Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

How Long Does the Pain Last After Hip Replacement Surgery

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
I'm 26 years old, I had my hip replaced two months ago, and I still have pain, it is a different kind of pain and its not as ongoing as it was before the surgery. But its still very bothersome.

My questions is this- when someone has a hip replacement how long are they in pain after the surgery, (i know it varies but give me an estimate)

also- does the pain ever completely go away? Including weather pain?

Thanks
jason
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Gaelic
|

replied August 28th, 2008
Hip Replacement Pain
Hello Jason,
I too had a total hip replacement, anterior surgical procedure. I still have pain, after 5 weeks post surgery. The evening after PT really gets rought. Ice packs at night help. I understand that after about 9 months or so, the hip will start to loosen up and with excerise and PT, and the healing process it will get better. The muscles have to heal and I know how impatient we are to get back on track and back to normal. Yes, the weather does effect me also. However, it is nothing compared to the pain I had before the surgery. My hip would go out and I would fall in the floor and could not stand more than 20 minutes and be in bed for days. So, this is a piece of cake compared to that. I have a cane that serves me well.
Be patient and do what the PT and doctor says, and I am sure you will be better in time.
Jeannieb
|

replied September 16th, 2008
hi jason
I was in a car accident almost two years ago and had pins put in my hip. I too live in pain on a daily basis, sometime heating pad or ice will will help a bit. I was wandering if anyone has ever tried acupuncture? I also do suffer from nerve damage......I too will need to face a hip replacement in th future..Anyhow Jason I noticed you live in south florida and your around my age, so it you have some time to write about your expierence that would be koollll.....till next time
jess
|

replied July 22nd, 2010
I had hip surgery, titanium plates and cement, in February and the pain at night which went right down the leg has gone, but when I go for a walk it starts to hurt after 20 mins. I have to stop for a rest and then carry on. I think the healing process takes longer than the consultants say, probably anything up to a year. Those muscles were weak before surgery and have been weakened further by surgery.
|

replied November 2nd, 2012
Hip replacement
My problem is that I fell and fractured my left hip 4 months ago and had replacement surgery. I am 74 years old and 44 years ago broke my right ankle and have 6 pins in it, so have had a limp and not very good balance since then. Since my hip operation I am still having a lot or pain especially at night often in both legs but think because I walk badly it is affecting my back. I am in constant fear of falling again and I am having a lot of post operative depression. I take a lot of pain killers and other tablets. Please don't blame it on age as I was fine before the op.
|

User Profile
replied November 2nd, 2012
Especially eHealthy
jaycee_471,

Unfortunately, your age does play into the problem a little. As we get older, we just do not heal as quickly, nor rebuild strength as well, and balance/agility is not as good. As we get over the age of 60 or so, we do not have the reserves to call on, that we had when we were younger. Sorry, but that is just a fact of life. But, that is not to say that you should be having these problems.

It takes a lot of hard work to rehabilitate from an injury and surgery. You have been through this before (ankle injury), so you should be familiar with rehab. It does not “just happen”, you have to really work at it. Besides the regaining of range of motion and muscles strength, you have to also work on overall general fitness and also specifically on proprioception, balance, and agility.

You are correct, that if you have a significant limp, that can affect the biomechanics of the lower extremities, resulting in discomfort in the legs and/or back. However, if you have had a limp for the past couple of decades, that is going to be very difficult to correct (if it is even possible). You can compensate, by building up the muscles in the legs and back and using a cane.

If you have clinical depression, you need to get that taken care of. Depression is well known to slow, and even stop, rehabilitation from a significant injury. Depression makes pain worse. Then, the pain makes the depression worse, and you get into a vicious cycle. Depression is a medial illness. It does not mean that a person is weak or “crazy”. But, it does need to be treated.

It is also very concerning that you are still taking “lot of pain killers and other tablets”. If this includes opioids, you really need to get this under control. By four months out from a total joint replacement, a patient should really not be needing opioid pain medication any more. Again, if you are still taking opioids, you need to find out what is causing your pain, and get it taken care of.

Continued pain after a joint replacement must be evaluated, because indolent infection is always a concern.

You obviously want to get back to your pre-injury status, or you would not have posted a message. Hope you and your surgeon can figure out why you are still having so much pain. If you have clinical depression, you have to get that treated, as it will keep you from getting back to where you want to be.

Wishing you the best. Good luck.
|