Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Q and A Forum

Lifting

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
Why is it that thwy tell you if your pregnant not to lift anything heavy and not to lift anything up over your head? I was just wondering what this was for.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 12th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
I think its cause you can put strain on your stomach muscles and possibly injure yourself
|

replied August 12th, 2006
Experienced User
Oh well I guess that makes sence. Its hard being pregnant I barly know anyone who is expecting at this time. If anyone wants to chat.
|

replied August 14th, 2006
That is mostly an old wives tale, but I definitely wouldn't lift anything above my head anyways because it can put strain on your baby. You shouldn't lift over 30 lbs when you're pregnant.
|

User Profile
Supporter
pixie2007 wrote:
that is mostly an old wives tale, but I definitely wouldn't lift anything above my head anyways because it can put strain on your baby. You shouldn't lift over 30 lbs when you're pregnant.

if it's an old wives tale why would your doctor tell you not to?
|

Because the old wives tale suggests that the baby could get detached and cut off the breathing/food supply....Its silly, but that's why its called an old wives tale.....The doctor suggests that you shouldn't lift anything above your head for the very reason that I stated in my last response.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Thats bs....You shouldnt lift anything that's too heavy with reason ...
|

Experienced User
Its my understanding that you shouldn't lift anything over your head and nothing heavy because there is a type of hormone that is released when you are pregnant that relaxes your joints (this hormones helps your pelvis bones to expand to accomodate the baby) anyway the hormone doesn't only affect the pelvis bones it affects every joint in your body. And lifting anything over your head causes serious safety risks because you are more prone to drop it or to displace a bone.
|

Especially eHealthy
foxy wrote:
its my understanding that you shouldn't lift anything over your head and nothing heavy because there is a type of hormone that is released when you are pregnant that relaxes your joints (this hormones helps your pelvis bones to expand to accomodate the baby) anyway the hormone doesn't only affect the pelvis bones it affects every joint in your body. And lifting anything over your head causes serious safety risks because you are more prone to drop it or to displace a bone.

the hormone is called 'relaxin'.
|

Especially eHealthy
It may surprise you to know that the risk of heavy lifting in pregnancy is not injury to the baby but injury to the mother. Pregnancy hormones cause your ligaments to soften, which helps your pelvis widen to make room for childbirth. As a result of having softer ligaments, your joints may be less stable than usual and injury may be more likely.

Heavy lifting also can put stress on your back, leading to intermittent or ongoing back pain. Here are several ways to minimize the chances of hurting yourself while lifting something heavy.

Lift from your legs. Squat down and use your legs to bear much of the weight as you stand up.

Don't lean over. Bending over as you lift puts all the stress of the weight on your back.

Ask someone to help. Back pain in pregnancy is common enough without bringing it on yourself. This is no time to be proud; ask for help whenever possible--particularly if you already have been experiencing back pain.

Let your children climb up onto you. It may be impossible, especially if you have a toddler, to avoid lifting and carrying him periodically. No doubt there will be times when you need to immediately rescue him from an unsafe situation or when he just needs you to hold him. As much as possible, have your children climb up onto your lap for a snuggle instead of picking them up from the floor. Your back will thank you.
How much is too much?
Different physicians have different recommendations for how much you can safely lift. Again, these guidelines have to do with safeguarding you against back injury; the baby is protected in your uterus and won't get hurt if you lift heavy objects. If you are concerned about your back or have to do heavy lifting at your job, discuss weight limits with your practitioner.
|

Experienced User
I heard the lifting thing above your head can cause the baby to get its cord around its neck but its not true because I asked my doctor and he said the reason the baby gets it cord around its neck is because if all the flipping and turning it does.
|

Experienced User
ingi wrote:
foxy wrote:
its my understanding that you shouldn't lift anything over your head and nothing heavy because there is a type of hormone that is released when you are pregnant that relaxes your joints (this hormones helps your pelvis bones to expand to accomodate the baby) anyway the hormone doesn't only affect the pelvis bones it affects every joint in your body. And lifting anything over your head causes serious safety risks because you are more prone to drop it or to displace a bone.

the hormone is called 'relaxin'.

right! Thanks
|

replied June 4th, 2009
reply to lifting wehn pregnant
thanks Mabel! v useful Smile
|
Quick Reply