Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

Numb Teeth

Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
Can anyone tell me why I have numb teeth? On sunday I started feeling unwell when I had an ache in my wrist I went to bed and woke up and the pain was really bad in my arm I ended up passing out and hyperventilating .Now my teeth are numb and they dont seem to be getting better.I have been to the doctors and have had blood tests and an ecg but they dont seem to know why my teeth are still numb
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper TyM86
|

replied November 10th, 2006
My Teeth Just Went Numb Too
Hey, did you ever find out what was causing the numb teeth thing? Three days ago the upper left teeth in my mouth went numb and still are numb now. I just got back from the doctor and she thinks it is probably related to my tmj and clenching my teeth at night. Or it could be a sinus infection causing some pressure on my maxillary nerve, or something else wrong with the nerve that they don't know about yet. So, I am starting antibiotics to rule out a sinus infection and also valium to help me stop clenching my teeth at night and relax my muscles a bit. If that works, i'll try to treat the tmj better, otherwise it means there is some nerve problem... I found some information online that seems to fit my history and may explain some things, if it isn't just a tmj problem, it could be cavitations or nico (neuralgia inducing osteonecrosis) lesions. I hope not because the surgery to take care of it looks painful and yucky.

But did you find out more ever?
|

replied April 22nd, 2010
numb teeth
Do you have any idea why these last week my top right side front teeth have gone numb?, and now today the right side of my nose and under my right eye is a little numb as well ??????
|

replied May 13th, 2010
same thing happens to me... Left top row of teeth go numb, starting with my front left tooth, then progressively getting further into my mouth. Sometimes even my left nostril and part of my face are affected by it. It can also become painful at times. It occurs once or twice a month, and lasts about an hour at a time, only to subside as quickly as it comes on...... Can anybody help?
|

replied July 25th, 2010
numb teeth
sometimes when I eat something and it gets stuck in my teeth, my teeth get this numbing feeling and it is uncomfortable. it doesn't last long, but it's painful. anyone know why? dentists.......anyone?
|

replied August 9th, 2010
It just happened to me. Top left teeth went numb in less than 3 minutes. I felt pressure in my sinus and a lot of discomfort in my face/cheek. I thought back to what I had done prior to the numbing sensation. I had blown my nose harder than I have in the past. And this morning I used some nasal spray for my allergies which tends to make my mucus thicker. I immediately went on-line and found all your experiences documented. I took out my nasal wash/rinse and flushed my sinuses. Then I laid down with my head tilted on the opposite side (right) in hopes that any mucus would move. After about 5 minutes it moved. I felt the pressure release and the numbness immediately went away. I then blew my nose and an amazing amount of mucus came out. I believe in my situation, when I blew my nose hard, pressure built up on the maxillary nerve. Thanks to all your comments, I didn't panic.
|
Users who thank lyricmikaela for this post: Homermaker91 

replied August 10th, 2010
I think my problem is similar to yours. I have a strange numb/tingly sensation in my upper right teeth at the front. It's one tooth that feels numb mainly and feels lik weightless and it spreads across to other teeth at times. Some times it goes away, but leaves to tooth still feeling weightless and just not right. I also suffer sinus issues on the same side of my face, but I'm not sure if it's related. There's no pain though.
|

replied October 7th, 2010
lyricmikaela -- i had the same sensation as you. it happens to me once every several months when i have a cold and i, too, have found that it tends to start after blowing my nose (perhaps too hard). i think it might also happen from blowing my nose at an angle, though i'm not sure of this. it starts as a numbness in the upper corner of my lip and moves to my upper teeth, mainly on one side but sometimes spreading. the numbness spreads to my upper lip, cheek (near the nose), and the side of my nose as well. the numbness brings with it a dull pain. a bad case can last up to 45 minutes or an hour, but it always ends the same way: abrubtly, when i feel and hear my nasal passage opening (sounds like small bubbles flowing through the side of my nose). what type of nasal wash/rinse did you use? i have tried lying on the opposite side but it hasn't worked for me. wish it would go away after 5 minutes as it's quite uncomfortable...
|

replied January 28th, 2011
I also have numb teeth and i am having bad cold now. I can also associate with it. Its very strange feeling because it doen't hurt my teeth but at the same time i am not comforatble at all because of tangling feeling and numbness
|

replied February 19th, 2011
I need a helpful post hear, my left front tooth went numb a few days ago and don't know the cause my doctor think it my be my (Qvar) inhalation aerosol so I'm off it for a week but if the numbness stays I'm lost for words.I have also been taking Vitamin E 860 I.U.'s so Maybe it could be the E, Please help someone and let me know if you know anything.Thank you.
|

replied November 29th, 2011
Hi all,
I have had a bad headcold for 4 days & extremely congested despite taking Sudafed and Mucinex. This morning I seemed to be on the upswing a bit, but morning decongestant meds had not yet kicked in..while drinking my coffee my upper left molar starting aching. Felt like a toothache and over the course of 10 minutes it just got worse and worse. Then my top left front tooth went numb, and gradually the numbness spread to the adjoining left teeth back to the molar that started hurting first. It felt like I had had a shot of novacaine that only affected the teeth and not my lips. This was all within 10-15 minutes! Called my dentist right away, and we both agreed it must be sinus pressure related. So, I remembered what my dad told me a long time ago, that humans started having sinus issues after standing upright...so I got down on all 4's and hung my head,and low and behold, after 10 seconds the pressure released in my sinuses on the left side with the wierdest sound, like a schhhlllloooomp when suction is released. The numbness and pain in my teeth went away immediately. The pressure must have been pushing on a nerve is all.
|

replied February 24th, 2012
Numb Teeth / Sinus Related
This has happened to me on several occasions and usually subsides on its own. However, this morning was different. The numbness seemed to last longer and there was a pain in my upper right mandible, near the molars. I have always figured it was sinus related because in the past I have felt the sinus relieve itself and numbness disappear. I would try to massage and puff my cheeks out with warm, exhaled air. Didn't work. While getting coffee, thinking the caffeine would help the associated headache, I bent over to tie my shoe and felt almost immediate relief. I got back to my desk, sat down in my chair and put my head between my legs for about minute. My sinus cleared, the feeling came back to my teeth and there was no more pain. You must make your sinus clear! Good luck! I hope this works for you!
|

replied November 10th, 2012
Pressure Points that Help the Numbness
Hi to those with the numbness in their nose, lips, teeth and chin after blowing their noses. I was told that I was blowing my nose too hard and putting pressure on my sinuses that lead to cutting off my circulation to the areas. In the past I tried all to the tilts and positions that you guys have without success, but I have found a couple of pressure points that work for me to relieve the numbness faster.

At the bridge of my nose, right below where my eyes would be, I place my index finger and thumb and pinch, then I cover them with my other hand's index finger and thumb to apply more pressure and hold it for about 15-30 seconds.

Also I'll place my thumb or a finger in the space between my cheek bone, nose and eye-on both sides. There's a little space there that I apply pressure to and do small circles.

I'm definitely not saying it's a cure all, but it has certainly helped me. Good luck!
|

replied February 8th, 2013
numbness
Hi there everyone, I wanted to contribute some words on this conversation. Though they won't be of much medical help or have any explanations (sorry for that). But here's what happend to me. Now please keep in mind that after reading this, it's probably important to say that I've had what seems to be a head cold for 2 days. I was fast asleep when all of a sudden, I was awoken by a pain deep in the back of my mouth. It was what's left of my very last tooth on my left side. The tooth itself is basically non-existent. The gum is very swollen and this pain is different than anything I've ever felt in regards to my teeth. Which is what scared me even more because I fear a really bad infection. So once that had me up and out of bed in a semi-panic all of a sudden I noticed my front tooth was numb. Then gradually the whole left side of my mouth and under my left nostril. My ear is hurting a little bit too and I have a slight sharp pain in the left side of my temple on my forehead. I started to get some feeling back in my teeth again and then I started to get stuffed up from the cold and the numbness came right back. It seems to make sense that it could be related to sinuses which I've never really had a problem with before. Its just so strange because I can breath thru my nose but yet I'm so stuffed up. I blow hard and nothing comes out. I tried getting on all four knees with my head hanging low but to no avail. I tried putting my head between my legs but to no avail. Uggh I need some relief. I just hope it is sinuses and not a more serious issue. :-/ Goodluck everyone. It certainly is an odd feeling...
|

replied February 19th, 2013
tooth numb
had same issue. Started off with a numbing sensation starting at my front right incisor then goes through all teeth behind it on right upper side. It was so bad the first two times I went to an emergency dentist and had them give me shots in my gums to numb pain. still unbearable pain then suddenly stops. Now whenever I feel my teeth start to get numb I figured out it is my sinus which is affecting a nerve in the upper mouth. find your own unique way to clear your sinus and the pain stops immediately.
|

replied June 4th, 2013
The exact same thing just happened to me! I had the flu for around 8 days and now just have a runny nose. I was asleep on a flight when I woke up to the most terrible pain in the left side of my nose and my upper left side teeth were all numb. The pain in my nose was really bad! It started at my top left tooth and went back to my molars. I was freaking out thinking I might be having some sort of stroke! And I had just taken lots of vitamins that I had never had before. As the plane started to decend, I felt the numbness in my teeth go away and slowly the pressure in my left sinus go down and my ears started screeching and popping. I feel fine now although I have got pain in my left sinus. I tried to blow my left nostril but its as if there is a big blob up there that won't come out. From my research I think my left sinus might be infected or severely blocked and the pressure from that plus the altitude put pressure on my maxillary nerve and made my teeth go numb! It was so scary! I'm glad I'm all back to normal now!
|

replied July 19th, 2013
Face went numb after blowing nose too hard
I had the same problem.. I blew my nose too hard, and within 30 seconds I noticed my front right teeth going numb, i started to think if whether I took something unknowingly that might have caused it, but I hadn't. It felt like I just got a shot of novocain. After 10 minutes the numbness spread to my right lip, then my nose and whole right side of my face. I had no pain at this point but I started getting worried. I read this post online and figured it was a common issue, I spoke to my mother who thought the problem could be a stroke, I didn't think it was a stroke because that is usually accompanied by numbness in the arms and legs. After about 15-20 minutes I started to feel pain and pressure. The pain got worse and worse over the course of about 30-45 minutes, I immediately took some Advil and even chewed one up to make it work faster it was an awful taste, but the pain was almost unbearable. I tried to sit down with my head down and took deep breaths, this didn't help either. I decided to go to Walmart and get some nasal rinse and some Sudafed. While I was at Walmart I noticed that my front teeth had regained some feeling and the pain and pressure was going away. I did the sinus rinse in my car and a lot of mucus came out. I never experienced the sound of my nose opening up or draining like other people have described, and the pain and numbness didn't go away abruptly either, it gradually faded out. Now after an hour and a half and after I did the sinus rinse and used the Sudafed, the numbness has gone away by about 65% and the pain and pressure is down by about 80%. I am still waiting for it to go away completely, what a strange experience this was, I have never had anything like this happen before. I learned that it's not good to blow your nose too hard, you could end up with this problem. Hopefully it goes away completely soon.
|

replied September 11th, 2013
I have numbness, tingling and sometimes burning in my upper gums. Upper from teeth numbness too. My doctors wants me to get an MRI to see if I have MS. I found that chewing spearmint or peppermint gum helps to relief the symptoms.
|

replied December 8th, 2013
pain - numbness - tightness in my teeth after hit in the nose..?
Hey, so I was browsing around trying to find out what is wrong with me, but I got punched on the right side side of my nose where it meets my "cheek" right below the inner part of my eye and it instantly felt like there was pressure-numbness in three teeth on the front-right side of my mouth. its been over 4 months now and the feeling hasn't gone away. even when I brush my teeth, its just a very strange uncomfortable numb constriction type feeling there and or if I run my finger down the side ridge of my nose, when I hit that spot where I got hit, I can feel it more prevalent in my teeth as if I were touching them. does ANYONE know what this could possibly be? im assuming this is not going to go away, and its like having an eyelash in your eye constantly, everyday and would like some helpful feedback. comments would be appreciated, or PM me.
thanks.
|

replied February 27th, 2014
Tooth numbness
I flew to Rome Thursday morning, no problems, had a great time sightseeing etc, went to bed Thursday night woke up Friday morning with tooth pain, as if I'd been grinding my teeth in my sleep (which I don't usually do). Through Friday the ache lessened and went away completely by Friday night. Saturday no problems , Sunday morning no problems, flew home Sunday afternoon. As the plane rose the pain started and got extremely bad to the extent that I was sweating profusely and felt like crying (not good being a 53 year old male).
As the plane descended the pain lessened and went away but left me with numb teeth from the top front all round to the right, no pain though just a strange feeling.
I went to the dentist who took xrays and prodded about, he couldn't find anything wrong with my teeth.
A week later my teeth are still numb.
I am in good health, no cold no sinus problems....wierd.
|