Medical Questions > Mental Health > Mental Conditions Forum

How Can I Cure This Ocd? (Page 1)

Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....
I have had this ocd for many years (about 5-7 years now). I am a 25 year old male in good health. For some reason, I always am afraid of something bad happening to friends, family, myself, etc. And I worry so much and it gives me ocd. I find myself having to touch things a certain amount of times, I have a problem is dark areas, like I don't like the last thing I look at to be dark in color becasue I associate dark colors with bad luck. I find myself doing things an add number of times, not even. Like I will hit the light switch on and off 3, 5, 7 times. Other times I won't step in areas that are dark or have shawdows in them. Whenever I try to stop myself from doing these ocd things, I always start thinking that unless I do them, something bad will happen to somebody I care about or myself, it's like I think there will be bad luck or something. In any event, I do so many weird things and other people notice and it drives me nuts!!!!. I will pick up and put down a shampoo bottle 30+ times just to get it in the right orientation, etc. Just really weird stuff and it's only getting worse. The more stressed I am, the worse it gets. I really need to get a hold of it and stop it otherwise it's going to take over my life. Are there any things you can recommend I do to help me with this? Medications?, alcohol usually helps, smoking marijuana makes it even worse, etc.

Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile blulyneguy
|

replied August 19th, 2006
Experienced User
It sounds like your ocd is more a result of stress. Not necessarily immediate stress, but general stress that lingers within you. My advice would be to learn and practice (daily) meditation, get very physically active, and learn something that requires you to train your brain in discipline, but something you still enjoy.

That's interesting, too, that smoking weed makes it worse for you. I find my ocd issues only go away when I smoke it (well, i've gone to the much healthier method of vaporizing now, which i'd highly advise you to do). In any event, if you must smoke weed for whatever reason, do what I do and go out and be really active.
That, and get some sublingual (under the tongue) vitamin-b 12 tablets, don't even bother with the kind you swallow, your body will barely get any of it if any. The point is, it helps with brain function, enzhym production, and mental control. Plus some omega 3-6-9 fatty acids would be beneficial, but go for the b-12's first.

Best of luck to you.
|

Thank you I really appreciate your help. And yes I too think underlying stress is the problem, when I get stressed out my ocd gets much much worse. Lately I have been having some health issues in my family, plus I am going to be quitting my current full time job to start my own business and I have a house to pay for so it's really stressing me all out. I wish there was a pill or something I could take to help me with all this stress. Sometimes the stress gives me heartburn or upset stomach, etc.

Also, I was looking into a vaporizer myself, any certain one you recommend? I hear the volcano is the best one?

Thanks again!
|

Experienced User
aliensquale wrote:
thank you I really appreciate your help. And yes I too think underlying stress is the problem, when I get stressed out my ocd gets much much worse. Lately I have been having some health issues in my family, plus I am going to be quitting my current full time job to start my own business and I have a house to pay for so it's really stressing me all out. I wish there was a pill or something I could take to help me with all this stress. Sometimes the stress gives me heartburn or upset stomach, etc.

Also, I was looking into a vaporizer myself, any certain one you recommend? I hear the volcano is the best one?

Thanks again!

a pill to make it go away you say? Well, doctors would most likely prescribe you an anti-depressant or methylphenidate (ritalin), but that "meth" at the beginning of the name is no coincidence. I looked into the effects of people doing chrystal meth and it's exactly like ritalin except more exreme. So yeah, overall i'd not recommend ritalin and anti-depressants have caused me nothing but grief.

Now, I doubt you can get a hold of it unless you're in chronic pain, but the doctor gave me these pills call "tramacet". They contain a partial-morphine-receptor-agonist called "tramadol", which basically means it's like an opiate but not so powerfull and destructive. I find this stuff makes me feel really euphoric and 100% compulsion free, not to mention more social (which is quite a leap for me). There are other pills that contain tramadol in larger doses, but those have more potential for addiction and I can't get them here in canada anyway (don't know where you live).

On the matter of weed:

for the vaporizer, there's a lot to choose from. You're quite correct that volcanoes are the best. Best efficiency, best high, best results overall, but it costs around $500 which is pretty steep. Here's a site which should be helpfull to you:

edit

if you want, join our community at edit in the message boards, and post any questions in the "medicinal and health" board where many friendly people will be happy to help you out (and most likely give you some more vaporization sites). We definately help each other out a lot there Smile .
|

replied September 6th, 2006
Experienced User
If you want long lasting relief you may want to try cbt rather than take a pill to learn how to deal with your stress and reduce all your physical symptoms. Cbt has helped me a great deal and reduced my physical symptoms to where I ma healthier than I have ever been despite being the oldest I have ever been. The cbt book we used in my group is short and straight forward it's called been there, done that? Do this! By sam obitz. There's a link where you can read the forward to the book on the website Tao3.Com
it takes effort as it is the purest form of self help but the rewards have been worth all the effort I have put in so far.
|

replied September 6th, 2006
Booyaaa
Hi,

i had a little issue similar to this for a while.

For me, certain things had to be done 3 times. Light switch, alarm, soap, etc. Or toughing things a certain way.

It progressed until I realized, like yourself, I had a problem.

You have to make a conscious decision to change. I started small. Whenever I caught myself doing something I would cut it short.....Twice only. I really wanted that third one but walked away.

You'll get better. You just allowed it to progress because you never thought it was a big deal until it became one.

Stressed....Meditate....In the morning...Right out of bed. Make a conscious decision every morning to address your problem.

Don't mess with medication. It's an industry that relies on the weak to survive. You're better than that. The magical pill is within you. It may take a little more time but at least you'll find a true solution.
|

replied September 12th, 2006
Experienced User
Booyaa is right. Mediatating is great and I counter my thoughts first thing in the morning in a tea form to get started on the right foot and to get all of the anxiety cleared out of my head!
|

replied September 21st, 2006
Experienced User
How's it goin alien? Any progress with any of our suggestions> I hope you are feeling better now.
|

replied November 16th, 2006
Agreed
Along with cbt as shown in the obitz book, meditation is great. You learn to see that there's a gap between you and your thoughts. You discover that your thoughts are not you. They are something flowing throug you from somewhere else. Meditation can hep you claim yourself from the chaos of thr world.
|

replied December 7th, 2006
Experienced User
Hi alien you still posting here? I just got the reply nbotification and I was hoping it was from you. Let me know what's up and how you are doing. Happy holidays!
|

replied February 19th, 2007
Experienced User
Cognitive training is what has helped me so this is good advice. I do the tea form execise all the time and it is great at relieving anxiety and getting you out of your head.
|

User Profile
replied February 19th, 2007
Pure "o"
I have pure O and bipolar disorder, I am also a recovering addict and an alcoholic.

Yes, there is meds that help with anxiety disorders. These meds help me a lot but most of my meds focus on my bipolar disorder.

I couldn't and wouldn't smoke weed to help me with an anxiety disorder. The paranoia would almost kill me and it is a gateway drug for me. There is no such thing as just a joint.

Try medications and CBT, both will help a lot and quickly.
|

replied February 25th, 2007
Experienced User
Re: Pure "o"
SimeonCross wrote:
I have pure O and bipolar disorder, I am also a recovering addict and an alcoholic.

Yes, there is meds that help with anxiety disorders. These meds help me a lot but most of my meds focus on my bipolar disorder.

I couldn't and wouldn't smoke weed to help me with an anxiety disorder. The paranoia would almost kill me and it is a gateway drug for me. There is no such thing as just a joint.

Good advice Simeon and I love your symbol Very Happy
|

User Profile
replied February 27th, 2007
Experienced User
I Disagree
I'm sorry but I do not believe you can overcome severe ocd. I have it and my children have it. Until you have seen an 18 mo. old, a 3 year old, and a 7 yr. old repetitively do an activity and then ask you "daddy, why do I have to do this?" you may believe that *you* can control it. cbt may work for some, but to me, it is like physical therapy for tactile sensitivity- controversial, at best. Zoloft works great for me and no matter how hard I try to resist or not think about it, ocd is *always* there. You cannot 'will' or 'wish' a chemical imbalance away. If you have had luck, god bless you. I personally wouldn't waste one second listening to someone explain to me that *I* can control it. Remember the day that people thought tourettes syndrome was demonic posession? Same thing. Don't be afraid to see a dr. and get meds from *the evil* pharm. companies. I know it's not the popular opinion, but it is from someone who knows first hand. Good luck!
|

User Profile
replied March 4th, 2007
cece7 wrote:
SimeonCross wrote:

I wanted to see if a quote could be within another quote. Cool, yes I stole my avatar from somewhere on the internet.
|

replied March 9th, 2007
Experienced User
blu, I'm not an expert so I won't say that cbt can cure ocd in everyone but I have seen people that were in my group (several who are still good friends of mine to this day) who had severe ocd and turned their lives around with cbt. I'm not saying everyone can achieve this result, but many can and it is certainly worth trying as there is really no downside in trying and if it works like you said God bless them.
|

User Profile
replied March 12th, 2007
Experienced User
True
If it works for someone- great! I just don't want to give false hope to people looking to "cure" it. If something works or may work- I'm all for giving it a shot. Good luck to all!
|

replied April 5th, 2007
Experienced User
SimeonCross wrote:
cece7 wrote:
SimeonCross wrote:

I wanted to see if a quote could be within another quote. Cool, yes I stole my avatar from somewhere on the internet.

Thanks Simeon. I hope your life is going well. It looks like you can have an endless number of quotes within quotes here Shocked
|

replied April 14th, 2007
Experienced User
Re: True
blulyneguy wrote:
If it works for someone- great! I just don't want to give false hope to people looking to "cure" it. If something works or may work- I'm all for giving it a shot. Good luck to all!

Thanks blu and I agree. That makes perfect sense Smile
|

User Profile
replied April 17th, 2007
Experienced User
Meds Etc.
I have found that zoloft works well for me (for OCD). I'm definately not cured and stress is a major factor in my ocd getting worse at times. I also suffer from tourettes syndrome and some other undiagnosed mental condition. I am posting on it today to get feed back and see what it may be. ocd doesn't rule my life most of the time but it can manifest itself in many different ways. Stress is also a big trigger for my tics. I try to relax but with the speed of life, I have concluded that I will have to deal with it and function as normally as possible. Sucks but what else can you do? Just keep up the fight and push forward I say.
|