Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Something Every Woman Should Read

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
I made a post a few months ago in both this forum and the skin disorders forum contemplating the replication of cold sores being related to birth control seeing as I started getting them severely.. And I found interesting information for any other sufferers out there! :) :shock:

i've suffered from coldsores since I was a child, but now that i'm 20 i'm still finding it hard to get rid of them.

Last october I started birth control, and my "2-3 a year" outbreak turned to "5-6 a month"

i was curious thinking maybe it's related, and made a post asking this a while ago.. Well..

It is!

If you're on oral contraceptives, they can deplete the necessary "b" vitanmins -- also known as the stress vitamins! If you don't already take a daily multiple, take one!

Also, since march of this year I started taking l-lysine, an amino acid that helps prevent coldsores by "outnumbering" the amount of arginine (another amino acid) that helps the replication of coldsores. L-lysine is not made in the body.

Not not not.

But it's found in things such as eggs, cheese, milk, yogurt, and meat.

Arginine is found in caffeine, chocolate, whole wheat bread, nuts, peanutbutter products, raisins, beets, oatmeal and rice!

(come on ladies, you know when you're stressed you reach for the peanutbutter cups, the soda, etc.. I know I do!)

by taking the l-lysine, you help outnumber the amount of arginine in your body.. And although not "proven" by the fda i've only gotten one cold sore since march!

Hope this info helps!

Also, men can take lysine too. But most men aren't on oral contraceptives so can't help there =p
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper averiex
|

replied August 23rd, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Another way to stop cold sores is a simple prescription for zovirax..

You can take generic zovirax everyday and hardly ever have an outbreak again ..

I have genital herpes, I take acyclovir(generic zovirax) every day..15$ a month...

Cold sores can spread to genitals, so it may always be a good idea to get on suppressive therapy.
|

replied August 23rd, 2006
Experienced User
I take zovirax in the form of an ointment. $134 off health insurance, $30 on health insurance. Works great and it's worth the co-pay.

Although zovirax (ac) is great, it can also interfere with medications. My newest birth control, and many others, kariva, interact with certain medications used for hiv and aids. Zovirax is one of those medications supplied and therefore can cause some side affects. It's why I like getting my lysine and eating healthier!
|

replied August 24th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
15$ is the cash price at costco pharmacy =) my health insurance only covers a certain percentage every year, so with something as cheap as that, I just pay without insurance..
|

replied July 30th, 2013
L-lysine doesn't interact with the birth control pills and make it less effective, correct?
|