Medical Questions > Parenting > Adoption Forum

Homestudies - adoption through the state

User Profile
We did our homestudy through caring choices. Cost of $1,500 and it took 3 mths to be approved and signed by the judge. We chose not to do it with the sate because they like to drag their feet...Lol. But we are doing the fostercare classes now so that we can adopt through the state. I

i was wondering who other went through...The cost and length of time it took for you? Have you already been able to adopt or are still looking?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 20th, 2006
Well I haven't personally. But my parents became foster parents 5 years ago. They had to do a lot of training initially (through the state) then after that I believe it's 15-25 hours a year to keep your fostering liscense current. Anyway they were just finishing up their training in august '01. On oct 4 2001 we got our first foster boy and had him for a year. He wasn't eligible for adoption and went home. In december 01 we were called to pick up a baby girl from the hospital. We adopted her in september 2003. We are now adopting an 18 month old boy and a 5 month old girl who are sibling and their adoption will be complete in october.
We live in pa. At our agency here they got the training for free unless there was some type of training material they had to pay for. We got the homestudy from the state too and yes they do take a long time to get out here and then to complete the paperwork. But even still we have to have another homestudy once a year. And the questions on ours were ridiculous things like. Do you have a sink, do you have running water, is there at least one toilet in your home.
Now I don't know specifics about the training classes but I can find out from my mother tomorrow and get back to you.
Hope my rambling helped a little
jesse
|

replied August 21st, 2006
I had heard of state taking up to a year to complete a homestudy which is why we choose to do private. Now that we have to approved and signed papers we just took it to the state and we don't have to do anther one as here in tn its every 2 years or unless there is a job change or move before then. We looking forward to finishing the classes and getting our first placement. Neither of us can wait to have a child in the house....We're doing newborn to age 3-4. Those were the ages they would allow as we are "only26". We always wanted children ....Never had any doubt. Finding out neither one of us were able to crushed us...We have been looking into adoption for a few years now.....Been connected to several first moms and they either turned out to be huge scammers or turned into a no contact about 3 mths before the due date. We've given on on doing a private adoption open or closed and are now going through the state.

I know there are tons of posts in the ttc forum....I wonder if they have even given adoption a thought. To me any child that is brought into the home would be loved and cherished no matter what sex or color.

Anyways I just wanted to know about others homestudies and to compare notes. I know what you mean about stupid questions you had to answer. There were about 8 questionnaires we each had to do with about 3-4 pages each. But what got us were the questions about how you felt your partner was in bed....What do you like that they do...What do you wish they would do more of. That was just too much info for me.....I can handle the questions about money and bills and stuff like that...But why do they need to know what you like in bed?

But we pushed on and got it all done and approved thank goodness.
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Ok why is it saying i'm guest and not my name?
|

Sometimes I get signed in as a guest too.
Anyway you get more of those kind of questions when you try to adopt and then there was this one paper where they asked you to imagine your dream child and answer questions about them, really strange.
I know what you mean about people trying to conceive. My mom did infertility treatments for 2 years. Then my aunt suggested we try fostering. All three of my siblings are biracial. We have no problem with it,. But my step fathers family is so racsist they have since stopped speaking to us and no longer invite us to family functions. His mother thinks that it is quote "disgusting to let that little boy carry on our good family name." but then they also never liked me becausei'm not biologically their grandchild. I'll never understand some peoplesw
we also put down infant to 3 years old. But we ended up getting kids as old as 8. For emergency placemets and what not. None of them ever came up for adoption though. Sweet kids all of them.
|

replied October 23rd, 2007
Questions On Adoption Applications
[quote="Anonymous"] Anyways I just wanted to know about others homestudies and to compare notes. I know what you mean about stupid questions you had to answer. There were about 8 questionnaires we each had to do with about 3-4 pages each. But what got us were the questions about how you felt your partner was in bed....What do you like that they do...What do you wish they would do more of. That was just too much info for me.....I can handle the questions about money and bills and stuff like that...But why do they need to know what you like in bed?

quote]

I just became a member and saw this post. On what paperwork do they ask these questions? I am in washington state and we have completed all the classes, picked up and filled out the application and personal info packets and there was no questions on there about our sexual life, there was a question about our past relationships but nothing like what you had.
we are going through the state to adopt and all of our paperwork has been from them. Is there more paperwork we will have to fill out after the homestudy?
what state are you from?

Thanks
|

User Profile
replied October 24th, 2007
Experienced User
we went through a private agency instead of the state as we had heard that it takes longer to get it done through the state. The place we used is called careing choices.
|

replied November 7th, 2007
i also am going thru the state. when i started i wanted to be adoptive or legal risk(parent rights gone) parent but has been 3 years and nothing yet. we were looking for a baby 0-3. we were called once to pick up a baby from the hospital but then was called back that they gave the baby to someone else. we were crushed. some times i think that it was not ment for me to have another child(have two boys already, want a little girl now. had a emergency hysterectomy) some times it is so over whelming i cant do anything but cry.
|

User Profile
replied November 8th, 2007
Experienced User
Hey I understand completely, but our cases are very different. I can't get preg. and have never been preg. SO the only kids that we had in our home were my friends when we babysat. Sure we would love to have a newborn but it is hardly ever that they come open for adption. And we aren't picky about which sex or race of the kids we hope to get. But because of our age we were put down for 0-6 years and we don't care. We have waited for so long to add to our family that we were just happy that it would finally come true.
|
Quick Reply