Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

Gallbladder And Headache Relation?

Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
Hi I suspect I have problems with my gallbladder which im having ultrasound for this coming monday usual symtoms have been vomiting intermittent aches upper abdo just under right ribs ive had the occasional twinge of pain there too upper bk ache and this week lightheadedness and headches on a daily basis my question is can gallbladder issues cause headaches?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper redgirl13
|

replied August 25th, 2006
Gallbladder
I have the exact same symptoms and was diagnosed with "abdominal pain". This is the 3rd such attack. I fasted a few months back and the symptoms disappeared so I think i'm going to try this that I found on the web:
Sensiblehealth.Com/gallbladder.html
before I go back to the emergency room. The pain is not so bad-yet.

Good luck
|

replied March 19th, 2009
gall bladder and headaches
I have gallbladder pain and it is always accompanied by right-side headache. Usually worse right before dawn. Doctors insist there is no relation - I insist there is. Just had my gallbladder out. Let's hope these headaches now disappear.
|

replied April 21st, 2009
Gallbladder and headaches
I have had horrible headaches after eating. I also have had abdo. pain. I have been through the ringer. Seen too many doc's. I t has been going on for 8mths. now. They act like I am crazy and totally ingnore the headache after I eat thing. I have had ton's of blood work. Been given all kinds of med's which finally realized weren't helping at all. So I threw that money away. Through all of this I found I have a totally unrelated hereditary blood disorder(hemochromotosis). I also found out the hard way that I am allergic to anti-inflamatory med's. I have spent about $2,000.00 dollars on test's and med's. I knew something was wrong but could not find a dr. to help me or take me seriously. Finally about two month's ago I started losing weight (20 lbs.). I work for a GI Doc. (go figure). All of my co-workers thought I was crazy. The anesthesioogists I also work with which are my real friends were getting very concerened and started commenting on my rapid weight loss and the fact that it happened so quickly in front of my GI Dr. and that got some attention along with me insisting that I know my body and I now something is wrong this was not normal for me. About two weeks ago my stomach was killing me so I reached down and felt that area, there was a huge lump on my right side under my ribs and it moved. That is when I returned to work and the to a scheduled visit that afternoon with my GI doc. He did a stat CT scan nothing. Although for two months my labs were abnormal ANA elavated, white blood cell count up. All the while still suffering from the headaches after eating, pain on the right side of my stomach and in the abdominal are that never went away. Next the EGD (scope of stomach) and colonoscopy. Found nothing. Just did the HIDA scan of the gallbladder ordered by my GI Doc. on 4/20/09 came back that my gallbladder was virtually dead only functioning at 2%. I cried thinking that we have finally found out what is wrong. I go for surgery to have it removed and anything else removable in there (lol). It has been a terrible experience. I have had unbelievable comments and also you find out who your friends really are as well. They don't want to hear it and think your crazy too. Guess they really never were friends after all. I hope this helps anyone out there not have to get to this point to find out what to do. Also remember the Dr. works for you not the other way around. Be respectful, but it does not hurt to request and at times insist on certain test's and also refuse some of the test's. After all the simple fact that the pain was located where it was and the symptom's I was having these less expensive test's could have been done first and found the problem along time ago. Now I am going to have to pay around $1000.00 more for this surgery. The sad thing is I have insurance and it has still cost me this much, amazing.
Soon to be PAIN FREE!!!
|

replied August 19th, 2013
I would love to know if you have had relief from headpain. Thank you!
|

replied September 13th, 2011
gall-bladder and headaches
For years (10+) I suffered with severe headaches and migraines. For years I went to the doctors, even a Neurologist.
For years (6+)they told me there was nothing wrong, just "migraines" and gave me the usual meds.
Then, one day, I woke up vomiting. There was NO pain anywhere, just nausea. Vomited for 3 days, I could take no food, no fluids, no rest, no sleep.
Went to the hospital at 1am.. They did an ultra sound my gall-bladder was the size of a large grapefruit. By 5am, it was out. I was out 5 days later and haven't had a headache since. That was 4 years ago.
I asked my docs and the Neuro: Is there a connection between my headaches and my gall-bladder? The answer was a unanimous, "no."
But the anguished memory of that horrible pain in my head that made me wish, beg and pray that I could die and get relief (btw, I never, never experienced pain from my gall-bladder) and the freedom of being totally and completely headache-free tells me, LOUDLY, that there was some sort of connection.
The connection is true for me. As to why I didn't have pain from the years-long dysfunctional gall bladder? I have no idea. The docs tell me "it was all in your head."
Well, I can vouch for the connection but I doubt very seriously that my gall-bladder was hurting *IN* my head. And I remember how my mother writhed in agony when hers used to hurt... So, can anyone tell me why I never experienced the agonizing pain all gall-bladder sufferers describe?
Thank you
|

replied November 9th, 2011
Thank you Eve for sharing your story. My mom has been having headaches for years and since Jan of this year she's been having constant unbearable headaches. She's had every test you can think of and her Nero Dr. has refused to change her "migraine" medicine. She is having her gall bladder out this Friday. She lost her colon 2 years ago and she never had pain anywhere except her head. She's been crying and wanting to die for several months now. The Drs. say she's having rebound headaches, tension headaches and migraines. It's almost like they are calling her a drug seeking pill popping ..... and she is NOT! She just wants help. I agree with you VERY LOUDLY there IS a connection with gallbladder and headaches! I guess a few people only SUFFER with the headaches and no other symptom. I pray mom has the pain free days like you are having. She's 64 and has never had problems with headaches until 2 years ago. Thank you again for the encouragement.
|

replied November 13th, 2011
My gallbladder
I have been dealing with gallbladder attacks since I was 7months pregnant with my son 22 years ago in 1989. It began with cramping in my upper back, shoulder blade area. It lasted for about 2 hours. It hurt so bad I was flat on the floor. For the first several years it only happened once a year and I thought it was a muscle issue. I didn't have a good physician because I was told it was muscular. So for years I delt with it once or twice a year. It usually happened in the middle of the night after eating Thanksgiving dinner or New Years Eve, etc. I went to the emergency room twice but by the time they got me to the point of doing a test the pain would be gone. In 2006 I now had a better doctor and she ordered a HIDA scan. It showed that my gallbladder was working at 87%. This was good. I went home and the pain went away for a couple years. Then in 2009 the pain came back however this time I also had a throb under my right ribcage. I can describe it as a throb/quick shooting pain. I also had chest pains from time to time. I went to see a surgeon who suggested it might be my gallbladder. He referred me to a Gasterenologist. She ordered another HIDA scan. She said she would send results to my primary care physician and told me the results were borderline. This was basically incorrect. The symptoms again went away for a few months. I decided to try to correct it by what I ate. I started eating more fruit which helped tremendously. Now we are in November 2011. I went to dinner with friends, drank a couple glasses of red wine, ate pasta with sausage and I've been miserable for over a week. I went to my primary care physician and she said the HIDA scan didn't warrant a gallbladder issue. It turns out she never received a copy of the one done in 2009. The 2009 HIDA scan showed my gallbladder was at 24%! She had no idea as the stupid gasternologist never sent it to her. Here it is, 2011 and I can't imagine what it's at now...perhaps 1%? My current symptoms are pain under my right ribcage, pain in my upper back, a strange headache that sends tingling sensations all over my head and different parts of my body. I'm waking up with a quick throb of arteries in my legs. The worst thing is that I'm extremely light headed. I'm waking up around midnight feeling as if I'm going to pass out. It sometimes lasts all day and interferes with my walking. My legs go weak, my ears feel clogged all of a sudden, my head feels heavy. I have to walk around the house for hours. The light headeness makes me nauseous. I'm wondering if my gallbladder is swelling and pressing on an artery.
Needless to say, my gallbladder is coming out on Tuesday.
Over the past 22 years I have been to the ER twice, two heart doctors. 2 HIDA scans, several ultra sounds, blood tests, physical therapy sessions. I have not felt well, my husband was beginning to think I was a hypercondriac.
I forgot to mention another symptom of feeling what I describe as an electric shock through my mid section.
My reasoning for putting out this blog is to give others info on my symptoms. Don't wait years or even months to get a HIDAscan and/or an ultra sound. If your gallbladder is at 40% or less, get it out!
Today is Saturday and I've been eating fruit and bread...no butter....and fish that is baked...no sauce or butter since Friday.. I'm hoping I make it until Tuesday so that the surgeon I chose can perform the surgery. If it gets worse or I get a temperature I will have to go to the ER and have them do it.. The amount of money that i have spent on this through the years is disgusting. Not to mention the worry and stress worrying what is wrong with me. I hope the pain goes away after surgery but anything has got to be better than what I have been going through.
Tracy from Oregon
|

replied October 8th, 2012
Weird gallbladder symptoms
I have had these same symptoms. I was beginning to think I was crazy! How do you feel after the surgury? My ultrasound came back fine and I'm waiting to get the HIDA scan. My symptoms started off as extreme fatigue then one morning I woke up completely disoriented and lightheaded, and I felt a lot of pressure in my ears. I get heart arrhythmia after I eat sometimes and headaches that last for days without a break. I've had a few twinges of pain on my right side but nothing severe and I get middle back pain at night. My doctor initially thought I had acid reflux and put me on a PPI. I stopped taking them because I almost think they make me feel worse. I was on them for 3 weeks and my digestive system has been completely out of whack ever since. I don't know if the pills did it or if its the gallbladder getting worse. I've only felt this way for 2 months and the doctor bills are already piling up. This is all so frustrating. As much as I don't want to have surgury I really just want them to find out whats wrong with me so I can work on feeling better.
|

replied August 19th, 2013
How are you doing? Have you had your gallbladder out?
|

replied March 23rd, 2014
Dear Tracy,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience of gaulbladder symtoms and issues. I have never suffered with headaches or migranes however for the past 13 months I have sometims been experiencing funny dizzy wierd head sensations. I had been diaganosed with Gaulstones some 14 years ago and when surgery time came up symptoms had gone. The flavour was not to have your qaulbalder out if possible so I didnt.

I thought I was ok however looking back now I can see there were aother symptoms at play. I bloat easy, get hot at night, funny body pain, then the headaches started and all manner of tests and MRI completed. Dr put me on low bloodpressure meds that assist with migrane. This has helped head aches till now but they are coming back. I started experiencing dissiness after eating, legs week when I walk at times, throb in right lower leg, blocked feeling in my digestion and at times my heart would start to race. I started with twinges on my right side last year and this unexplained shock in my mid system when I sat down. Now there is mostly constant pain inbetween my ribs and hip going through front to back right side. I have never heard untill looking at this site of people mentioning the function of their gaulbladder! The way I feel right now and the fact that I have just realised my gaulbladder is working at mostlikely nil excistant makes me believe I now have a reason for why I have been feeling crap, tired, now energy and experiencing alsorts of pain. Thank you so much for sharing your information everyone, it really is comforting and validating not all of us can be wrong. There is more to gaulbladder issues than meet the eye!
|

replied July 14th, 2014
I have all the symptoms you do for the last 3.5 years. No gallstones, though. Have had thyroid issues though and all started with pregnancy. Thanks for sharing. Going to ask for HIDA scan. Tired of these terrible headaches after eating and my pain will radio down my right hip and up to my right eyeball. Not intense pain like typical gallstone pain, but constant throbbing/aching pain. Also had weak right arm and leg. Had every other test. I also have abdominal swelling or severe bloating. It used to come and go and now it's constant. My hair also dries out really easily. Anyone else had hair issues?
|

replied November 14th, 2011
Another Gallbladder Sufferer
Hello, I am so sorry that we all have gone through all this because I have experienced the same thing!!!! People who are supposidly my "family" and "friends" didn't listen to me and were throwing me under the bus and rolling back over me when I was having gall bladder attacks! Can you imagine??? There is nothing worse than having a major health issue and feeling completely abanndonned by certain members of your own family.
I have pain in my upper right abdomin, especially after I eat. It feels like a blown up balloon and is irritated and burning inside. I have had major pain all over my abdomin area. I have had nausea lasting for days on end. I was even down to 95 pounds at one point because I couldn't eat. I have light headedness too. I get headaches almost every day. I have had the pain in my legs too! I even have woken up at night and it feels like something is expanding in my calves. I get tingling also in my extremities and burning in my hands at night.
The problem is that there are too many doctors not going their jobs!!! I have seen 4 GI doctors, 3 primary care physicians, & 4 surgeons and 1 trip to the ER. 3 of the GI doctors said it's IBS. 2 primary care physicians say is not the gallbladder and wanted to put me on antidepressants. Can you imagine that???? They can't diagnose the problem or better just want to protect the GI doctor who says it's IBS so let's just put her on antidepressants. That make perfect sense!!!1 surgeon says he's not sure. When I told the first GI doctor about the nausea and burping, all he said was "that can happen" and "we don't remove the gallbladder unless you have pain shooting up through your shoulder." What a lie! Some have that symptom and some don't!
We have to stay on top of our own health, otherwise we are at the mercy of incompetant people who actually are just tossing out light opinions and billing at $ 400 per 15 minute visit. I finally made it to a GI doctor who cares and said "you know the gallbladder can be a tricky thing." You all are right, we have to get our gall bladders removed! I am deciding on a surgeon now. Please keep me posted on your progress and I'll do likewise. Thank God there are people who have gone through this same problem and know that the gallbladder can cause a host of problems.
|

replied November 16th, 2011
I can definitely relate to feeling like folks think you're crazy, but what you're dealing with health-wise is definitely real. I've had some sort of headache everyday for almost a month--a CT scan has come back normal. I've also experienced dizziness. I've been to ER twice. And I'm constantly told that since I have a history of migraines, it's no big deal. "You've got a headache...deal with it." But nothing that I take Rx or OTC stops them.

Well last week, Monday, I had what I thought was heartburn or gastritis. I have a history of gastritis, but this was different because I had pain under my rib cage on the right side and I was totally nauseated all day. The nausea started early in the morning while I was preparing for work. I ate my usual oatmeal (with a little rice milk)--eating is a gut reaction for me, having had gastritis in the past (tummy hurts when empty...eating makes if better). But as the day wore on the pain got worse. The next day, when I described it to my coworker, she said it was classic gallbladder symptoms--she'd had hers out years before. The pain subsided that evening, but came back on that Wednesday...no burning in my upper ab/center like before, just the pain under the right rib cage, radiating to my back and nausea like before. I had a doctor's appointment that day as a follow up for the headahces anyway, so I went and told him of my new symptoms. He ordered an ultrasound on my gallbladder, liver, spleen, pancreas, and kidneys and it all came back normal.

Needless to say I'm frustrated...and that's an understatement. I've only had tinges of the "under-rib gage" pain since then, but now I'm experiencing some kind of heartburn everyday. And the headaches have slowed in frequency, but I've got one today (first day in over 3 days...the break from the headaches was amazing! I felt great!).

I think my next move is to go back to my family practicioner if the intense pain comes back and ask for a HIDA scan. I don't know. I'm easily dismayed because I feel like all my docs think I'm a hypercondriac.

Has anyone else experienced an overabundance of heartburn in between actual gallbladder attacks? What kind of headaches are you guys getting? Can you describe them, please.
|

Yes, heartburn too!
Yes, but it's so hard to say what it is because pain can be referred and the point of origin is not in pain! What can happen is the gallbladder starts causing all kinds of symptoms, like acid reflux, etc. I am finally getting my gallbladder out and hoping that solves the problem. I have sludge, which doesn't always show on an ultasound. You have to have good docs who can diagnose without tests. Test are not the answer, the patient telling an true doctor their symptions and that true doc knowing what it is is the answer!!! I've had about 7 docs tell me "the sludge means nothing" and 7 tell me "sludge is small stones reeking havoc!" the only difference is the quality of the doctors.
|

Yes, heartburn too!
Yes, but it's so hard to say what it is because pain can be referred and the point of origin is not in pain! What can happen is the gallbladder starts causing all kinds of symptoms, like acid reflux, etc. I am finally getting my gallbladder out and hoping that solves the problem. I have sludge, which doesn't always show on an ultasound. You have to have good docs who can diagnose without tests. Test are not the answer, the patient telling an true doctor their symptions and that true doc knowing what it is is the answer!!! I've had about 7 docs tell me "the sludge means nothing" and 7 tell me "sludge is small stones reeking havoc!" the only difference is the quality of the doctors.
|

replied November 22nd, 2011
Yesterday I felt amazing. When I went to bed, I had some cramping, but nothing major. Now I feel like I'm freezing (no fever). I had more of a back pain with nausea most of the day. I felt very dizzy by the afternoon, and now have a horrible headache. I've had some shooting pains in my leg since I've gotten into bed (not too many), but still, that's not normal. I am so fatigued. I was hoping after a bowel movement and release of some gas I would feel better. Still don't. I'm scheduled for removal in 4 weeks, which after today seems like an eternity. At first I was annoyed that they just automatically wanted to remove it without giving me a chance to try to fix it. Now I'm so grateful that I have had only one ER visit, and will have 2 doc visits prior to surgery. I can't believe how much grief a lot of people go through when they know they are sick. So far my friends and family are on my side, but then again, I've only been suffering for a couple of weeks. I wish you the best.
|

replied November 17th, 2011
I've gotta share this with some of you who may have a little more insight...

Exactly 2 hours ago I had my usual breakfast--peaches & cream oatmeal with a little rice milk. I was just hit instantaneous headache, dizziness, nausea, and sweating...and constipation is just an on-going thing. No abdominal pain other than very mild tinges in the upper right/rib cage area. Anybody else have any similar experiences?
|

replied September 5th, 2013
Headache right side
Right side head aches can definetly be caused by Gallstones or gallbladder disease. Eat only small meals no skipping meals cause gallbladder needs regular release of bile. No dairy eggs ect. If you get hungry eat a baked potato with virgin olive oil. Drink lots of water with fresh lemon not bottled lemon. I have a gallstone and have been managing it thru diet.
|

replied May 30th, 2014
Gall Bladder ~ related symptoms, options.
I have to agree with spurgeon687 ~ it can be managed with diet if the gallbladder is not to far gone with disease. I have a family history of gallbladder issues and am determined to find a way to keep mine. The challenge is finding food to eat that doesn't trigger problems. I have the tenderness and occasional cramping just under my rib cage right front...and if I eat something I know I shouldn't [like the frozen potstickers last night...], I pay the next day with nausea and or headache. The gallbladder is not able to produce the bile needed to process these foods. Anything with grain and/or sugar can trigger a problem. I noticed several posts mentioned folks having reactions eating some sort of flavored oatmeal...well, it's a grain, and it's loaded with sugar. I've cut way back on my dairy, and if I do eat dairy, I make sure it's grass finished organic. It's more expensive, which means I don't eat it very often! lol Fresh-squeezed lemon juice in warm water first thing in the morning, lots of water during the day, a tablespoon of organic, cold pressed virgin olive oil before each meal, and fasts and cleanses...all can help the gallbladder function better, and repair itself. If the gall bladder is removed, you must supplement with something EVERY TIME YOU EAT ANYTHING to replace the bile that the gallbladder once provided, for LIFE.
I really don't want that...
We'll see.
|
Quick Reply