Medical Questions > Womens Health > Fertility Forum

What are the tests for Infertility and Sterility?

Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....
User Profile
i have 6 year old twins , i had a laparoscapy which was unconclusive in 98 but then had twins in 2000. havent been on contraceptive since 2000 and havent fell pregnant since. i suffer from pid not due to sexual infection but inconclusive. me and my partner have wanted a baby for two years now and nothing is happening. my doctor has dione a sperm test on my partner who is the father of my twins and everything is fine. he has taken blood tests to test my hormone levels and everything ok. any suggestions we are now going through process of doctor tests

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied August 4th, 2006
Fertility Answer A1311
The next step in diagnosing the possible causes of secondary sterility is to check the anatomy of the uterusthe and ovarian tubes. This is done using a procedure called, "Hystero-salpingo-graphy (HSG)" during which a doctor analyzes the anatomy and passage of the uterus and tubes. It is a contrast X-ray procedure. Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) can block the ovarian tubes. The final diagnostic procedure you can request is laparoscopy . Perhaps “in vitro” fertilization can help you and your partner conceive.
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Fertility , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.