Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

Severely Chapped Lips (Page 1)

Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
For the past year or so, my lips have been cracked, split, and peeling profusely! It hurts every time my lips start to shed. I've tried every chapstick, lip balm, lotion, cream on the market. I talked to my doctor and she said it was because a lack of vitamin b. So I started taking vitamin b complex supplements in november and my lips now are getting worse day by day. Now they bleed and peel more than once a day, every day and chapstick seems to make it worse. Does anyone know of anything that might work?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Lynn555
|

User Profile
replied January 29th, 2004
Supporter
Regular Dr Or Dermo?
Hijuliep! Not sure if you went to a primary care physican or a certified dermatologist. I would most definitely find me a good derma Dr. Because they can tell you exactly what is going on with your lips. Have you ever tried to puncture a vitamin e capsule and rub the oil onto your lips? Also if you could mix this oil with aloe vera juice. Both of these have natural healing properties and have helped me tremendously. Hope this helps you!
|

replied December 23rd, 2011
Best thing in the world for dry, itchy lips
What works for my dry, itchy lips is Lansinoh cream (pure lanolin) and 1% hydrocortisone ointment, mixed together in the palm of my hand. You must be sure to get hydrocortisone ointment, not cream because the ointment contains only hydrocortisone and petrolatum. Avoiding irritants on the lips is very important -- the reason products like Blistex sting when applied is that they contain ingredients like menthol and camphor which are the worst things possible for skin. Hope this helps.
|

replied March 10th, 2012
Thank you, thank you!!! I swear I have tried everything I could find (including the irritating medicated Blistex) and nothing worked...the problem was just getting worse and worse. I never would have thought of the lanolin, but it WORKED!!! And quickly, too! I am so thankful and relieved, and I urge everyone with severely chapped lips to try. (Find it in the pharmacy's breastfeeding area - it's non-toxic and safe.)
|

replied March 15th, 2013
It's amazing how much this has helped. After surgery a month ago, my lips became more & more chapped and hurt so bad. They were raw & throbbed in pain. Did your lips ever return to normal? My lips were so much better after 24 hours, but now it has been 3 days & I'm afraid to quit using it. I think in another day or 2 they could feel normal. My BeautiControl Lip Balm has always worked & I'm wondering when I can go back to using it.
|

replied March 10th, 2012
Thank you, thank you!!! I swear I have tried everything I could find (including the irritating medicated Blistex) and nothing worked...the problem was just getting worse and worse. I never would have thought of the lanolin, but it WORKED!!! And quickly, too! I am so thankful and relieved, and I urge everyone with severely chapped lips to try. (Find it in the pharmacy's breastfeeding area - it's non-toxic and safe.)
|

replied September 27th, 2012
Yes, Lanolin Works- and fast too
I just had a major bout of lip peeling for the past 2 months and I believe it was Exfoliative Cheilitis. My husband read about the lanolin ointment/Lanisoh and bought me a tube- very funny to be buying 'cracked nipple cream' for my lips... BUT IT WORKED. My lips were a tragic splitting, flaking, crusty, bleeding mess- very, very embarrasing and the Lanisoh soothed them and returned them to a normal state within 2 to 3 days. It's thick and a bit sticky and completely different than anything else (vaseline, neosporin, burt's bees, chapstick, vitamin e capsules, etc.- those don't work!). I'm singing the praises of cracked nipple cream now- headed the tube up by placing in a cup of warm water for a min and then it melted so I could easily pour some into a small travel container. It's a God send!!
|

replied March 15th, 2013
Oh my, this works so good. After just 24 hours my lips felt better and didn't feel raw and weren't throbbing in pain. How long before you could quit using it? Did your lips stay feeling normal? It's been 3 days, and they aren't normal, but feel so much better, but I'm afraid to stop using it. Who would have thought a cracked nipple cream would work for chapped lips. Thank you so much.
|

replied May 27th, 2013
This Lanoish and Hydrocortisone ointment just saved my son. He is 8 years old and susceptible to severe chapped lips. Once his lips turn a purple color, look out. We just went through the most painful chapped lip episode ever. Cracked, peeling, bleeding lips. I tried everything. I thought coconut oil was the answer. I was desperate. I saw this blog and immediately went to the closest store to get these two miracle products. I am not kidding. Within 24 hours the pain had minimized, his lips began to look normal. After 3 days we are back to normal, but continuing the application as prevention. This blog was a god send. Thank you so much. Not sure why this is not more widely known. Thank You!
|

replied May 27th, 2013
This Lanoish and Hydrocortisone ointment just saved my son. He is 8 years old and susceptible to severe chapped lips. Once his lips turn a purple color, look out. We just went through the most painful chapped lip episode ever. Cracked, peeling, bleeding lips. I tried everything. I thought coconut oil was the answer. I was desperate. I saw this blog and immediately went to the closest store to get these two miracle products. I am not kidding. Within 24 hours the pain had minimized, his lips began to look normal. After 3 days we are back to normal, but continuing the application as prevention. This blog was a god send. Thank you so much. Not sure why this is not more widely known. Thank You!
|

replied March 23rd, 2014
thank you,thank you,thank you you saved my life...in just 2 days my lips are 90% better...i had been suffering for 3 months and tried lots of remedies but none of them worked..i will be keeping the lansinoh cream as a staple in my home.
anyone who has cheilitis should go and buy the lansinoh and hydrocortisone ointment and see the miracle working..if i could post the before pic it would scare you, but now my lips are soft and supple.
|

User Profile
replied January 29th, 2004
Advanced Support Team
Chapped Lips
Vaseline or carmex dosen't help at all? Also...You should try mary kay's satin lips...It comes with a buffing cream that gets all the dead skin off..It may hurt, but then it has a real nice seal stick you put on your lips and keeps moisture in and stays on even when you drink and such.

~sara~
|

replied April 21st, 2004
Yes I usually dont meet anyone else with this problem( well not severe), but i"ve tried all brands of lipstick and everything else and my lips still crack and peel! The previous posts seem to have some good info which I will definitely try fasholafay
|

replied April 23rd, 2004
Experienced User
I'd have to look up the name, but there is a prescription ointment that is great for that problem. I would go to a dermatologist to try and find the reason behind your chapped lips, but to heal them there is a prescription you can get. I used it when I was on accutane for acne, and one of the side effects is severly chapped lips. Nothing otc worked for me but the ointment was great. The doc should know the name.
|

replied May 19th, 2011
Acne Dry Lips
What is the name of the script?
|

replied July 21st, 2004
Severely Chapped Lips
I have the very same problem but haven't been suffering as long as you have. My length of time has been 1 1/2 months so my heart really goes out to you. I have been doing research and I ran across this woman who suffered for 20 years with this very same problem and she tried 'lansinoh brand lanolin'. It's 100% pure, medical grade lanolin. This product can be found in the breastfeeding supply area at walmart. It is designed and geared for breastfeeding mothers for their dried, cracked skin/nipples. It has no flavor and safe for the breastfed baby. So on a whim this woman tried it on her lips and it helped her to acheive beautiful soft lips even through 2 harsh winters in wisconsin. The cost of this product is under $10.00. She went on to say that she's 'still on the same tube after 17 months'. Few people are allergic to lanolin and lanolin is the closest thing possible to our skins natural lubrication and one of the best things for natually keeping skin soft. Sure do hope this product will be the last thing we will ever have to use to end our problem. Jenz
|
Users who thank jenz for this post: smalldoll 

replied March 10th, 2012
The Lansinoh worked for me!!! I was DESPERATE, having tried everything OTC. I got the idea from this forum and had to return to tell others: it's worth trying!
|

replied March 10th, 2012
The Lansinoh worked for me!!! I was DESPERATE, having tried everything OTC. I got the idea from this forum and had to return to tell others: it's worth trying!
|

replied December 11th, 2004
You're Not Going to Believe This, But It Worked!!
I had that same problem with my lips. At first they would itch and I would avoid scratching them at all costs, and then I would scratch them and the next morning......Really dry bleeding lips. Chapstick rarely, if ever, worked. The worse problem with my lips however, is when they started pealing at the corners of my mouth. The dry skin got so irritated, that it eventually took over the whole area around my mouth as well. When I would peal the skin (after it scabbed up from some secretion from my lips) it would only worsen. (even when I didnt peel the skin it got worse). I have been reading tons of these message boards and it seems as though chapsticks, oinments, and dermatologist haven't been that successful. This may sound crazy but I simlpy got down on my knees and prayed to god through jesus. I said, "lord, if you were willing to die for me, how much more will you give me the much smaller things that I ask." I am not lying to you guys when I say, my lips were healed within 30 mins. - so much so, that I joined this message board to tell you guys about it (kind of my way of thanking god) i'm not anti-medicine or anything like that, but all I know is that I prayed, and it worked.... What do you have to lose
|

replied January 10th, 2005
|

replied March 16th, 2005
Chapped Lips
Could it be perleche?
|

replied July 8th, 2005
Severley Chapped Lips
To those of you who suffer the same problem as me..... We all know how it feels- we use every lip balm, cream, etc out there, with the hope of it working- and yet again it doesn't. I have had cracked, dry, and annoying lips for as long as I can remember- atleast 10 years. I carry my lip balm with me everywhere I go, as one day with out is like torture! I have read some previous replies- and they all seem to be fixing the problem once it has happened- but what about finding the prevention? I have always thought it was just about the product I was using- like everyone else has thought. However, the more and more I speak to herbologists and alternative medical practicioners, the more I believe that it has everything to do with my internal system.
I have been told to cut down on wheat products, eat more vegetables, and drink aloe vera juice. I believe that if I make my insides feel better, than my outsides, including my lips will feel better. I guess its the age old cliche', "you are what you eat!". Perhaps this might help people for the long run, instead of a "quick fix" like lanolin or potentially damaging fix like the prescription drugs.
|

replied July 23rd, 2005
Experienced User
I am not sure, but my friend had been under a lot of stress with planning a wedding and her job, she went to her doc and he said it was b/c of stress, sure enough she would find herself biting at her lips and licking them when she was stressed. If I find out what she used, I will let you guys know. Until then, stop stressing!!! :)
|

User Profile
replied July 25th, 2005
Experienced User
I also get very chapped lips due to accutane. I use vaseline!! The jelly kind. And then on top I use neutrogena chap stick which works very well. Use both of thhem together and your chapped lips will turn into soft smooth lips.
|

replied December 7th, 2005
Severly Chapped Lips
I put pure vitamin e on my son's serverly chapped lips every night and morning, within five days they healed. I cut open a pure vitamin e capsule and squeezed out the oil. It really stinks but I works wonders. :lol:
|

replied December 30th, 2005
the Lansinoh Worked!
I would like to thank "jenz" very much for the tip on the 100% lanolin. I read the post last night, and immediately went to walmart to get the lansinoh. I found it in the infant section, it's a 2 oz. Tube, and costs about $9.00. I applied it last night to my very chapped lips, and the cracks in the corners of my mouth. This morning my lips felt 80% better, and I can now smile and move my mouth normally. I am so happy and relieved that something finally worked. I also threw away the new toothpaste I bought, because I think that I had an allergic reaction to it, which caused this problem. Also, be careful of allowing very spicy food to get on your lips, it can cause blisters, which has happened to me in the past. Also, I accidentally got essential oil on my lips once, and that caused a big problem too. I suggest trying the lanolin, and once your lips have healed, be very careful of what substances get on them. M.L. :d
|

replied March 10th, 2012
Yes, the Lansinoh worked for me, too! A good non-irritating lip balm (-I have Nivea) will help maintain softness but it doesn't cure: first use the lanolin!
|

replied February 26th, 2006
Re: Severely Chapped Lips
I had the same problem! I tried blistex, intensive moisturiser (i got it from superdrug) and it really stung when I put it on, but after just a week or so I really noticed a difference and now its fine!
|

replied April 7th, 2006
to Cure Chapped Lips Read On!
Hi,,,i have the same problem, although mine was more deliberate. I scrubbed my lips raw and the skin peeled off..Ouch!... Well in your case im not sure what the problem is, but to rectify the damage already caused, apply a generous covering of lansinoh lanolin on your lips. Do not wash it off until your lips have completely healed, this may take a few weeks... As no scab will form over the cuts, the skin heals itself under the lanolin layer....Moist wound healing...

Where to buy?.... Most pharmacies...Its a breast cream, but dont let that discourage you... Hope it heals..It will with this stuff
|

replied June 25th, 2006
Red Chapped/cut Lips
Ok,

so this totally worked for me twice! I went to the doctor and he told me to use hydrocortisone 1% (over the counter) about 6 months ago. It worked and the lips were fine after less than 1 week.

I can't believe that I even forgot about this when the red/chapped/cut lips started again just a few weeks back. I went back to him and he reminded me of the hydrocortisone, but this time he perscribed the 2.5% (which is by perscription only)

i joined this forum just to share this info, btw. I got it and had read in this forum about 'lansinoh brand lanolin' so I bought that too.

Let me tell you that the it all cleared up in less than a week again and there are no signs of it reappearing. Also, I seem to not need chapstick or the like anymore at all either!! I must have been using lip balm just about 10 times a day for years, no joke. I think the 'lansinoh brand lanolin' really cuts done on the need. Once or twice a day is all I need.
I really hope that this helps people as it really, really worked for me.

Good luck!
|

replied July 26th, 2006
So Happy I Read This!
I figured I would have to just live with the side affects of accutane (severly chapped lips)! I am so happy to read that there is something out there that will help.

I'm going to try them tonight. Like aforementioned, my lips keep cracking and peeling, the corners of my mouth are the worst. It looks like I have a disease or something. It hurts to open my mouth even.

Anyway, thank you so much for sharing the info!

Sjr
|

replied January 14th, 2007
I just want to say thanks! I;ve had this problem for years and didn't htink there was a solution. I'm going to try all of these and hope they help!
|

replied February 1st, 2007
Deep Bottom Lip Cut
Hi there, I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for me. My problem is a cut right in the very centre of my bottom lip. As much as vasaline and chapsticks help with with the soreness, the cut just won't heal because by talking and eating with the cut right in the middle it just splits open everytime it starts to heal over. Is there any kind of paste substance to use? I really don't want to have to get stitches on my lip! Thanks
|

replied August 24th, 2011
Chapped, burning lips
I have been using the lanolin - I must say I think this is the first time I have found something that makes my lips feel better. Try it.
|
Quick Reply