Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Taste And Smell Problems After Major Surgery.

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
My husband had colon surgery and was in the hospital 7 days. Since we have been home he can't smell correctly and nothing tastes right to him. He is loosing weight and I was wondering if it could be a result from the anesthesia or morphine or antibiotics he was given in the hospital. I hope someone can answer my very long question.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 28th, 2006
After My Surgery
In 1985/86 I had both hips replaced and the hardest problem was first having a bowl movement and second was any desire at all to eat (one doesn't happen without the other!) try simple foods, jello, peanut butter foods that are bland; I drank 7up and other simple liquids like there was no tomorrow and had to force myself to eat but with time the desire for all my favorites came back; a couple of weeks. I hope this helps I will keep you folks in my prayers!
|

replied November 2nd, 2010
My husband had major surgery and now everything around him smells bad and he can't eat food makes him feel like he is ready to vomit. Just got home after a week in the hospital. He is diabetic and to keep his strength up he has to eat. He found out to eat maybe a bite of food he has to hold his nose and he can take a bite or two.

What can I do.

Thank you
|

replied November 8th, 2011
Altered Taste and Smell after Anesthesia

http://journals.lww.com/anesthesiology/ful ltext/1995/09000/altered_taste_and_smell_a fter_anesthesia__cause.42.aspx

My mother loss much of her taste and smell about six years ago following abdominal surgery (Oophorectomy). I'm still looking for 'the cure', but time and exercise seem to be her best remedy...
|