Medical Questions > Parenting > Infants Forum

MSG bad for babies ?

Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....
Hi I found out a couple of days ago that buffets put msg in their food to make you feel more full. Is msg bad for the baby??
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 19th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
??
First of all whats msg?
|

replied January 19th, 2004
Msg
I thought msg was sodium/salt. If that's the answer then no it won't hurt the baby. I do know that processed foods like bologna and hot dogs(not the all beef ones.) and foods that contain aspertaine or nutrasweet are a good thing to stay away from. Also diet soda and fat free foods are not good.
I have read that regular amounts of salt are ok, as your body needs a little more while pregnant. If your not sure about something just don't eat it until you know if it's ok or not.
|

replied January 20th, 2004
Experienced User
This is a practice commonly done in chinese food. It is recommended that during pregnancy you stay away from msg's. If you've had some, I wouldn't panic about it. But otherwise, stay away from chinese food and you'll be fine!
|

replied January 18th, 2009
MSG
monosodium glutamate.
It's a flavour enhancer and is of no detriment to you or the baby. BREASTMILK contains glutamate...
MSG has less 'salt' than table salt...
it's naturally occuring in some foods, and added to others. Not a biggy.
Cheers.
|

User Profile
replied January 20th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Re: MSG bad for babies ?
Jackiebelle wrote:
Hi I found out a couple of days ago that buffets put msg in their food to make you feel more full. Is msg bad for the baby??

Actually, none of the above are correct. Monosodium Glutemate in Chinese food or MSG is a form of salt, but it is not natural. It is a chemically manufactured and produced flavor enhancer that is used like salt, but is not actually salt. Less in more with MSG, and it saves companies a lot of money, and is more pleasing to the salty craving.

However, it is not safe for many people. You will find it in your spice section of your grocery store, in canned soups, sauces, and things like ramen noodles. It is known to cause headaches, gastric problems, and other adverse reactions.

Do not feed foods with manufactured MSG to your baby, if anything to wait til she is older to see if it will adversely effect her, or even just to keep her for desiring more and more foods that aren't in their natural state (high in processed sugar, fat, and salt.) In many foods it comes naturally like tomatoes and other produce, and breastmilk too, this is fine. The difference is that in these foods, it is natural.
|

replied January 26th, 2009
MSG bad for babies
If you do some research you will find that msg IS very bad for everyone! Its not salt. It is not natural. It sends a message to the brain that you what to eat. It causes depression and migraines. It also has the same effect on the brain as cocaine, just much slower. Aspartame and msg is the two most dangerous stuff to give to a infant, toddler, teenager.
|
Users who thank vrouvandieplaas for this post: mominashoe 

replied February 8th, 2010
MSG and Babies
Here is my very brief crash course in neurobiology...

Glutamate is the most excitatory neurotransmitter in the vertebrate nervous system. It is linked to synaptic plasticity (that is, it has the ability to "remodel" the synapses especially in the hippocampus and neocortex), and thus plays a key role in the processes of learning and memory.

This is great, glutamate is key to learning and memory...but what if there is too much glutamate?

Too much glutamate is what happens during a stroke or during epilepsy. Figuratively, the brain cannot clear away all the excess glutamate and it excites the neuron to death. A perfectly normal neurotransmitter can be excitotoxic in large enough quantities.

Monosodium "Glutamate," just as the name implies, contains glutamate. For some reason, MSG can have greater excitotoxic effect in babies brains. This is not so common for adults.

Also, as a side, aspartame has a very similar chemical structure to glutamate. Once it is broken down in the body, it basically becomes glutamate. In lab rats it has been shown to have the excitotoxic effects associated with excess glutamate (when given in large enough quantities).

But don't take my word for it...do some research on glutamate.
|
Users who thank mill3301 for this post: mominashoe 

replied February 26th, 2010
I have a baby that is sensitive to glutamate. I Have found this out by trial and error. Many people, my doctor included, think i am mistaken and it is very frustrating not to be believed. Anyone with a child with sleeping difficulties or hyperactive issues should research what their children are eating and the effects of msg in the diet. And make themselves aware of how msg is hidden in foods. It isnt my intent to cause alarm. I have two other children that have shown no intolerance to msg. But i really believe my youngest would be on her way to an attention deficit disorder at the very least if she continued to have this in her diet.
|
Users who thank woodali1 for this post: mominashoe 

replied May 25th, 2012
Dangerous foods!
I too have heard that MSG in horrible for your health. Physical health can be reversed, mental health is likely permanent. MSG, ASPERTAME, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, CORN SYRUP, SUCRALOSE, AND FLOURIDE ARE DANGEROUS! PLEASE know what you are eating, and more importantly what you are feeding your children!
|

replied May 25th, 2012
Dangerous foods!
I too have heard that MSG in horrible for your health. Physical health can be reversed, mental health is likely permanent. MSG, ASPERTAME, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, CORN SYRUP, SUCRALOSE, AND FLOURIDE ARE DANGEROUS! PLEASE know what you are eating, and more importantly what you are feeding your children!
|

replied May 25th, 2012
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Andrijana Shterjovska
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Deepak Anvekar
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov