Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hypoglycemia Forum

Soy Products: a Bad Alternative? Gas, Plumbing Problems...

Must Read
We burp, belch and fart an average of 12 times a day. But why do we have gas? And what is intestinal gas?...the basics here....
Intestinal gas forms from two main sources - swallowed air and bacteria in the intestine. Plus, learn which factors to avoid to decrease the likelihood of gas....
How much gas is normal? Usually symptoms of gas and flatulence are more bothersome than serious. But learn when you should seek help for excessive gas here....
Stan,

in a separate thread you said:

"soy milk isn't the best idea, our bodies are not geared to digest large amounts of soy and have to actually take nutrients and minerals from your body to digest it. Not worth it. Better to try yogurt if you want (only sheep) or just take a calcium tablet for the time being. You may be eating too much for your activity level, if you want to test that hold back on the olive oil a little bit."

would this explain why I had a lot of gas, and three days of diarrehea after making 2 protein shakes a day with spirulina mixed-berry soy protein powder with unsweetned soy milk?

It seems like such a shame ... I thought it'd be a great alternative protein source when I get fed up with meat!!

Argh - i'm so taken back by the list if things I can't have, has anyone made a bulleted list of things that we can have??
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 28th, 2006
Community Volunteer
Yeah, that's likely the problem. Soy is okay in small amounts. Maybe what you've been drinking every couple of days, but not every day for sure. The chinese only use tofu as a condiment, unlike what most people seem to think. Never, ever do they use it as a staple protein source. Well, today they might, but traditionally they didn't and you shouldn't. Read the maker's diet about that one, it's in there. There are plenty of protein sources out there; beef, lamb, chicken, turkey, some types of wild game, most types of fish, eggs and so forth. I never even thought soy tasted good anyway, they have to add a lot of crap to make it palatable. Could you give me an ingredient list from that mix you say you put in the soy milk? Also, I had a few people ask for a list of okay foods, but I don't see why. That list I made is alphabetical, if you think you want to try a food check the list, if it's not on there it's okay.
|

Interesting.

Yes, absolutely - i'll post the ingredient list soon. The mix was actually a recommendation off another board. But it just goes to show, what one can tolarate, another can not!

In regards to the forbidden food list: think of it as less of a practical request - and more of a *psychological* request (psych major here).

Looking at a list and having to feel bummed about every gosh-darned "forbidden" food you can't eat really sucks.

But looking at a list of things we can eat can be more inspiring. Don't you think? Anyone else feel this way? (it can also be more useful to take to the grocery store ...)
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
I defintely see what you're saying and never even thought about that. We can try to work on one, but it will be pretty damn large. Definitely less compact than the single page of the forbiddens, but if it's a good idea maybe we should do it.
|

replied August 29th, 2006
Experienced User
Yes, I agree, a list with all the foods you recommend eating would be great! Stan, how do you feel about using whey protein...It seems to be more digestible and it can be used in smoothies also.

Thanks,
dj
|

Soy
I know soy is easier for human digestion, but not less useful and even better for digestion, becouse it assimilates faster and do not contains cholesterol at all. And it is preferable spesially for people who has high blood presure.
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
I'm not sure where you got that, there are numerous studies and articles out there concerning the difficulty the body has digesting soy because of it's incredibly high phytic acid content. Isn't whey from wheat? You need to avoid that. I actually tried whey protein once and it totally sucked, not to mention I crashed within 10 minutes of drinking it down.
|

replied January 18th, 2010
agghhh whey isnt wheat!! and i havwe been a vegan for 2 yrs veg.for 8 yrs and if you actually looked at what there is in milk-whey products you wouldnt touch it!! there is mucus from the tits of the cows that have puss in it and other chemicals that are given to the cows!! i woudnt touch milk if was the last drink in the world!! its been proven that the strained product left is used to make chocholate milks that are sold in stores!!
there are plenty of protein sources like beans, nuts, and lots of veg friendly products in the stores that dont limit you to a block of tofu! my parents have a ATV club and there oldest member is 95 yrs old and he is a vegan!! so do your research and dont take other peoples word...cause most of the time they have NO idea what they are talking about!!!
|

replied January 18th, 2010
whey is milk
|

replied July 27th, 2010
Milk
ok so i want to know, if i cant stand beans, they give me a hard time and gas ofcourse, and i am lactose intolerant, and you i love milk, and i am macrobiotic, so i decided to take on soy milk as my main source of milk, not necessarily of protein but just of milk, i want milk.
So soy mile is not good for you if taken daily?
ive heard of rice milk, but where i live, this is not available anywhere, you have to make it yourself.
Ive tried making rice milk once, but i couldnt drink it, it tasted like dust in a cup!
I also tried almond milk, i also made it myself, but i couldnt drink it....
So now what?
|