Medical Questions > Abortion > Medical Abortion Forum

Return to Work After Abortion?

Must Read
A D&C is a standard procedure. But it can be scary when you don't know what to expect. Learn about what happens during dilation and curettage to prepare yoursel...
Dilation and curettage, or D & C for short, is a procedure that is used to diagnose and treat a number of womens health conditions. What are some goals of a D a...
A D&C usually is free of problems, and the recovery period for the procedure is short. But knowing about possible complications can help you detect problems ea...
I am in a really screwed up situation-i have a serious job that requires me to be on my feet for 8 1/2 to 10 hrs a day. I am having an abortion on thursday, at just shy of three weeks from conception. It probably sounds ridiculous, but I want to have the abortion at the 20 day mark (the soonest I could get my appt) I don't want to wait any longer, because everything I read from researching it said the heart begins beating at between 21 and 23 days. This just makes me feel better to think that I can have it done before it's heart starts beating or it has brain function and brain waves. I am of course not naive enough to think that there's no possibility that it's heart could have already started, but it's a consolation to believe there's a chance that I beat it. Forgive me if this sounds awful. I myself am against my decision, but in a situation that I know it is best for all involved. My delimma is if I waited a week, I could have two and a half days off to recover before returning to work. As it sits, I am scheduled to return to work the next day, friday. My job is fairly physical. While I can bypass the physical workload of lifting and whatnot onto others, as i'm in mgmt, I still must be there and on my feet for at least 8 1/2 hrs. My body is however very used to this, and I am still extremely early in this pregnancy. What are the risks I am taking to return to work this incredibly soon? Has anyone else returned this soon, and what was the outcome?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 15th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Re: Return to Work After Abortion?
dramaqueen wrote:
i am in a really screwed up situation-i have a serious job that requires me to be on my feet for 8 1/2 to 10 hrs a day. I am having an abortion on thursday, at just shy of three weeks from conception. It probably sounds ridiculous, but I want to have the abortion at the 20 day mark (the soonest I could get my appt) I don't want to wait any longer, because everything I read from researching it said the heart begins beating at between 21 and 23 days. This just makes me feel better to think that I can have it done before it's heart starts beating or it has brain function and brain waves. I am of course not naive enough to think that there's no possibility that it's heart could have already started, but it's a consolation to believe there's a chance that I beat it. Forgive me if this sounds awful. I myself am against my decision, but in a situation that I know it is best for all involved. My delimma is if I waited a week, I could have two and a half days off to recover before returning to work. As it sits, I am scheduled to return to work the next day, friday. My job is fairly physical. While I can bypass the physical workload of lifting and whatnot onto others, as i'm in mgmt, I still must be there and on my feet for at least 8 1/2 hrs. My body is however very used to this, and I am still extremely early in this pregnancy. What are the risks I am taking to return to work this incredibly soon? Has anyone else returned this soon, and what was the outcome?

first of all, I really respect you!! The fact that you are doing it so early and are concerned about the heartbeat -i would feel the exact same way. I have never had an abortion, but...

I know after you have an abortions you could bleed a lot. Just like after having a baby you bleed a lot and are supposed to stay off your feet as much as possible. You can risk hemoraging (sp?) ....And that can lead you in the er with serious complications. I would recommend calling into work and trying to take a week off, your health depends on it.
|

replied August 21st, 2006
Especially eHealthy
Re: Return to Work After Abortion?
dramaqueen wrote:
i am in a really screwed up situation-i have a serious job that requires me to be on my feet for 8 1/2 to 10 hrs a day. I am having an abortion on thursday, at just shy of three weeks from conception. It probably sounds ridiculous, but I want to have the abortion at the 20 day mark (the soonest I could get my appt) I don't want to wait any longer, because everything I read from researching it said the heart begins beating at between 21 and 23 days. This just makes me feel better to think that I can have it done before it's heart starts beating or it has brain function and brain waves. I am of course not naive enough to think that there's no possibility that it's heart could have already started, but it's a consolation to believe there's a chance that I beat it. Forgive me if this sounds awful. I myself am against my decision, but in a situation that I know it is best for all involved. My delimma is if I waited a week, I could have two and a half days off to recover before returning to work. As it sits, I am scheduled to return to work the next day, friday. My job is fairly physical. While I can bypass the physical workload of lifting and whatnot onto others, as i'm in mgmt, I still must be there and on my feet for at least 8 1/2 hrs. My body is however very used to this, and I am still extremely early in this pregnancy. What are the risks I am taking to return to work this incredibly soon? Has anyone else returned this soon, and what was the outcome?

2 1/2 days are plenty.
|