Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Getting Induced- 39 1/2 Weeks

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
User Profile
I am getting induced on tuesday and I am not quite sure what to expect. I am 2cm dilated but my cervix has not thinned out. My doctor tried "stripping" my membranes but could barely reach my cervix because it was still so high up! The only reason I am getting induced is because my husband is home for 2 weeks...Then he has to go back on deployment. Anyways, I would love to hear anybody's experience on getting induced so I might have an idea of what to expect. Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Jen UH biOtch
|

replied August 17th, 2006
Experienced User
Inducing
Hi :) first, I want to wish you the best of luck with the induction!! I am sure everything will be ok :)

i was induced with 2 out of the 3 of my children. With my oldest (she's now 13) my labor was not progressing so my dr broke my water and gave me meds. For me, the pain came almost immediately! Unfortunetly, the pain was pretty bad. It made the contractions harder and more uncomfortable. I ended up getting an epidural. With my 2nd (she's almost 12) I had her natural because the nurse said I wasnt in labor..I delivered a half hr later!! With my last, (my son) I was induced also. My water had broken around 10 am, by 10pm my labor was not going further so they gave me the option of being induced..I said, go for it!! They gave me some meds and my contractions became harder almost immediately. They were not as bad as my first, though! I ended up having another epi for the pain. They gave me the petocin at midnight and I delivered him at 432am. The contractions can get and be more painful then not being induced, but it will definetly speed up the delivery process. Hope this helps! Good luck and congrats :)

jeannine
|

replied August 18th, 2006
Experienced User
Hey.. !! I got induced and here is my story.. !! Probally not the best to tell but this is what happend.

I think it was around 36 or 37 weeks I was 1 cm dilated then a few weeks later probally around 38 or 40 weeks I got stuck at 3 cm. My doctor said at my 39 week check up that if I didnt go into labor then the next week after she got back from her vacation we would induce. My heart flutterded cause I was so ready. I wanted the experience of going into labor.. And doing it the " old fashioned " way with no drugs... But... That didnt happen.

My doctor stripped my membranes on 2 seprate occasions.. And that didnt help at all.. Other hurting alot it was pointless. Well the days went by and then 2 days before my induction I went and just filled out the paper work for it. Got my wrist bands and everything. Looked at the hospital checked everything out.. And they gave me a quick run threw of how things world go.

Then the night before my induction I could not sleep at all.. I was so nervous.. " then " I thought it was going to happen .. I started getting contractions !!! Just to my luck though.. They stopped and I finally dozed off about 5am. I woke up 2 hours later and was off to the hospital.
I had it set in my mind that I was going to do this all natural with no drugs and I was going to have a vaginal birth. It was planned in my head with a birthing plan written on paper too !!

Well we got to the hospital ( me, my mom , and my best friend ) my sister came about 20 minutes later. I was brought to my room, put on my robe and layed down. Right away they started the pitocin and I got a few light contractions but it wasn't much. About 10 minutes my doctor walked in checked my cervix then broke my water. God when they check your cervix it litterally feels like they are trying to pull your brain out threw your cooch...Lol. Well I started getting really srtrong contractions and I went drug free for about 4 hours... Then I had to get the epidural cause I litterally felt like I was going to die. My son was stuck in the birth canal so they had to put the little monitor on his head... Poor thing he had a mark there for weeks. Well another 2 or 3 hours passed and then his heart rate and movement started to decrease rapidly. They kept having to turn the pit. ( pitocin ) off cause he wasnt tolerating it. Finally my doctor was like we will try it one more time and if nothing happens we will have to do an emergency c- section becuase we are scared about the baby and the risk of infection cause she had broken my water already. O was 41 weeks too it was past time for that knuckle head to get out. She checked my cervix again and I was stuck at 5. I had been 5 cm since around 9 30 am. Well she tried the pit. Again and no luck. Before she told me anything she told my mom to go get her scrubs on and get ready. This is the part I got so nervous. They gave me stronger medicine.. And then I kinda went all goo goo gaa gaa cause I was so out of it. I remeber shaking.. " alot " uncontrolably.. I was so scared. The got me all set up.. Called my mom in and I just waited untill my doctor would say she was starting. Without hearing anything I asked my mom if they had started yet and she was like jen. Her hand is in your stomach the baby is almost here. I was like " oh... Umm ok thanx for that warning" then the nurse who was standing next to me said... Your going to feel preasure in your chest... And it felt like my whole chest and stomache gave in.. Then I herd the suctioning and they put my baby boy over the sheet !!! I wanted to cry.. ( I did cry.. Lol ) he looked so much like his daddy. ( sperm donor... Ugk ) but he was adorable.. And honestly from that point on I belive in love at first sight.. Cause it's the most amazing feeling in the world. He was 8 pounds 9 oz. And 20 inches long. I cant belive I held something that big in my stomache.
The reason that I had so many problems though was just that. He was to big.. His shoulders were so broad that my doctor said he would have " never " come threw the birth canal completley. Also his cord was wrapped around his leg 2 times. So if I would have pushed... He would have just gotten pulled back.

I hope your experience goes alot smoother... !! && I wish you all the luck in the world. Let us know what happens.. Sorry if this is really long to.. But im not sure I ever typed in detail to everyone my birth story so here it is !!! Lol
- jen -
|

replied May 16th, 2012
I love this story. Im getting induced in the morining in i like reading other people exsperiences.
the true ones in ur's is just that.
|

replied May 16th, 2012
I love this story. Im getting induced in the morining in i like reading other people exsperiences.
the true ones in ur's is just that.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
I was induced, and my cervix was high as well. They put me on pitocin from 5am to 4:30pm with no changes, took me off so I could eat and sleep, then turned it back on at 1am. Things picked up immediately, I progressed really fast, and I had my daughter at 9:50am.

My first induction day was uncomfortable but not painful at all. And my pain tolerance is super low, so that's saying a lot! Second day hurt like hell though :(

good luck, hon! I'm sure everything will be just fine!
|

User Profile
Supporter
Good luck tuesday!!
|

Especially eHealthy
I had an induction so my hubby could be there too (hes I nthe navy) but I had a stupid doctor who wanted to leave for vacation so after 24hrs of pitocin and nothing happening she said I could have an elective c-section or go home and I didnt want my hubbys visit to be for no reason so I had a c-section. But I did have a sucessful vaginal delivery a year later with liam.
|

User Profile
replied August 19th, 2006
Experienced User
Thanks everyone for your stories and advice! It sounds like getting an induction may make labor twice as long or not even work. Yikes! I don't think I am going to sleep very well monday night.......
|

Especially eHealthy
designergal wrote:
thanks everyone for your stories and advice! It sounds like getting an induction may make labor twice as long or not even work. Yikes! I don't think I am going to sleep very well monday night.......

you are already 2cm dilated so you only have 8 left to go! ;)

everyone's induction story, as everyone's birth story, will be different. It sounds like your body is ripening for labor, so it won't be an issue of whether pitocin will work or not, it is just a question of how long it will take.

It is normal to be nervous. You are going to have a baby!

Good luck!!
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Designer Gal
I am sorry to say that I do not have that much info on the induction. I had both of mine natural and hopefully by tuesday you will too! Maybe the sex will help(only kidding).
I do wish you all the best and I hope that your hubby does not have to go far!
Keep us posted and we are here for you!
|

User Profile
replied August 20th, 2006
Experienced User
Thanks again for your encouragement. It helps!

I walked around the zoo today for about 3 hours hoping that would start something. Nothing yet. I am having sex everday but I probably need to be having it a couple times a day for it to do anything. :) ughhh...This little girl is so stubborn already!
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
Induction works best when your body/baby is ready, sorry to say. I think my first day of induction irritated my little .Aly into coming on her own, because when things *did* start happening, they happened lightning fast.

Just be careful with the docs breaking your water too soon. It can help move things along sometimes, but if they don't happen fast enough, you might wind up needing a c-section. I personally didn't allow the doc to break my water until I was 5-6cm.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
At 38 weeks with my second I was ready to get him out! I'd had a few problems and been in and out of hospital and i'd had my first at 38 weeks too so I was determined to have him.
My midwife stripped my membranes at my 38 week check on the friday cause I kept bugging her (they did that with my 1st too)
I was 2 cm dilated already and I went home... Nothing!

Then when I went to the loo at night time I felt a bit wet down there. I thought it might be my waters so I started running all over the house (lol) to see of it started gushing out. Nothing happened so I went to bed.
The following morning (saturday) I was getting ready and my hubby was just about to leave to go to his friends house when I felt alot more wet down there. I took my pants off and it was trickling out real slow. I still couldn't believe it and thought I was peeing myself! Anyway hubby took me to hospital and they did a test with a swab and confirmed it was my waters and told me to just go home as I was still only 2 cm. I was p!Ssed so I walked up and down oxford st (looooong london street) for 3 hours trying to get things started. Still nothing.

My midwife did accupuncture on me- nothing. I got sent home close to tears. I was told I needed to be induced at 8.30am on sunday morning.

I slept right through the night no contractions and came in the morning. They set up the drip etc and suddenly I had a huge contraction. I screamed out it was so painful (i was silent throughout my whole first labour)

the dr examined me and I was 5-6cm! I couldn't believe it! I'd had no contractions at all! I requested an epidural as it hurt so bad with no break inbetween. The epidural didn't work til the last 15 mins.

Altogether I was in labour for 2 hours 7 mins. People say i'm lucky but it was worse than my 26 hour labour with my first cause there was no break.

In the end I didn't have to be induced I think my body fought against it! Lol
|

Experienced User
Good luck on tuesday with your baby I cant wait to see pictures!!
|

User Profile
replied August 21st, 2006
Especially eHealthy
beckster06 wrote:

the following morning (saturday) I was getting ready and my hubby was just about to leave to go to his friends house when I felt alot more wet down there. I took my pants off and it was trickling out real slow. I still couldn't believe it and thought I was peeing myself! Anyway hubby took me to hospital and they did a test with a swab and confirmed it was my waters and told me to just go home as I was still only 2 cm. I was p!Ssed so I walked up and down oxford st (looooong london street) for 3 hours trying to get things started. Still nothing.

lmao I thought that I was peeing on myself too at first and I didn't want to believe that it was my water breaking. I didn't want to go to the hospital right away because I was sooo scared that they'd send me home because I live to far away. I thought I had more time until the pain started.
|