Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Lupus Forum

Plaquenil And Weight Gain? (Page 1)

Must Read
Learn the basics about autoimmune disorders, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing an autoimmune disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for autoimmune disorders....
Is there a link??? I have gained about 25 lbs since I started taking plaquenil, have tried every diet under the sun + excersize and I cannot get the weight off!!!! Does plaquenil cause weight gain? If so what can I do to get it off!! I can't stand it....(i have sle)
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper greeneyedraven
|

replied September 1st, 2006
Plaquenil
I have been on plquenil since january 2005 and I have actually lost weight. Are you on any other meds that could be contributing to the weight gain? I know that many antidepressants cause weight gain. I was on prozac years ago and gained over 30lbs and it has taken me a long time to get it off.
|

replied January 29th, 2007
Re: Plaquenil
I have been on plaquenil from june and it is great! It gives me so much energy. I am on prednosin and because of that I want to eat all the time but I have the energy to exercise.
|

replied March 12th, 2007
First i'de like to say HI,,,,I'm a new member and new to Lupus as well.To answer your qhestion .....i've been on pllaqhenil for 2 months now and i gained a good 10 to 15 pounds Very Happy ,,so i guess it does in some ppl ,,Your Docter might be able to answer better though,
|

replied April 20th, 2009
weight gain and Lupus?
As of today, 04/19/09 I have gained 40lbs since being on plaquenil--I started taking it in 04/08 after being diagnoised with an autoimmune disease leaning toward lupus.
|

replied June 16th, 2009
weight gain
OMG I am so glad to see you one here with weight gains , not that I am glad you all are gaining but and so glad to know I am not alone! I am on plaquenil , sulfasalazine and arava. I have gained (over 2 years) 30 pounds, I went off them for 2 months , lost 8 pounds in 4 weeks , went back on and WHAM up 9 pounds.... now what? thanks
|

replied February 27th, 2013
I had the same thing happen to me! I gained 20 lbs. over 8 months. I ran out of my script and forgot to call the doctor right away for a refill. Well, I felt fine and figured I would just wait until my next appt. I lost 2 lbs. in the first 2 weeks. THEN I started dieting and exercising and lost 3 lbs. in 4 weeks. Then...I hit a brick wall. I was so exhausted, I couldn't get enough sleep and stopped exercising. I still lost 2 lbs. over the next 2 weeks. Then I got my script filled and after 3 days of taking it I felt my clothes were tighter and was like "what the heck?" I've been taking it for a week now and I've gained a pound. I'm thinking of not taking it because I felt fine except for the exhaustion. Do you think the exhaustion will eventually go away? Also, I'm curious to know what time everyone takes their dose and if that might have anything to do with it. I take mine at night after dinner, anyone else?
|

replied November 24th, 2009
Plaquenil weight gain turning us into Lotto Balls?
I've been on Plaquenil since March 23, 2009 and have gained 28 pounds. At first I thought it was because I was so tired and with all the crazy schedules in the house, I rarely see the gym except maybe once a week. But I was eating hardly anything because of the fatigue and nausea. Doctors said I was eating too much (GRRRRRR)but friends were getting worried because I was eating so little. My waist feels like I'm wearing a Michelin tire and wonder if Plaquenil causes Adrenal Fatigue.
|

replied December 9th, 2009
I have RA and have been on Plaquenil for a couple years now and have gained about 35 pounds. Nothing in my diet or exercise routine changed, and I've always had a very fast metabolism. So I'm pretty sure it's the medicine. I am going to ask my doctor about it this week.
|

replied December 9th, 2009
plaquenil weight gain
Well I have no idea what my body is doing anymore. My symptoms surfaced again about 6 months after having a baby. I was told it was postpartum depression, then anxiety, and my whole world felt upside down. I couldn't sleep. I would drag myself thru the day, feel better in the evening and then couldn't sleep. Sometimes having my heart racing. Then hit a wall where I didn't have energy at all. Was going between the bedroom and living room.

The plaquenil did make some symptoms subside but the energy never came back and can only think that if the medicine suppresses your immune system, doesn't that slow down everything else??

I have an appointment next week. so I have lots of questions. Lately I had severe abdominal pain and constant pressure on my right side, ultrasound showed a 3 cm hemangioma, a week later nothing on the CT. So think there was bleeding.

My mother has RA her whole life, recently she tried plaquenil and prednisone and having good results so far.
|

User Profile
replied December 14th, 2009
I've definitely gained more weight since I started Plaquenil along with Methotrexate maybe 10 months ago - about 20 pounds. I'm going to ask my Rheumy about it at my appt. this week. The Plaq gave me more energy in the beginning, but I'm not so sure my med combo is doing all it should these days. I think adding 20 pounds to my small frame is worse for my joints than having the Plaq, so I'm not sure what I will do. I have not had the nausea that many get from the MTX and Plaq, so I think that has something to do with the weight gain vs in those people who get sick from them.
|

replied December 15th, 2009
what?
are u sure its from the plaquenil alone? I read that steroid meds like prednisone can cause weight gain as well as suppressants such as Methotrexate and imuran. Maybe its that? I was tested positive for lupus and my doctor might wanna put me on plaquenil even though I have no symptoms of an auto-immune disease. I'm terrified about what will happen to me on plaquenil. Not just because of weight gain but because of the other horrible side effects reported. I'm a healthy person. I don't wanna take something that will make me feel sick and fat all the time.
|

replied November 16th, 2011
Plaquenil and Methotrexate
I took plaquinil and Methotrexate for years. I have a Undetermined Mixed Connective Tissue Disease, but whatever it is, it is bad! Every Organ System is effected. I ALSO HAVE RA. I started Plaquenil in 2003 and I am still on it. I am a nurse and worked 12 hour shifts, I also ran a lot, and worked out a lot. Then I started Methotrxate. I stayed just as skinny while taking them. My body never changed. I was 26 and about 116 lbs. With methotrexate, the only problem is nausea AND MOUTH SORES, but I believe you have to take folic acid with it and eat. If you manage your meds right, you'll be O.K. Plus, think positive. Now, steroids are the enemy! I was on high dose steroids at one point, and I blew up like a balloon. My whole face was round and big. No one recognized me. In a matter of 5 months, I gained 60-70 lbs. of water weight. As soon as I stopped them, the weight fell right off. I had to take them though. I was going blind from uveitis. HOPE THIS HELPS. It's not bad for everyone.
|

User Profile
replied December 15th, 2009
Plaquenil
Hueyork - I really don't know what is causing the weight gain - MTX or Plaq or otherwise, but I will say that Plaquenil has helped me quite a bit. The only other side effect I had was hyperpigmentation on my face and I just cut my dose in half for a month and it went away. I didn't have any nausea or other side effects. All of these meds have side effects that they have to list, even if only .005% (just random number, not fact) of the people in their study have had them. I don't think your doc should put you on Plaq just b/c you are positive for ANA's. I was to understand that to be dx'd with Lupus, you have to meet 4 of the standard dx'ing guidelines to be considered to have Lupus?

Anyway, I hope they figure it out, but don't be afraid to take the meds. If you do have Lupus, or some other autoimmune disease, not taking them could be much worse. You need to stop that inflammation from injuring your organs and joints.

Take care!

Liz Smile
|

replied March 15th, 2010
plaquenil
i have been on plaquenil for over a year. haven't noticed weight gain or any other side effects also have not noticed actually feeling any better. ljb from ok
|

User Profile
replied May 14th, 2010
Plaquenil and weight gain
Hello and i'm so glad to find all these posts. I'm so depressed about my weight gain and I have no doubt in my mind it was from the plaquenil. I have gained apx. 20 lbs. or more in like 4-5 months. About 1 1/2 months ago I cut the dose from 2 pills to 1 hoping it would help. I also started having other side effects with my eyes and knew I had to lower the dose. I went to my rheumatologist 2 days ago and got on the scale and almost passed out when I saw the #'s. I knew it wasn't in my mind. My boyfriend said I'm not eating any more then I did before and yes I gained weight. It has the same side effects for as prednisone had on me, huge weight gain. It took me 2 years to get the prednisone weight off and now I have to deal with the same issue again because of the plaquenil. I just got off of it 2 days ago when I saw my Rheumatologist. I told him it was more stress on my body parts and I have a bad knee and my stomach is huge. That's where the weight went, at least most of it. Maybe everyone is different and some can tolerate the medicine well and even loose weight because they get nausea, etc. But if you take the plaquenil on an empty stomach you won't feel like eating. But if you take it on a full stomach which I did at night after dinner (and we eat late) I think your likely to gain weight. With Prednisone I gained 50 lbs. and I know what I went through to get a sexy body back. Now I don't care about getting a sexy body back, I just want the 20 some lbs. I gained off and I think it's going to take a while because I have fibromylagia along with other auto-immune and I'm not able to be as active due to severe pain. I guess I would encourage everyone to weigh the benefits and discuss this medicine thoroughly with you doctor. If you read all the information about the drug, it says for best results you will not really notice all the results for around 6 months of use of this medication if used for auto-immune. For me by then I also have a tire around my stomach that has me so depressed because I know it's going to be hard to get it down when I have severe fibromylagia. I'm sorry I ever took the medicine. Since I have taken both Prednisone and Plaquenil, for those taking both I can't imagine how much weight gain you will have but met a woman at the docs office that said she gained 50 lbs. in a short time from the meds. I told the doc if the medicine really helped me, i'd put the weight gain aside and take it but it didn't help me enough to counteract the effects of serious weight gain. My best wishes and good thoughts for everyone here. This is now 5-13-2010 and I saw posts from 2009. My question is for those that quit taking the plaquenil, did the weight come off? Bless you all and thanks.
|

User Profile
replied June 10th, 2010
Can not lose weight while on plaquenil
I tried to stop taking the plaquenil for about a month now due to my weight and the pain has quickly taken over my whole body. I'm guessing it is finally coming out of my system. I have started back just now on the plaquenil with hopes that the pain, stiffness and inflammation will subside as it was at least somewhat under control.........guess I will have to live with the weight gain. I walk 2 1/4 miles a day, 5 days a week for a year now and am not able to lose even a pound. It was not the only medication to put the weight on me but it was the last medication I was taking and could not lose anything while on it. Very depressing.
|

replied June 11th, 2010
I have SLE & Fybro and have been on plaquenil for at least five years. Have bad side effects; hairloss, dizziness, sun sensitivity, numbness, and weight gain. I did though lose over 50 lbs. a year ago and have only gained 10 lbs. back. You can lose weight, it's alot of determination (when you don't feel like it) and self discipline (when you want to pamper yourself because you dont feel well) and you have to sweat!!! ALOT. I have found depression to be the biggest battle with autoimune, tired of being tired, no one cares if you feel bad because it's all the time..etc. I just went thru the hardest part of my life...my husband left me after 25 years of marriage. My family is divided and have found at my lowest point that you either move ahead or give in. Work on yourself and gaining energy and happiness. If you cant then see about help for depression. If I find myself making excuses about everything then thats my sign that I need to go to the Gym and get focused. Dr. says none of the side effects are that bad, and without the plaqunil I feel pain, stiffness and dizziness...but when I am active and eating less calories and eating healthy...I do loose weight.
|

User Profile
replied June 17th, 2010
thanks to all of you who have responded to this, my name is angie and i am 30 yrs old been on plaquenil for over a year and have had about 20 lbs of weight put on me since i started using plaquenil. doctors say it causes weight loss, but they have clearly not been doing any more research on this medication if all of us are having the same complaints. i am in the us army and they wont waive my weight gain due to the fact that the doctors wont approve that plaquenil causes weight loss and not gain. what do i do? i am also depressed about my weight gain.
|

replied July 9th, 2010
Plaquenil and weight gain
Yes, Plaqenil has caused me to pack on the pounds as well. I eat like a bird and still am so frustrated with this extra weight.
|

replied July 22nd, 2010
Plaquenil and menstrual cycles
I have been on plaquenil for a little over two years, and at my last visit my eye doctor said he's seeing some changes that concern him. I stopped taking the Plaquenil, and will see my rheumatologist next week. I've gained a ton of weight (after being overweight already), and am concerned about taking other medications. As soon as I stopped taking the Plaquenil I started spotting. Any other women have this issue? My rheumatoid factor is in the 40s, and I have heberden's nodes, which I understand if osteoarthritis instead of rheumatoid-related. My distal finger joints are the most affected.
|

replied July 26th, 2010
I recently started Plaquenil--along with my other 'pain' meds. Have had uncomfortable bowel issues but have found that for the first time in years I am not in such pain and have more energy than I have had in years. Lots of trouble with legs spasms and cramps at night but that is a carryover that didn't go away and perhaps increased.
Surprising, I have lost weight. I believe it is because for the first time in years I feel like moving so perhaps my metabolism is up.
Prednisone and anti-depressants WILL cause weight gain!
|
Quick Reply