Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass Forum

Trapped Air Bubble Feeling Behind Left Rib?

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
For about two weeks I have had a feeling like an air bubble was behind my rib cage. Then after playing about 6 games of air hockey I noticed when I was in the shower that my left rib was actually kind of sticking out, swollen and appears to be bruised. It does not hurt on the outside and doesnt cause too much pain at all besides the bubble feeling here and there but always behind my left rib cage. I am a 26 yr old female. I have never had heartburn or stomach problems. I do not have constipation or diarreah. Has anyone had this type of pain behind left rib?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper gizzle
|

replied May 6th, 2007
Re: Trapped Air Bubble Feeling Behind Left Rib?
spooooork wrote:
For about two weeks I have had a feeling like an air bubble was behind my rib cage. Then after playing about 6 games of air hockey I noticed when I was in the shower that my left rib was actually kind of sticking out, swollen and appears to be bruised. It does not hurt on the outside and doesnt cause too much pain at all besides the bubble feeling here and there but always behind my left rib cage. I am a 26 yr old female. I have never had heartburn or stomach problems. I do not have constipation or diarreah. Has anyone had this type of pain behind left rib?
|

replied May 6th, 2007
Re: Trapped Air Bubble Feeling Behind Left Rib?
spooooork wrote:

Hello my daughter has the same problem but it causes her servere pain. She has had pain on and off since oct 2006. the doctors finally said that she was impacted as of may 2007. we have been doing treatment all weekend but she doesn't seem to be doing better. Did your pain ever go away.
|

replied March 30th, 2009
Trapped wind behind left rib
I have same symptoms which i find really irritating have tried charcole tabs, peppermint, omperzole the works ..... nothing helps - can some give me advice ??????

frustrated ms windy ribs
|

replied June 10th, 2009
me too! its so unsual and at times very uncomfortable. I experience no pain, but the feeling is like having a carbonated soda floating around under the rib cage that never goes flat. it's sooooooo annoying!
|

replied July 30th, 2009
this may not work for everyone depending on what exactly is wrong with the individual, but some may find relief from having their diaphragm adjusted. ask your chiropractor.
|

replied June 4th, 2010
LEFT SIDE ABDOMINAL PAIN!
I have been having this problem for a year now on my left side it has put me in the er 5 times for such sever pain! i have no idea what it is and have been to serveral doctors done my fair share of test and i still have this problem i wish they could do something for me because it's getting to the point that i can't even handle any more and the er's don't do anything! please help!!
|

replied August 14th, 2010
Me too
I have a bubble under my left rib, too. It doesn't hurt when I touch it, but it hurts sporadically for the last 3 months. I also have upper back pain almost directly on the opposite side of the bubble. I've had the back pain for the last 11 months, and it has gotten worse and is now unbearable. It hurts most when I sit. I've had all types of tests and no one can tell me what it is. What kind of doctors do we have in this country??
|

replied March 3rd, 2012
BUBBLES IN CHEST OR BODY
Get checked for blood clots, I read these stories all the time. I don't think doctors care so much, I think they only care about getting paid!!! People need to do there own research and not wait on doctors. Make sure its not your heart with a GOOD team of doctors, but then check for blood clots wich can kill if not treated. Ofcourse it could be just gas bubbleing around. That would be the best case I suppose, clots can be EASILY resolved. Take aspirin for now to be safer. That helps keep your heart safe, and can help the clots a bit. SEE A GOOD/GREAT team of doctors soon, not just the same quack who gets no results!!! God bless you, in my prayers. ME
|

replied March 3rd, 2012
BUBBLES IN CHEST OR BODY
Get checked for blood clots, I read these stories all the time. I don't think doctors care so much, I think they only care about getting paid!!! People need to do there own research and not wait on doctors. Make sure its not your heart with a GOOD team of doctors, but then check for blood clots wich can kill if not treated. Ofcourse it could be just gas bubbleing around. That would be the best case I suppose, clots can be EASILY resolved. Take aspirin for now to be safer. That helps keep your heart safe, and can help the clots a bit. SEE A GOOD/GREAT team of doctors soon, not just the same quack who gets no results!!! God bless you, in my prayers. ME
|

replied August 18th, 2010
buddy i had one for 1 and half month
it aggravates whenever u take deep breath and again run or disturb ur chest is it so???

it will go away in a month or so dont worry not serious dont get anxiety

if its too sharp pain take a pain reliever aND DO SOME BREATHING EXERCISES!
trust me it will go away i play football and i had it very badly!!

but was it an external injury?? is the question!!
|

replied September 29th, 2010
I've been having this same problem for about three years now. My pain is localized, though, to only the small area just below my left rib cage. Sometimes when I bend over, I can feel it pushing into me; it feels like there is something there that does not belong. I finally went to the doctor about it last week. They took an x-ray and called me later to say that in the area I was complaining about, there was a pocket of stool there. They advised me to take one Dulcolax laxative and then take Miralax stool softener daily until my follow-up in a month (which is a follow-up for a separate reason). I took the Dulcolax, and the pain was gone the next day. I do tend to have some slight bowel problems, but nothing I see a doctor for. They explained to me that I could have a tortuous colon, which means there are more curves and twists than a normal colon, so the stools slow down trying to make the journey and then harden. I am a 33-year old healthy female.
|

replied March 11th, 2011
Pain under the ribs
I am 6 months pregnant, for a bout 2 weeks I've been having a muscle pain under the left rib. Within the past week I have also noticed the fizzing bubbly feeling when I bend over or lean forward. I really didn't think it had to do with digestive problems, and the ultrasound I had didn't show anything either, it almost seems like these pains and the fizzing feeling is due to something being pinched and that could be very likely that a rib or my back is out. I went to a Chiropractor who does ACT and puts an IFC machine on me. It is probably muscle related, so don't just go to one who cracks your whole body in 5 minutes and then is done.
|

replied May 7th, 2011
i to suffer from this very annoying weird trapped air im all ways feeling bloated and find it hard to push my belly out wards full or empty.... does cause me lots of discomfort, pain, tingling, and embarrassing sounds ! it can travel around my insides its all ways there it never goes it makes lots of noises when i try and stick out my belly. iv had this for over 5/6 years im a 23 healthy male..
|

replied September 28th, 2012
Bubbles left side under ribcage.
I too have a sensation of bubbles moving in my chest. Sometimes I feel them move toward my chest or back. It usually starts under my left breast area. I feel a bubbling sensation. No pain. Very annoying indeed. I have had this sensation a few times. I went to the er thinking it was my heart, but the ecg showed no change in rhythm. My doc thinks it could be GERD.
|