Medical Questions > Parenting > Newborn Babies Forum

4 Week Old Baby Vomiting (Page 1)

Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....
When we first came home we had no problem feeding my baby, at the first weigh in she put on 340 gms. The next week she started vomiting after every feed as soon as she finished 3 - 4 times and up to 2 hrs later. It starts of watery and ends up thick like curdled milk. On her second weigh in she only put 10 gm. She often wakes up from a night sleep all wet with wet sheets from vomiting. She is still getting lots of wet nappies.

Ive been told that it could be diet related. What foods should I avoid? I am sitting her up for between 30mns to an hr and as soon as I move her from my shoulder she vomits.

I have asked the maternal health nurse who doesn't seem fussed, she thinks she may be a "happy chucker"

has anyone had similar problems? What did you do?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper savtan
|

replied August 12th, 2006
Experienced User
What is a happy chucker? (just though I would ask just in case my little one has that problem) are you breastfeeding?
|

It was the term used by our mid wife for a baby that vomits after feeds but nothing wrong with it. As long as baby is still producing wet nappies, alert and gainning weight we shouldnt worry. But we still worry.
Yes I am breastfeeding.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Sounds like reflux. My son has it, severly.
If your baby is a happy spitter, there is no need to do anything.
If your baby is like my son, and screams when the acid reflux comes up and refuses to eat, then she will need medication to block the acid.

If you are breastfeeding I recommend you eliminate all dairy and soy along with eggs nuts and fish for 2-3 weeks and see if it makes a difference. I bet it will help. Many babies have mspi (milk/soy protein intolerance) and that contributes to the vomitting.

Keep her elevated as much as possible.
|

The good thing is that she doesnt refuse to eat or screams after vomiting.
In most cases she seams realived and contempt after vomiting.
We cut out dairy, brocolli, califlower, chocolate and orange juice for two days this seamed to work for two feeds yesterday afternoon were there was no vomiting. But the vomiting returned later that night and three feeds later still vomiting.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
savtan wrote:
the good thing is that she doesnt refuse to eat or screams after vomiting.

In most cases she seams realived and contempt after vomiting.
We cut out dairy, brocolli, califlower, chocolate and orange juice for two days this seamed to work for two feeds yesterday afternoon were there was no vomiting. But the vomiting returned later that night and three feeds later still vomiting.

i still think you need to cut out a few other things, the ones that I mentioned above^ . Also, give it 2-3 weeks to see a real improvement. Good luck.
|

Thank you for your advise. :)
i will probably try other foods as well, as I dont eat fish or nuts. I havent had eggs in over a week, but thats not to say that there wasnt any egg ingrediants any other foods ive had.
|

User Profile
replied August 13th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
A lot of times it's simply that the baby can't tolerate something in your diet. I saw a post that listed the most common problems. My son did that for a little while starting around the same age but he's not doing it any more. But if you're worried by all means see your pediatrician.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Does sound like acid reflux and to be honest if you dont take care of it it can go worse and erode babies esophagus, I hope you look into it prescription can really help usually they prescribe zantaz for babies.

My daughter had that we changed her formula and it helped, I had gerd and got it under control with med,exercise and diet so diet is an extremly big big influenece.
|

Experienced User
I agree with nataliachick. My friend breastfed her baby and he started doing that. She had to cut out all dairy and it helped a lot. He also got diarrhea when she ate mexican food!
|

I agree with all of the girls above. But I am worried about her/him waking up with sheets that are soaked from it all. If you are putting your baby on his/ her back, I worry that he/she will get some of the fluid left and choke. I really think you need to get a second opinion.

I am going to be new to breastfeeding, and I knew drugs/ alcohol would affect the baby when breastfeeding, but I never thought of food, so thanks for that useful information ladies.
|

replied August 14th, 2006
Thank you for all the information.
We have cut out of our diet a few foods and it seems to be working. The main foods we have cut are chocalates, cheese, dairy, cauliflower, brocalli, cabbage and orange juice last thursday and friday. This made a change. Saturday afternoon she had three feeds without vomiting. I did though have cauliflower soup saturday night. Two feeds later she was again vomiting. Dont want to put her through that so im not going to experiment for awhile. I think the soup has now gone through my system cause she has once again improved since late sunday and hasnt vomited. Will indroduce one type of food in about a week that we have cut out but certainly not cauliflower.
The main thing is that she has put on weight since the diet change. She went from putting on just 10grams the week before to putting on 240grams in the last 4-5days.
|

User Profile
replied August 14th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
savtan wrote:
thank you for all the information.
We have cut out of our diet a few foods and it seems to be working. The main foods we have cut are chocalates, cheese, dairy, cauliflower, brocalli, cabbage and orange juice last thursday and friday. This made a change. Saturday afternoon she had three feeds without vomiting. I did though have cauliflower soup saturday night. Two feeds later she was again vomiting. Dont want to put her through that so im not going to experiment for awhile. I think the soup has now gone through my system cause she has once again improved since late sunday and hasnt vomited. Will indroduce one type of food in about a week that we have cut out but certainly not cauliflower.
The main thing is that she has put on weight since the diet change. She went from putting on just 10grams the week before to putting on 240grams in the last 4-5days.

im sorry but a week? What is the point of that? If you want your child not to vomit then I suggest waiting 6 months before you even try to reintroduce any culprits.
|

replied August 16th, 2006
By introducing one item at a time we will be able to pin point what the actual food is that is causing this. Thus eliminating it all together from our diets for long while.
It has been great so far. Her weight has been increasing by the day.
|

User Profile
Active User, very eHealthy
Did they check to see if she's lactose intolerant? My coworker's brother and his wife were having the same problem. They found out that the baby is lactose intolerant and had to put her on special formula. Just something I thought i'd throw in there in case they haven't checked that out yet.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
It is extremely rare for an infant to be lactose intolerant. It is almost always the case of mspi.
|

savtan wrote:
by introducing one item at a time we will be able to pin point what the actual food is that is causing this. Thus eliminating it all together from our diets for long while.

It has been great so far. Her weight has been increasing by the day.
i think thats a great idea!
|

User Profile
replied August 17th, 2006
Active User, very eHealthy
nataliachick7 wrote:
it is extremely rare for an infant to be lactose intolerant. It is almost always the case of mspi.

yea, just thought i'd put the suggestion out there. Wouldn't hurt to check. It happened to my friend, even though it's rare.
|

User Profile
replied August 18th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
chrissy721 wrote:
nataliachick7 wrote:
it is extremely rare for an infant to be lactose intolerant. It is almost always the case of mspi.

yea, just thought i'd put the suggestion out there. Wouldn't hurt to check. It happened to my friend, even though it's rare.

it's rare among some races but more common among others. I guess since i'm other I see it from a different perspective. Me, my brother, my sister, 2 of my aunts, 3 of my uncles and 2 of my nieces and nephews have it. Hmmm, maybe in this case it's more a hereditary thing? Can lactose intolerance be hereditary, does anyone know?
|

replied July 30th, 2007
Sounds like silent reflux.

My daughter had reflux when she was only a couple of months old, but she had severe pain with it and would scream during and after a feed.
|
12 >>