Medical Questions > Parenting > Infants Forum

Lump On Chest - Normal For a Baby ? (Page 1)

Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....
My daughter has a lump on her left side of her chest is this normal ?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper just_this_once
|

replied April 14th, 2004
Lump On Chest
My daughter has the same thing - a lump on the left side of her chest as well. The dr said that not everyone is born with symetrical bones and not to worry about it. But I am still worried - and have not found anything on the web. Have you come across any other information?
|

replied October 22nd, 2011
we have the same case, my newborn baby boy has also lump on his left side on his chest. i'm starting to figure it out on the web but it does'nt give me satisfaction regarding this case, i know doctor's know it but it's really difficult for me as a mother seeing my baby boy in this kind of situation i want to bring him into the hospital right away, but we all know that money still all that matters, i really don't know what to do? only god knows!
|

replied April 15th, 2004
Yes I found out that it is normal my daughters docter told me it was nothing to worry about I cant remeber the name for what it is caled but its is normal belive ne I was scred too but its ok its normal..
|

replied May 21st, 2004
My Baby Has Also Developed a Lump Middle of Chest (sternum)
She has just had mmr vaccine (8 days ago) and had a bad cough and throat infection following. She is on antibiotics, and we noticed a slight lump (almost like an insect bite) on her chest 2 days ago. Tonight it is much bigger (1 inch in diameter) but no sign of pinprick - it just feels like a boil and looks like a cartilage growth under the skin. Has anybody experienced similar or have any views on this? Thanks - worried mum Sad
|

replied May 21st, 2004
Experienced User
Woooooow
You guys got me checking on my baby.... Kind of scarry but she doesen't have that.... Hope your babys will be ok I will pray for you ... Smile
|

replied June 8th, 2007
People, Here Is a Quote to Answer Your Questions;
"Below the sternum is a hangy down bone nubbin called the xiphoid. Its main function is to terrify parents into thinking it is a tumor. "What's this bump?" This is especially true when the youngster is thin and when the sternum is spoon shaped pointing the xiphoid forwardish rather than down."

i am a 22 year old male student in decent physical shape. i too was scared out of my wits when i noticed this bump. like a fool i kept it to myself for a while, feeling more anxious with every passing day. one day i cracked and while visiting my family covertly patted my father just above his stomach and noticed the bump there as well, i did the same thing to my brother, just a pat was enough to notice the bump. my fathers bump was smaller than my brothers' and mine was of a different size than both of theirs. this put me a little at ease but i still could not quell the hypochondriac itch. a few days later i asked some of my friends if they had it, and one of them (who also had never noticed it before) noticed the bump and she got extremely upset and started rambling about cancer. for some reason, despite the fact that all three people i asked or "examined" had the bump, despite the fact one of these people is a woman and despite the fact none of us are related by blood (me and my brother are adopted from different families) i had managed to convince myself and my friend that we had tumours. i eventually gave up and just went to my doctor. do you know what she told me!?

"That is just part of your sternum."

and then she laughed. all this worry for nothing. i told my friend when i saw her next and she cracked up. when i told my family about it afterwards they had a wonderful time hysterically laughing. for so many people all over the place to confuse a normal body part with a cancerous lump or some other sort of harmful infliction is sort of humorous in a mildly dark way, when you think about it. dont believe me? here are some links on the topic;

http://www.pediatric-orthopedics.com/Topic s/Bones/Thorax/thorax.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xiphoid_proce ss
http://www.mnsu.edu/emuseum/biology/humana natomy/skeletal/sternum/xiphoid.html
http://www.answers.com/topic/xyphoid-proce ss

i hope you all rest easy after reading this.

peace be with you.

(p.s. unless it is causing you a great deal of pain or growing significantly larger, or oozing puss or something inexplicably unusual, it is most likely just this very normal part of the human sternum.)
|

replied May 2nd, 2009
lump on baby`s chest
My 20 month old daughter has a lump on the left side of her chest above her breast.It is round and hard and looks kinda purplish.I called her doctor and she want me to take her to get an ultra sound on it.Has anyone had anything like this before and if so can you tell me what your doctor said about it?
|

replied July 18th, 2009
lump under baby's breast
I found the same thing on my 3 week old baby's chest on the right side where the nipple is..Its a big hard lump''ball''. I don't now what it is ..I called the nurse and I am taking my son in first thing Monday so he can take a look at it..Ill let you know what he says..Amanda
|

replied July 18th, 2009
lump under baby's breast
I found the same thing on my 3 week old baby's chest on the right side where the nipple is..Its a big hard lump''ball''. I don't now what it is ..I called the nurse and I am taking my son in first thing Monday so he can take a look at it..Ill let you know what he says..Amanda
|

replied May 9th, 2010
lump on my babys right nipple
i just found a lump on my baby''s right nipple and i am so freaking out... i have searched all over the internet they mostly talk about the left nipple or the chest.. i am planing on taking her to the hospital i am so scared of what they can tell me.
|

replied January 29th, 2012
mommy
Hi

I just found a lump on my baby's right nipple too. You were right, most people talk about the left nipple or the chest. What did the doctor say and how is your child doing now. I am freaking out, it is really scary.
|

replied August 15th, 2010
My son is 16 days old and he has 2 lumps. They are right where his nipples are and one has even grown. He has a doctor's appointment Wednesday but I'm not sure if he can wait if the lump keeps growing. Please if anyone has any idea what this is tell me. I'm worried sick.
|

replied March 30th, 2011
just found one on my 6m old son left side upper chest;almost in armpit, no skin discoloration..did anyone get an answer? Dr can't see us till next week. (i should have said he was sick)
|

replied August 25th, 2011
Daughter has dime sized lump left side of chest and chest is red
My daughter is 8 months old. When she was born she had what looked exactly like a pimple but was just a pimple like bump that the doctor was not concerned. I noticed at 4 months old it had a super tiny bump under the skin, but I was not worried at that point. I noticed she had a red spot on her chest size of a quarter and touched it, and there is a dime size hard bump there now. So whatever it is it has grown and now her skin is red? She has a dr appt tom. morning. They said I didnt need to rush her in today. I have no clue what it could be and I am worried. Has this ever happened to anyone?
|

replied August 25th, 2011
Daughter has dime sized lump left side of chest and chest is red
My daughter is 8 months old. When she was born she had what looked exactly like a pimple but was just a pimple like bump that the doctor was not concerned. I noticed at 4 months old it had a super tiny bump under the skin, but I was not worried at that point. I noticed she had a red spot on her chest size of a quarter and touched it, and there is a dime size hard bump there now. So whatever it is it has grown and now her skin is red? She has a dr appt tom. morning. They said I didnt need to rush her in today. I have no clue what it could be and I am worried. Has this ever happened to anyone?
|

replied November 4th, 2011
Well, of course I noticed a lump on my baby's chest that's why I'm here. Glad to know that I'm not the only one who's worried about the same thing. First, I felt a lump in the middle of her chest but gearing more to the left, and this was a month ago. And just this week I felt on my 8th month daughter's right nipple a tiny lump too. We're still abroad so I can't take her to her doctor. But upon reading all your experiences I'm not that worried anymore. Very hopeful that these lumps are nothing.
|

replied November 28th, 2011
My 15 month old has a lump below the sternum lump, doc thought it was her sternum but it is not, I guess it's no big deal so long as size and color don't change. It looks like a mosquito bite under the skin, doesn't hurt my baby at all just looks weird. Doc just noted it wasn't worried at all about it. Hope that helps Smile
|

replied January 23rd, 2012
lump on baby
I have a 3 month old, and my friend who has a 1 yr old actually found the lump on my daughters left breast. I was so worried. i had attended a breastfeeding support group that afternoon. I talked to the lactation consultant where i asked her to feel the lump. she asked another LC to feel. Shortly after she said i should take her to the doctor. I i was so worried i had the biggest knot in my throat! i immediately went to the ER were the doctor told me that it doesnt seem to hurt her, nor is it red, you can even see it. u can only feel it. Theres no oozing. he told me its either a lymphnote or just a breastbud and that we all have them. sometimes 1 bigger that the other. but that it was nothing to be worried about. he said to keep an eye on it make sure it didnt grow, or become red. He also suggested to do a follow up apointment with her regular doctor to get another view. i hope that helps alot of the concered parents!!
|

replied February 11th, 2012
I Just found a lump on my 2 week old daughters right breast directly underneath her nipple and it it about a quarter size and is hard to the touch. I am so worried and Have an appt for her this coming Monday. I don't know what it could be but I am trying not to think the worst because she is so small. :/ I didn't see anyone else have an answer to what sounded similar to her issue....
|

replied March 9th, 2012
if your child has a lump on their chest be sure to get it checked out! insist on getting it looked at!!! i just discovered one on my 11 month old on her left side of her chest i took her to the doctor and they thought it was a cyst or abscest so they sent me right away to rady childrens hospital to get it examined further and in the end she had to be sedated and have all the puss and nasty stuff that was in the bump removed. they diagnosed it as cellulitis and abcest of the trunk. get it checked!!! i dont want to stress anyone out but just be safe and get it checked out!
|

replied June 7th, 2012
lump
my baby has a lump on his left side nipple under armpit, and also he has one in the left side of his ass' cheek. do you what should i do? i am so worried about it Sad
|
12 >>
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Anand J. Singh
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile