged onto this forum so it;s a little late for your question. But if your still interested, novasure ablation basically lazors the lining of a womens uterus. It is used for women who have very heavy periods and painful periods. It should only be done if the woman has made the decision not to have any more children, as you can still become pregnant, but would not be able to have a baby since the lining is now basically gone. A pregnancy would have to be terminated. I just had this procedure done in december. It does not stop your periods in all women, but will make them much more lighter.
|

User Profile
replied January 20th, 2007
Experienced User
Hey thank you so much for your reply if you don't mind I have a few more questions about the procedure such as does it help women who suffer from extreme pms and or mood swings during what should be a normal menstrual cycle? I am not wanting the procedure to prevent pregnancy because my husband has been snipped between the two of us he has two kids (older) from his previous marriage and I have two from my previous and the two of us have no intentions of having more. But I have noticed as I become older I have noticed that cramps are becoming severe and my moods. Without rushing into menopause and drugs I was wanting to know about the procedure to see if these things can be lessoned. Thank you for your time and your reply.
|

replied January 29th, 2007
One Week Post Novasure Procedure
Hi, I was just doing some research on the novasure procedure as I just had it done a week ago and have developed flu-like symptoms and restarted clear to light brown drainage and was curious if this was normal. I have not had any symptoms really other than a constant sharp to dull stomach pain and severe nausea, but not to the point I have actually vomited. I'm starting to be afraid this might be signs of an infection.

To answer your question though, the novasure will not help to alter any mood symptoms, as those are hormonal and caused by your ovaries. This procedure does in fact just burn out the endometrial lining of the stomach and turn it into scar so the only symptom of your period that it will resolve is the excessive or dysfunctional period. They claim you will still continue to have any other symptoms that you typically would have had before, just now the endometrial lining will not slough off anymore as it is now scar tissue, or at least decreased sloughing by 80% or more. The only way to really solve symptoms you are describing would probably be some sort of hormonal supplement.
|

replied March 5th, 2007
HeatherCarl wrote:
Has anyone heard of the procedure called novasure? From what I hear from a friend that had it done is that it is a proceedure that coterizes the inside of your uterus so that you don't get pregnant. It stops your mentstral cycle, calms pms, and takes cramps away. But this is all I know so if anyone else might know the good or even the down side of this procedure your input would be greatly appreciated thank you

I just had the procedure done this past Friday. I had it done because of heavy bleeding and it was causing me to be anemic. I don't think the procedure is able to cure PMS as that is hormonal, and it is not a way to not become pregnant. The procedure is meant for stop heavy bleeding in women who don't plan on having more children as an alternative to an hysterectomy.

Like I said, I had the procedure 3 days ago. So far the only symptoms I have had was mild cramping and slight bleeding. I even went back to work today. I was told to take it easy for a week or so. Infection is possible so I need to be careful and watch for fever, etc. For me, it was the perfect choice. If anyone is thinking of having it done, I would recommend it.
|

replied April 16th, 2007
Novasure
I am having this procedure tomorrow morning and I am pretty worried about the whole thing. I am having it done in the doctors office.

Can anyone tell me what exactly to expect? What type of sedation and will I be like awake or kind of out >??

Will I feel anything? I know it does not take long but how will I feel when they wake me?

Sherry
|

replied March 31st, 2012
Novasure
Hi Sherry,
I had Novasure done last Tuesday, four days ago. I was completely knocked out, although they say you're not. I do not remember anything about the procedure, and it was really painless. I felt no pain after the surgery, and very mild cramping the next day..and a little today. But, all in all I would do it again. I wish I could report on the long term effects, but short term as been a piece of cake!!
|

replied April 16th, 2007
LBlonde65 wrote:
I am having this procedure tomorrow morning and I am pretty worried about the whole thing. I am having it done in the doctors office.

Can anyone tell me what exactly to expect? What type of sedation and will I be like awake or kind of out >??

Will I feel anything? I know it does not take long but how will I feel when they wake me?

Sherry

I had my procedure done at the hospital and had a general anethesia. So I was completely out and felt nothing. I am not sure what kind of sedation you'll have. didn't your Doctor discuss this with you?I can only comment from my own experience.

When I woke up, I felt like I had cramps. That's it. I took advil and needed no pain medicine. The procedure itself takes 90 seconds. My surgery was scheduled for 2:00 and I was home by 4:00. The next morning, I felt a little weak but I think that was from not eating. One thing the nurses told me was to make sure you drink a lot of water when you get home. I had mine done on a Friday and was back to work on Monday. I was restricted to no heavy lifting for 2 weeks.

I would highly recommend this surgery to anyone who is thinking of it.
|

replied April 17th, 2007
Novasure
It does not stop pregnancy

Sherry
|

replied April 17th, 2007
Novasure
Laurie

Thank you for telling me your experience. I leave in two hours and am very nervous. I am having it done in a doctors office and they said I would have to take a pregnancy test first and would get a general anethesia and it would only take 90 seconds and said I would leave with some pain medicine. I think I am more worried about the shot (IV) LOL

I am being told I can go back to work tomorrow. I hope I will feel good. Were you awake good when they woke you up? How did you feel right after you had it done. Were you okay to walk and stuff?

Sherry
|

replied April 17th, 2007
Novasure
LaurieB

I suppose I will have it done and walk out of the doctors office. It sounds weird that some people have had it done in the hospital and now a days they just do it in and out of the office.

I suppose insurance does not want to pay for stuff

Has your bleeding stopped completely? They say for some woman it does and that is what I am hoping for.

Sherry
|

replied April 17th, 2007
Novasure Procedure Done Today
I went into the doctors office and this is what happened step by step

First no eating or drinking after midnight

Got there at 10:00 but did not go into the office until 10:45 I guess they were running late so it made me more and more nervous. My BF went with me whom I have been with for 17 years.

The scheduled me right away for my two week checkup. They also called in a prescription for darvaset to rite aid for me to pick up after the surgery.

Got into the room and a nurse came in and asked me some questions and than she said she needed a urine sample for a pregnancy test.

Than Doddy came in who is the anastesiologist and she was super nice and told me what to expect. She said they would put a blood pressure thing on my arm and something on my finger to check my signs and also some things would be placed on my chest. To monitor me when they put me under.

She said I may hear things or maybe know some of what is happening but as she sees my vital signs she will know if I need more medication. She said to me do not worry I am no rookie. (She was so nice)

I than went into another room where the surgery was to take place and got nervous at what I was seeing. LOL

Doddy than put the thing on my arm and on my finger and chest and than she said here is the good news I am going to give you a local before I put the IV in. So she numbed my hand and than inserted the IV and the only thing I felt was the Local was like a bee sting and I did not feel the IV go in.

At this point the nurse, doctor and Doddy (Anastesiologist)were all in the room. He said to lay down and move down like you are getting a PAPSMEAR. I did that and they tried to make jokes with me. He asked me if I had any questions and I said I read all I needed to know in the internet and they laughed.

The next thing I know is Doddy telling me I am getting tired and I told her it hurt my arm. The medication I could feel going through my veins and than I was out and they were waking me up and took me back to the other room and I sat there for about 10 minutes with my BF before we left. By now it is 12:00 noon so I was in the room from 10:45 to 12:00. Surprised

Anyway so we went to riteaid and picked up my prescription and went home and by than the pain was getting worst I immediately took a pain pill as we were leaving riteaid. It is now 12:00 and I got home and made a hot pack and put it on my stomach as the nurse told me to do. I have a bunn coffee pot so I kept hot water available all day. I was in major pain from 12 until 2:30 and than the pain died some and I started to doze in and out. But I took an extra pain pill also which I was not suppose to. I had three from 12 to 6 Mad And you are only suppose to have one every 4 hours.

By 3 I was not in major pain but could still feel my stomach hurting. My lower pelvic area. Anyway it is now 9:30 and I feel a little bloated and still feel small cramping but other than that so far so good.

I have a tiny bit of bleeding and some discharge but I will keep you posted and let you know how it goes tomorrow when I have to go to work.

Sherry Laughing
|

replied April 20th, 2007
After the Novasure Procedure
I feel so bloated in my upper stomach and it feels hard and I feel full and miserable and have not even eaten. And yes I have been to the bathroom.

Is this a normal side effect because I cannot find anything on the internet?

Sherry Twisted Evil
|

replied August 24th, 2011
I have the exact same thing...is there an answer for this? Should I be concerned?
Sallie218
|

replied May 29th, 2007
You can still get pregnant after novasure I just had this 5 weeks ago

Sherry
|

replied May 29th, 2007
Novasure Procedure 5 Weeks Ago
I went into the doctors office and this is what happened step by step

first no eating or drinking after midnight

got there at 10:00 but did not go into the office until 10:45 I guess they were running late so it made me more and more nervous. My bf went with me whom I have been with for 17 years.

The scheduled me right away for my two week checkup. They also called in a prescription for darvaset to rite aid for me to pick up after the surgery.

Got into the room and a nurse came in and asked me some questions and than she said she needed a urine sample for a pregnancy test.

Than doddy came in who is the anastesiologist and she was super nice and told me what to expect. She said they would put a blood pressure thing on my arm and something on my finger to check my signs and also some things would be placed on my chest. To monitor me when they put me under.

She said I may hear things or maybe know some of what is happening but as she sees my vital signs she will know if I need more medication. She said to me do not worry I am no rookie. (she was so nice)

i than went into another room where the surgery was to take place and got nervous at what I was seeing. Lol

doddy than put the thing on my arm and on my finger and chest and than she said here is the good news I am going to give you a local before I put the iv in. So she numbed my hand and than inserted the iv and the only thing I felt was the local was like a bee sting and I did not feel the iv go in.

At this point the nurse, doctor and doddy (anastesiologist)were all in the room. He said to lay down and move down like you are getting a papsmear. I did that and they tried to make jokes with me. He asked me if I had any questions and I said I read all I needed to know in the internet and they laughed.

The next thing I know is doddy telling me I am getting tired and I told her it hurt my arm. The medication I could feel going through my veins and than I was out and they were waking me up and took me back to the other room and I sat there for about 10 minutes with my bf before we left. By now it is 12:00 noon so I was in the room from 10:45 to 12:00.

anyway so we went to riteaid and picked up my prescription and went home and by than the pain was getting worst I immediately took a pain pill as we were leaving riteaid. It is now 12:00 and I got home and made a hot pack and put it on my stomach as the nurse told me to do. I have a bunn coffee pot so I kept hot water available all day. I was in major pain from 12 until 2:30 and than the pain died some and I started to doze in and out. But I took an extra pain pill also which I was not suppose to. I had three from 12 to 6 and you are only suppose to have one every 4 hours.

By 3 I was not in major pain but could still feel my stomach hurting. My lower pelvic area. Anyway it is now 9:30 and I feel a little bloated and still feel small cramping but other than that so far so good.

I have a tiny bit of bleeding and some discharge but I will keep you posted and let you know how it goes tomorrow when I have to go to work.

Sherry
|

replied May 29th, 2007
Novasure Procedure 5 Weeks Ago
I had cramps still for about 4.5 weeks and was still spotting off and on and now it has been since April 17th and I am doing awesome no more bleeding and no more discharge.

We did not have any sex for 3 weeks and than went with out again for 2 more weeks due to the off and on again bleeding.

Not sure if it will take away the monthly forever but I will keep you posted.

sherry
|

replied June 5th, 2007
Novasure-works For Some,but Not All
I had an endometrial ablation 3 yrs ago. I had the procedure in a hospital. It was completely painless during and after. I went to lunch with my hubby afterward and took advil as a precaution, but was never in any pain. I was off work for 4 days by doc's recommendation. For the first 2 years it lessened my periods gradually. There were even a couple of months it was barely noticeable.

well here it is 3 years later and the periods from hell have returned, though not as bad as before the ablation. They just go on and on. I am scheduled for a hysterectomy in two weeks. I have been doing my research and have gone through the ups and downs of second guessing myself. I have tried to regulate my periods with birth control pills and it works for a couple of months and then it's right back to it. My mother had a hyst at 53 for the same reason. I am hoping that everything will go well. I am young and healthy and expect the best. I obviously am not planning on any more children and don't want to take hormones to correct this, so this sounds like a good option for me.

Don't worry, endo abation is a great alternative if it does the trick for you.

Best wishes Very Happy
|

replied June 6th, 2007
Novasure
I had it done in the doctors office and was only off work that same day on a Tuesday. I went back to work the next day.

It is new with them doing it right in the doctors office now. They did some tests to see if it would work and decided it would and it would also save people money by having it done in the office.

Sherry
|

replied June 17th, 2007
Novasure
question: * is normal endo. 5mm if so what would explain endo. Of 8mm after novasure ablation? Am sched. For laproscopic explore & hysteroscopy. ..Due to enlarging uterus & cervix with pain & slow but steady increase in ca-125 level. Have had numerous ct/mri/us procedures since 8-2006, gyno. Referred to oncologist I saw last week..Any advice appreciated..
|

replied September 5th, 2007
Nova Sure Procedure
I had the procedure done 4-06 and I had discharge & bleeding for the first couple of weeks and since then I have not had a period and it is September of 07. I had it done in a surgical center and went home the same day then took 2 days off but I was fine after that. I had the procedure done after the birth of my 3rd child, I decided to have my tubes tied thinking I didn't want anymore kids and then the constant bleeding. The doctor advised me that i could not get pregnant again if this was done which i was fine with since i had my tubes tied already.

Now i am wondering if pregnancy is possible???? I should not get my hopes up but anyone who has had a sucsseful pregnancy after novasure please let me know.
|

replied September 5th, 2007
Nova Sure Procedure
I had the procedure done 4-06 and I had discharge & bleeding for the first couple of weeks and since then I have not had a period and it is September of 07. I had it done in a surgical center and went home the same day then took 2 days off but I was fine after that. I had the procedure done after the birth of my 3rd child, I decided to have my tubes tied thinking I didn't want anymore kids and then the constant bleeding. The doctor advised me that i could not get pregnant again if this was done which i was fine with since i had my tubes tied already.

Now i am wondering if pregnancy is possible???? I should not get my hopes up but anyone who has had a sucsseful pregnancy after novasure please let me know.
|
Quick Reply