Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Twins??

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
Hey you guys! First I just want to give you all a little update. I have my first prenatal appointment on september 14th, i'll be almost 10 weeks then. When I called to make the appointment I asked to speak to the mid-wife. I asked her if my having ovarian cysts would harm my baby and she said "no they will not bother your pregnancy, but i'm very suprised that you got pregnant unplanned because the cysts make it very difficult for women to get pregnant in most cases." i'm still in shock that I got pregnant because all the doctors have told me that! Anyways... So yeah that's about all the new stuff (not much lol!)

anyways, i'm a little worried that I could be pregnant with twins. I realize that i'm getting a little ahead of myself... But it's still on my mind so I can't help it! The reason i'm feeling this way is because my husbands dad is a twin and the positives on both the pregnancy tests I took came up very quickly (in about 5-10 seconds when it said atleast 60 seconds in most cases). Is it true that when you are pregnant with multiple babies, you have more hcg in your body? That would make sence to me. If anyone can give me any info on knowing if you are pregnant with twins, that woud be great. Oh, and when will the doctor be able to tell me if I am or not (pregnant with twins)? Thanks a bunch!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 25th, 2006
Experienced User
I had ovarian cysts and I had gotten pregnant 2 times know with them the doctor told me if I keep getting the dope shot I would not be able to have any more kids so far I have gotten pregnant 2 times know but this is going to be my last baby 4 kids are just right for me..And with the twin thing my dads a twin and my dh has twins on his side and I did not ended up with any twins it's just a chance that it can happen if your lucky.. I wish you the best and that your appointment goes good..Good luck

mary due in 3w3d
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
If the fathers family has twins you will not be affected...

In order to have twin it must be on the mothers side, you must have the ability to produce two eggs whici is pased on by mothers genetics and not the fathers. Now I will admit other reason for twins is fertility drugs and the one in a million thing but I highly doubt it, if a pregnancy test came out positive possibly could be that your hcg level was higher/easier to pick up.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Identical twins are completely random &aren't genetic.
Fraternal twins, however, are genetic. But only from the mothers side.

&.If your doctor uses a doppler to try to detect the heartbeat at your appointment, he/she'll be able to hear if there are two fetal heartbeats.
|

replied August 26th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
I found out I was having twins at my first appt when I was 9 weeks the doc said dont worry if we dont see anything its still kinda early then he goes oh were u hoping for one or two.
|

replied August 28th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Re: Twins??
pure_love wrote:
hey you guys! First I just want to give you all a little update. I have my first prenatal appointment on september 14th, i'll be almost 10 weeks then. When I called to make the appointment I asked to speak to the mid-wife. I asked her if my having ovarian cysts would harm my baby and she said "no they will not bother your pregnancy, but i'm very suprised that you got pregnant unplanned because the cysts make it very difficult for women to get pregnant in most cases." i'm still in shock that I got pregnant because all the doctors have told me that! Anyways... So yeah that's about all the new stuff (not much lol!)

anyways, i'm a little worried that I could be pregnant with twins. I realize that i'm getting a little ahead of myself... But it's still on my mind so I can't help it! The reason i'm feeling this way is because my husbands dad is a twin and the positives on both the pregnancy tests I took came up very quickly (in about 5-10 seconds when it said atleast 60 seconds in most cases). Is it true that when you are pregnant with multiple babies, you have more hcg in your body? That would make sence to me. If anyone can give me any info on knowing if you are pregnant with twins, that woud be great. Oh, and when will the doctor be able to tell me if I am or not (pregnant with twins)? Thanks a bunch!

my tests came up within 5-15 seconds both times and I tested 3 days before a missed period and ium carrying a single baby. That means nothing at that point .....Your dr probably will try to find a heatbeat and ask him to make sure there isnt two somehwere there. I just dont get why you would assume twins?
|

replied August 28th, 2006
Thank you all for the advice! It's funny... Just before I logged on and read this... I read that the chances of a women having twins comes from her and not the father. Lol! Thats nice to know! I guess i'm just worried about everything. I think i'll feel better after my first appointment. Thank you all agian and good luck!
|