Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Discectomy L5 S1 (Page 1)

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
Has anyone on here had this disc removed?
If so how are you? :
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper hayhackey
|

replied May 18th, 2009
Discectomy L5 S1
I had this disc removed 9 days ago.
I had a fall at work and was hospitalized in total agony for 8 days before the hospital would allow for an MRI. When they did, it was clear surgery was necessary and it was done two days later. I stood up under my own power the night (10 hrs) after surgery. I still have a fair amount of pain and numbness in my leg from the compression of the nerve but it seems to diminish daily.
Mike
|

User Profile
replied May 19th, 2009
Supporter
discectomy L5/s1
my brother in law had it done several months ago and he is superb. his only problem after surgery was the wound and that was minor due to infection. he always said if a disc problem arose again he would not hesitate surgery as he was in agony for months before the operation.
as for myself i longterm chronic disc sufferer as surgery not an option for me.
wish you all the best and speedy recovery.
|

User Profile
replied July 21st, 2009
I had this surgery 6 weeks ago and it was one of the best things I ever did. I suffered for years until it finally became unberable one day. I had relief from the moment I woke up after surgery. I went through chriopratic treament, epidural steroid shots, every kind of pain medication you can think of ( not one of them helped with the pain) and physical therapy. I was always scared of back surgery, because of all the horror stories that you hear, but when you are totally miserable and nothing is helping, you need to consider what is best for you to get back your quality of life.
|

replied November 9th, 2009
discectomy L4-L5
I had a surgery 4 weeks ago and I am happy as happy a woman can be! I had pain in my back and leg for more than a year. I went to the doctor for osteopathic help and also had epidural steroïd shots, which helped me for 2 weeks and than the pain started again in my leg. I was very afraid of back surgery. And after I found a doctor who could help me with a discectomy, I dared and couldn't wait any longer. Day 1: surgery, day 2: back home, day 4: starting exercises with a physiotherapy. And now, 4 weeks later, I can make a walk for 1 hour in a reasonable pace.
I say: do it, now!
|

replied November 14th, 2009
I had this done 2 weeks ago day1 surgery day2 bed rest day 3 up and day4 home.. wound healed great apart from pain and numbness in my leg which is not constant and easing off daily would not hesitate to have it done again. start physio in 3 days time hope to be back to work in 6/8 weeks.
|

replied December 26th, 2009
had this done 2 years ago! best thing ever! I am almost free of pain unless I overdue it.. I have nerve damage in my left foot.. but can live with that!
|

replied January 13th, 2010
l5-s1 micro discectomy numbness post op.
has anyone had a micro discectomy l5-s1, and after surgery (9 days later), still have numbness in the left leg - lower extremities, with a burning sensation? plus before surgery i never had numbness in my scrotum, penis area,but after surgery..NOW...i do. has anyone felt like this, and did you recover? my doctor doesn't seem to worry.
|

replied February 2nd, 2010
In need of advice
Where was your surgery done at?im having mine at Philippnes St. Lukes Hospital. Is it the best choice?
|

replied February 18th, 2010
L5/S1 Microdiscectomy
Anyone know about Thomas Mazahery in Virginia ? I have mine scheduled ina week. Mine is L5/S1 left large herniation but the strange thing is the pain doesnot come down to the leg. I just get tingling sensation in my butt and mainly calf areas. Not sure if microdiscectomy would really cure it. Am sceptical !!!Advise...motivate...
|

replied February 19th, 2010
I have a surgery on l5 s1 disc 1 week ago In India
friday -12feb 2009 discectomy l5-s1 [ not micro]
saturday discharge from hospital
from monday started office work and walking
sciatic pain gone [ which was 4 years old]
physio started 5 days ago
pain still hurts but overall 90% relief
cost of treatment 70,000 ruppes India 1400 $
Razz
|

replied March 31st, 2010
L5/S1 Discectomy Laminectomy and insertion of a spineous spacer.
I had open bi lateral discectomy, bi lateral laminectomy and the insertion of a Wallace spacer as the full disc was removed. I am 6 months post op. I had some urinary incontinence pior to the op which has now fully resolved. I was in hospital 5 days and the recovery was very painful, however, all in all it was worth it although I still have nerve pain and pins and needles in my toes. I wondered if anyone else has had this done and how they are post op? I am still not back at work and find if I overdo things I am in serious pain. Does any one know if this is the best it will get or if there is still time for further recovery?
|

replied April 7th, 2010
Back pain and only 30yrs old.
Hi guys,

Im only 30 and Im considering having surgery at l5,s1. Bit worried Im making the wrong decision. Ive had the pain for 10 months and do not want to jump the gun but it does not seem to want to heal. Has anybody as young as me had this operation?
|

replied June 5th, 2011
I had the surgery at 34, a year ago. It was the best thing i have ever done for myself. y quality iof life has returned and i can do all the things i did before the pain. I am more cautious of things i do now but i would do it again if i had to.
|

replied April 7th, 2010
Hi

I am 38, so not that much older than you, had pain for roughly the same amount of time as you and I had no improvement with the usual, physio, acupuncture, rest, pain killers etc. I am glad that I had the surgery as the pain is more manageable now but don''t have too high hopes as I am 6months post op and not cured. It depends on how bad the pain is at present, is it manageable? Some people have a complete recovery, some about 50% revocery or so and some no benefit at all. Best of luck with your decision.
|

replied April 16th, 2010
I''m 27 and just had a discectomy at L5/S1 a little over 2 weeks ago. I was suffering for about 5 months and had the same question, aren''t I too young for this? I tried all of the conservative approaches, including 3 steroid injections, pt, and just pain management and it wasn''t going away. I wanted to get my life back. These forums always scared me away from surgery, but so far I''m so glad I did it. The doctor told me that a lot of times this type of injury doesn''t happen from an "incident", it could be genetic or day-to-day wear and tear, which must have been my case. I was walking the night of the surgery (outpatient) and walking through my neighborhood the 2nd day. I am trying to be super conservative, but I''m able to do more and more and feel better every day! Good luck with your decision! You''re too young to let this keep you from living your life...
|

replied April 27th, 2010
I''m 28 and developed a herniated disc whilst pregnant last year. I have always had back problems, and I was expecting something to blow out on me eventually, I was just shocked it happened while I was being so careful with pregnancy etc. I couldn''t take any pain meds while pregnant, and couldn''t actually get it formally diagnosed so waited out the 5 months left in agony and when the baby was born had it all confirmed. We all hoped it would diminish once I''d given birth, with the reduction of relaxation hormones after the 6 week mark, but it got steadily worse, I was on loads of pain meds, and at it''s worst I was unable to move at all, my husband had to carry me to and from the room to use the bathroom and it was all I could do to lie in a foetal position and try not to cry. I was taken to hospital and pumped full of pain killers, I can''t take anti-inflammatories or codiene, so the only option left was endone and valium, so spent weeks in a haze before. I was called up for surgery a few weeks after that and I had the surgery Dec 09.

Since then I have had a varied recovery. I had nerve compression and a ''significant'' prolapse. After the surgery I felt a lot better, at 6 weeks post op I felt on top of the world. Started some gentle exercise and Week 7 it all came crashing down again. It''s now almost 4 months post op and i have had at least 3 relapses into severe pain in that time. Each time I get to a point where I almost feel normal and then it just goes back to square one and I am in almost as much pain as I was pre-op. Since the last episode, I started working with a physio over this last month and I am recovering better this time.A lthough she has recommended just general moving around the house, no walking, no lifting, no bending, no exercise like bike riding/pilates/swimming just yet, which is very frustrating! But if it''ll make it better in the long run it''ll be worth it.

One MAJOR piece of advice I can offer though, a physio before my surgery told me that when I was getting nerve pain, I had to try and redirect it back to my back. If I can bring the pain out of my leg and into my back at the source instead of letting it travel, it actually helps recovery a lot. I actually thought that making the pain go to my back was doing damage, but it does the opposite, and I felt better and was able to cope with a lot more day to day activities. I still do this now and find that although I am leaning over in awkard looking positions for short periods of time I am able to function and the nerve pain does not increase to a point where Ican''t tolerate it. So give it a go and see if it helps you too.
|

replied September 3rd, 2011
hi can you tell me how you were told to try and redirect pain back to back? hoping this will help for terrible nerve,burning pain in leg 17 weeks after microdisectomy
|

replied May 2nd, 2010
Discectomy on April 29, 2010
Howdy all. My L5S1 Discectomy was on April 29th and 3 days out I am feeling pretty good. I live on a hill and have been able to walk a half block down and back with minor difficulty. I still have neural tension signs in my right leg on occasion, but much less than prior to the surgery. The surgery sight is still tender to touch, but applying ice packs over the last day has helped this. I''m going to start abdominal bracing drills tomorrow and some simple flexibility work around my core. I practice and teach physical therapy and was really resistant to any type of back surgery. Well, it''s working out great so far. I''ll keep posting as the recovery progresses. I see my surgeon in 2 weeks. Steve
|

replied May 4th, 2010
Day 4 of my Disectomy
Today was the best day yet! I had several visitors to the house starting at 9 this morning. They came with arms full, including IHOP, Fruit and PF Changs. They know that I am not to drive or ride in a car for 2 weeks, so they are loading me up with goodies. If I don''t do more exercise or pace myself with the food, i''ll end up 10lbs or more overweight before you know it!

Took advantage of the company and had them accompany me as I went for two walks, one that is about 200 yards (fair grade) and the second about 400 yards mostly uphill. Added the mcKenzie exercises on my stomach to elbows and Williams Flexion exercises. Mild abdominal bracing with neutral arm swing, leg swing and arm/leg swing. Again, lots of icing today.

I''ve experienced a pretty significant decrease in radicular pain today. Stairs were easier and i didn''t need a cane for my walks. I made a conscious decision to stop laying down so much because my whole back was starting to become stiff. My pain was initially in my right buttock and extended to my heel. Now most of it continues to be around the surgical site...in the back! All in all, day 4 was great. I''ll be back soon!
|

User Profile
replied July 27th, 2010
Re: Back pain and only 30yrs old.
garryc wrote:
Hi guys,

Im only 30 and Im considering having surgery at l5,s1. Bit worried Im making the wrong decision. Ive had the pain for 10 months and do not want to jump the gun but it does not seem to want to heal. Has anybody as young as me had this operation?
Hi, I had L5 S1 done at the age of 29 this was in 2003, also had left L5/L4 age 35 last yr in march. This happened in the UK. Please make sure you have tried eveything 1st, It works for most people but not all. Hope yrs goes well. please keep in touch appart from you not heard of any other young ones. luvcomp
|

replied August 8th, 2010
long term discectomy results
Hello, I would like to hear from some long term post op discetomy experiences. Although, everyones experiences are helpful and much appreciated as this is a very confusing and excruciating decision, I am most worried about what the long term effects are. I am 29 year old female with a small herniation at L5 S1 that is causing me to consider surgery (yes that is how bad it is). I'd like to hear from someone who has been post op for longer than 5 years, please respond if you have something to add or know of something I should know. Thank you
|