Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Anxiety Or Neurological Disease???

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
Where do I begin? Well first I would like to say that I am thankful to see that other people have the same concerns as me. It helps to know that people are networking and helping one another to cope with the stress and anxiety.

My issue is that I am a constant worrier. I find myself worrying about something or the other almost all of the time. But what have me concerned are the symptoms that I have begun to suffer from. I first noticed that I was having tension headaches that feel like someone has tied a band around my head and is just squeezing. Then I noticed the tension in my neck and shoulders. Because I am a worrier by nature I started to focus almost 24/7 (no exaggeration) on this and then I began to have great fatigue in my body. I went to my doctor and they did the battery of blood work and it came back fine. But since I was concerned that it was something not detected on a blood test like something neurological (like ms) I was not comforted.

I continued to have the fatigue and headaches and got so worried one night when I felt pins and needles in different places that I rushed to the emergency room and they did a cat scan of my head and it came back normal. This still didn’t help, because the sites I researched said that cat scans aren’t as good at detecting neurological diseases and you need an mri. I then began to have nightmares, restless sleep, constant butterflies in my stomach, easily startled, and the scariest thing is the muscle tension I feel in my forearms and calves upon waking. I have been to the doctors again and they gave me a neurological exam and said that I am normal and no signs, but I am saying isn’t muscle fatigue, and tension in your arms and legs sign enough?

My question is can anxiety truly cause these types of symptoms? Not talking palpitations of the heart of shortness of breath. I am talking about chronic tension headaches, tingling, constant stomach butterflies, great fatigue, and sleeplessness, tension in forearm and calf muscles. I appreciate everyone’s input and advice and look forward to your responses.

Adam
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 18th, 2006
Experienced User
I used to have that all the time. Prettu much all those symptoms you are having. My Dr. Said it was anxeity. He told me that I have gad. Generailized anxeity disorder. He just gave me medicines. Talk to your Dr. About that
|

Thanks sherry I appreciate the quick response. I did read a bit on gad and I can certainly see all of the symptoms in myself. I guess it's just hard to believe that anxiety can wreak havoc on your body like this!
I will discuss gad with my doctor and see what can be done.

I really thank you for the response. I am a ball of nerves at this point.

By the way what meds did he give you and how have they worked out for you?

Thanks,

adam
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Well at first he put me on buspar. That really sucked being on that. I couldn't even get out of bed on that. Then he prescribe paxil. I never took that. For some reason I won't take medicines because of the side effects. I worry to much. But i've learned to control my anxeity attacks. I first got them when I was 16. I thought I was having a heart attack or something. What brought them on was seeing my grandma die. I wasn't even close to her, barely talked to her. I'm now 25, and I still get them. They are not like they used to be. I still get headaches, sick feeling. Well I hope everything goes good for you, and you get them under control. Cuz I been there, and it sucks to think somethings wrong with you, or that your dying. I used to think that all the time. If you need someone to talk to let me know.

:d sherry
|

Thanks again for the reply. Yeah its deep. I was at dinner tonite and it seems like the muscles in my arm just seized up! Of course I panicked and that made things worse. I am all jittery and of course still focussing on these symptoms which is making life more miserable. Now my arm feels like it would after you hit your "funnybone" I am trying to keep exercising it. I really don't know what to do.

Adam
|

User Profile
replied August 19th, 2006
Experienced User
Well, you should make an app. With your Dr. And talk to him about it. There are good meds out there that actually do work. Just keep trying to you find the right one good luck
|

replied August 19th, 2006
I saw a list of physical symptoms for anxiety and gad, this is amazing. It is so hard for me to believe anxiety and stress can do all this!

Headaches

tachycardia - racing pulse due to high adrenaline.

Fatigue, weakness, "rubbery" legs.

Tremor or trembling of arm, leg, or whole body (outside or inside)

twitching, jerking, or cramping of a leg muscle - cramping may be just calcium or magnesium deficiency

waking after 2-3 hrs sleep

tinnitus - ringing in the ear, due to high insulin in about 70 % of tinnitus cases.

Abnormal weight - too high or too low.

Crawling sensations on skin

blurred vision

smothering spells - gasping for breath

joint pains

migrating numbness

difficulty swallowing

neck and back pains

bodyaches and myalgias

lack of balance, etc.

Not saying they are not symptoms of other things but I found it amazing that anxiety can do so much damage to the body.
|

replied August 23rd, 2006
My doctor prescribed zoloft for me yesterday. He started me off on 25mgs and wants to see how that works for a week then he said he would up it to 50 if necessary. Just looking to hear some experiences out there with zoloft before starting.
|

replied August 28th, 2006
Anxiety
I have been going through the same things. I had costochondritis which I convinced myself was my heart and the worrying started. It has been 2 months and the chest is fine now, but I am left with the symptoms of the worrying like weak legs, calf pain, twiching at night and terribvle sleep. It is as if I just get to fall asleep and my nervous system wont let me. The twitching and tingling feeling is only at night when I try to sleep. I dont loose balance or have visual problems but have taken a look at a lot of things that may be causing me the weird feelings. I think I am going to talk to a professional because I feel its anxiety from the chest thing!
|

replied August 1st, 2009
Well, I have same symptoms.
I have same symptoms that you mentioned. Right now I have butterflies. In the morning when I wake up, it's a disaster, like I can't do anything (totally dead inside), then it kind of improves as time passes by. It started after some problems at work, and after I quit job and had nervous breakdown. Things have improved but now I'm stuck with this anxiety and depression. I was able to fix anxiety and depression one time in a matter of seconds (I remember at that time I had calf spasms, and I could feel hormones in my body). Let me know if you are still active on this forum, so I can explain how I did it. It is related with suppresed emotions and it has a lot to do with stomach (actually it's on this relation, stomach, back of throat, and sinuses, it's all connected).
|

replied August 11th, 2009
Gosh Ive had weak legs with tingling and numbness on and off for 10 years now.Im 45 now.Went for 3 mri's because I was convinced it was MS.All obviosly came back neg.Have a lot of Anxiety in my family.My poor Mom has it so bad.She suffers everyday.They keep changing her meds.Thats why I dont want to take anything.So tired of it.I can see why people get depressed as a result of anxiety.
|

replied October 31st, 2009
radiation sickness
I had the same symptoms, anxiety, sleeplessness, stomach butterflies (like acid reflux) -- I found it was electromagnetic sensitivity -- I was reacting to my cell phone -- I got tingling in my head from it -- and wifi wireless networks. I know, I know, it sounds crazy -- but it really affected my and once I turned off my wifi and stopped using my cell and cordless phone - I began to feel better.
|

replied September 21st, 2010
Phillypoet
Phillypoet are you still active on this forum?
|

replied May 19th, 2013
Hey I too wonder about having some kind of neurological disorder it's all normal when u have anxiety sometimes we cope by telling ourselves its physical not physcolgical I developed an anxiety disorder called depersonalization disorder and was convinced it was something physical I meant he aches and pains they were real the heart racig for no reason was real the numbness I felt in my body was real and it made me mad made me feel like people weren't listening to me ad just pinning everything on anxiety felt alone and isolated myself for many months til I sai hey u know this is anxiety and as soon as I learned to accept that as hard as it was the sooner I got better I even completely recovered from my depersonalization disorder and all my fears went away as soon as I realized. Hey if they dot care why should I
|