Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Appendix and Appendicitis Forum

Pain On Left Side Was Ruptured Appendix

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
My 77 year old husband became very ill a week ago with weakness, pain on left side (no right side pain) and diarhhea. His blood pressure dropped from 116/68 to 68/40. In the er room his infection rate was 21,000. After twelve hours in the er without diagnosis, a c-t scan was done and it revealed inflammation where the appendix should be (on the right side.) emergency surgery was performed and the inflammation showed gangrene but the appendix was not where it is intended to be, but instead on the left side, behind his colon, folded like a butterfly, and ruptured. He was very near death at the time of surgery. He is recovering very well in the hospital. His surgeon said he had operated on several people whose appendix were not where is is supposed to be and therefore the pain they cause is not on the right. Apparently, this causes nurses and doctors to overlook the possibility of that left side pain can be caused by the appendix...So don't rule out appendix when being ill with lower left side pain. There is a medical term associated with this, but I can't remember what the surgeon told me.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 17th, 2006
Only his gall bladder was reversed? Their are some people who have everything in the torso reversed..Heart..Spleen appendix gallbadder I can't remember that term either though. My gall bladder wasn't on the left side but it was in the wrong spot causing it to have an odd feeling. Not really painful..Just felt like something was in there that wanted to come out and it shouldn't be there. So it took a while for my diagnosis too. Due to mien being in the wrong spot I was actually sick for a month prior, I lost a ton of weight, everything I ate would either come back really quick or go out really quick. It was one extreme to the next, the only thign I could eat without getting sick was mcdonalds (go figure) and turkey sandwhiches. It was my appendix, "going bad" that caused me so much gastric distress the month prior. As soon as it was out I could eat whatever I wanted. Everyones body is different, I thik doctors sometimes forget that we may not all conform to the standard symptoms!
|
Did you find this post helpful?