Medical Questions > Cancer > Cervical Cancer and Ovarian Cancer Forum

Could I Have Ovarian Cancer?

Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....
I am scared out of my wits.

A few weeks ago I had a ct scan done due to an abdominal mass I felt near my spleen.

When I got the results there was no mention of that mass being detected, however I do have 2 cysts on my right ovary about 2 inches by 1 inch for each of them.

I am currently constipated, gassy, tired, and finding more masses/lumps. I have the same one by my spleen, one around my liver area, one to the left of my navel, and a lump in my right breast. They are all painful but not consistantly. It's like they flair up and hurt sometimes, then at other times I hardly know they are there.

Both of my ovaries hurt, my lower back hurts, and I am feeling pressure. As of tonight I am also spotting a bit, but my period may be due. I am not sure as I just started birth control 1 month ago and haven't developed a real pattern yet.

My gyno assured me that I didn't have ovarian cancer, just based on the ct scan, my age, and no family history. She refuses to do a ca-125 test. I have an appt sept 15th with another gyno, I am hoping this one with investigate further.

I went 8 years without a menstrual cycle, was diagnosed with poly cystic ovarian syndrome, and have only had 1 pap in my life. My lack of cycles was due to an event that happened to me when I was around 12. Someone stuck an object inside of my vagina, and it remained there until I was 20 years old. I was too scared to get help or tell.

Surgery was done to remove the object, it gave me blood poisioning and my organs began to shut down. I had about a week to live had I not went in to have surgery they told me.

Now with these cysts, and these painful masses I am finding needless to say I am frightened. I should have stayed on top of things once that object was removed however I did not.

I am 24 years old, 5'11 tall, and 350lbs. I am wondering if my masses would have been hard to detect on the ct scan because of my weight. I figure though that they would have been able to see my lymph nodes, and if I had cancer there would have been an abnormality. There was also no mention of abdominal fluid or anything. The scan was abdominal, and pelvic.

So am I ok? A worry wort, or what? Someone please help. My biggest fear is that I do have ovarian cancer, that it has spread all over, and I am in the later stages. I would imagine that I would feel much worse however if that were the case, but I don't know.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 1st, 2006
Experienced User
From what i've read, a ca-125 isn't performed on menstruating women because it's going to come out elevated because of hormone levels. Ca-125 is normally done on post-menopausal women.
|
Did you find this post helpful?