Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Why Does My Throat Do This? (Page 1)

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
I'm not sure if allergies is the correct place to put it, but my voice teacher said it might be allergies. Well, I am 24, and for as long as I can remember my throat has made this strange growling noise. It sounds very similar to your stomach growling, or a burp trying to come up. I can can feel my throat rumble a little. And while it doesn't hurt, it is very annoying and can be pretty embarrasing because I can't seem to control it. It usually occurs after I have eaten, and especially if I drink anything carbonated. Even if I cut out carboantion it can still be there from time to time. I also used to have a very bad habit of clearing my throat, and that comes back every now and then. I don't know if the two are related. And just for the record, I think even when I have enough water I can sometimes have this problem. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this??? :?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper laurabethchrist
|

replied November 19th, 2006
Re: Why Does My Throat Do This?
laurabethchrist wrote:
i'm not sure if allergies is the correct place to put it, but my voice teacher said it might be allergies. Well, I am 24, and for as long as I can remember my throat has made this strange growling noise. It sounds very similar to your stomach growling, or a burp trying to come up. I can can feel my throat rumble a little. And while it doesn't hurt, it is very annoying and can be pretty embarrasing because I can't seem to control it. It usually occurs after I have eaten, and especially if I drink anything carbonated. Even if I cut out carboantion it can still be there from time to time. I also used to have a very bad habit of clearing my throat, and that comes back every now and then. I don't know if the two are related. And just for the record, I think even when I have enough water I can sometimes have this problem. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this??? Confused

i get the same thing sometimes. It used to happen alot as a child. I don't know if it's an allergy though it could be, I sometimes get this after I eat fish which I high;ly suspect i'm allergic to. Though as a child, i'd sometimes get it for no reason. I just put it down to wind escaping as I rarely burped as a child.

Wouldn't worry about it unless it's troublesome to you or comes with other signs. Smile
|

replied January 30th, 2012
i get a similar problem however i dont get it when lying flat on my back and its whet when i am standing up. try not to slouch and keep your chest out when sitting and try to sit up really straight. this helps me anyway Smile
|

replied November 21st, 2006
Wow
I get that too..

Its weird because I have no idea what it is.. And reading that other people have that problem makes me feel a little better.. Like I could be in a silent room and all of a sudden my throught will make like this growling noise!! It does happen after I eat so I aways thought it might be some kind of heart burn?
|

replied November 22nd, 2006
it does happen after I eat so I aways thought it might be some kind of heart burn?

could well be, never thought of that. Whatever it is, I think it's a normal thing anyways.
|

replied July 1st, 2009
I'm 14 and I've had it for a few years now. i'm a little worried about it- if i drink a lot of water or eat a lot it sometimes flares up- it's embarresing i can kind of feel it come up sort of like a burp and my throat vibrates/rumbles. it is very annoying-is it normal?
|

replied December 4th, 2009
My boyfriend has the same problem and I think we can equate it to acid in the esophagus which is the passage between the pharynx and the stomach. We get a good laugh out of it but it does get rather annoying depending on when and where he does it LOL!
|

replied August 12th, 2010
I get this too! HATE IT!
God, this happens to me (happening right now). Very embarassing and drives me crazy! Almost always happens after a filling meal! It's reeeeeeaaaaaaaaalllllllllyyyyyy annoying! I hate it and I feel a vibrating feeling in my throat! I've had it for AGES. People usually laugh and/or look at me weirdly when it happens... I really don't like it!
|

replied November 15th, 2010
No way! This happens to me to - it has for years now! It had stopped for a while, but within the past week I had a cold and a one day flu and now my throat is back to rumbling. Sometimes it does it so much it makes me feel like I'm going to throw up, and right now it actually hurts (in my chest). There has to be some way to make this stop.
|

replied January 30th, 2012
i get this to. althought i find it helps if you sit up really straight and try to keep your stomach out. if you bend over or lean over a table it happens more. well that works for me anyway
|

replied November 16th, 2010
I doubt it's heartburn as that is meant to cause a burning sensation...
|

replied April 29th, 2011
I have this too. I think it's because I rarely burped when I was young. And still hardly ever burp. I've noticed when I feel like I'm going to throw up the only thing that comes out are really big burps. I've found out that when my throat starts to rumble I can reach my finger to my gag reflex and it makes me burp. After this I feel much better and the rumbling goes away until the next time I eat a big meal. I think this happens because my body isn't used to burping alot so all the air in my stomach builds up. These were just my findings. If anyone else could try this and see if it works for you too let me know!
|

replied December 11th, 2011
Well I suffer from this quite frequently, regardless of how much I've eaten but also suffer from frequent severe burning sensations in my throat too... to the point where I've begun to fear something more sinister. I'm just kind of relieved I'm not alone & not quite as concerned now Smile
|

replied December 22nd, 2011
Why does my throat do this?
All these posts from the past several years, help me to feel not so alone with this rumbling/growling between my throat and lower esophagus. I've had this and some reflux for 5-6 years, and finally had an endoscopy, earlier this month. I'm 58 and turns out that I have "irritation/erosion" of the lower esophagus, and a stomach ulcer. I'm still trying to figure out what sets this off. Another post mentioned "eating too much" and also "carbonation" which are 2 culprits, but I'm trying to sort them out. :/
|

replied June 14th, 2012
Hi I too also have this exact symtom had the procedure where they stuck something down my throat and found i had a little bleeding ulcer but i keep havin discomfort and feelin nauseated n at times throw up leavin my teeth very stainy n distasteful. my queezin.rumblin growling happens at night early mornin when im layin down. I have another procedure coming up at the VA where this time theyre gonna go anally this time. Any suggestions is appreciated!!!
|

replied January 26th, 2012
I too have this issue. I am not one to burp either, as most of you. I wonder if that is the culprit? It's like an inside burp in my throat that just will not go away. I have had this bout now for about 2 weeks, ever since I added some italian sausage to my spaghetti Sunday gravy. It's yummy, but if this is the price to pay, it's not worth it.
|

replied April 9th, 2012
My throat does the exact thing. I hate it.
I agree with everyone. I litterly thought I was the only one. My throat is so embarrassing at school. Usually when it starts coming up, I drink some water to keep it quiet. I tell my mom about it (which is a nurse) and she said she is not gonna take me to the doctor unless it starts hurting. She doesn't understand how embarrassing this can be. We have reading day every Monday and people look at me like there's something wrong with me. Makes me feel all alone and like I want to cry. I hate it. My doctor doesn't even know what I'm talking about.
|

replied April 9th, 2012
My throat does the exact thing. I hate it.
I agree with everyone. I litterly thought I was the only one. My throat is so embarrassing at school. Usually when it starts coming up, I drink some water to keep it quiet. I tell my mom about it (which is a nurse) and she said she is not gonna take me to the doctor unless it starts hurting. She doesn't understand how embarrassing this can be. We have reading day every Monday and people look at me like there's something wrong with me. Makes me feel all alone and like I want to cry. I hate it. My doctor doesn't even know what I'm talking about.
|

replied June 27th, 2012
I've had this exact issue for years. I recently realized I have developed acid reflux & started taking OTC meds for the AR. The throat growling has also stopped. Smile I assume it's related bc AR meds stopped it. I would suspect heart burn meds could also help even if you don't have heart burn bc they seem to calm a lot of uncomfortable digestion symptoms. So you may try prevacid or heart burn meds to see if either works for you. If you also Start having throat issues or heart burn symptoms (chest pain, burning in throat, etc) then you may have also developed acid reflux like I did. There is a non-evasive procedure that can be done which I plan to look into. It helped my dad a lot. His got to the point of feeling like something was stuck in his throat & sometimes not being able to swallow properly. The procedure helped significantly & wasn't a big deal at all. Smile as long as prefaced works, I will just keep doing that though.
|

replied July 11th, 2012
This happened to me for years and sometimes still does. I discovered that I'm a celiac ( meaning I'm allergic to wheat/gluten), and my throat would growl after I ate gluten. A few other things set it off like carbonation, but now it only happens when I accidentally eat food that has been contaminated with wheat/gluten. I wonder if some of you are celiacs or are gluten intolerant. Celiac disease causes a bunch of other problems, including hypothyroidism, diabetes, ulcers, and heartburn! I'm not a doctor, of course, but it can't hurt to try going gluten-free for a month or two to see if that makes a difference.
|

replied September 28th, 2012
Throat Rumbling=Big Deal?
This happens to me as well, I never really looked at it as a big problem, but I think at my next doctor's appointment I'll ask about it. It usually does happen after I eat a lot, but not for a long time. People usually don't care too much, although most people at school are jerks. I never really thought about it at all, until 5 minutes ago when my brother and I were sitting here and my throat was rumbling non-stop. If anyone else has advice, please help. I also figured I wasn't the only one.
|

replied November 27th, 2012
The same thing happens to me! It happens a random times for me.. I noticed it happens a lot when I'm in a silent situation and drinking soda (but it can't be caused by the soda, because it's almost all I drink and it doesn't always happen.) I agree, it's so embarrassing. There's no way to minimize the sound.
For the past few months, I've started to feel like I'm going to throw up - though this is separate from the growling noise, I'm going to mention it to my doctor. (A lot of good that will do. Never found one that even remotely understood what I was talking about.. Glad you guys understand!)
|

replied December 24th, 2012
throat making strange noises
omg i have the same problem, my throat keeps making these strange noises and i dont know what it is because of, and its been there for a while now, and i really want it to go. is it because of smoking?
|
12 >>