Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

Laparoscopic Gallbladder Surgery Questions

Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
Hi,

i'm having surgery this coming monday to remove my gall bladder and I had a few questions. Obviously... Recovery time is one. So... For a quick background. I'm 24, extremely active (i go to the gym 2x a day.. Cardio and lifting), i've followed a low fat diet for over a year... I've been plagued with this mysterious gall bladder issue since april. Mysterious because my ultra sound, hida scan and gastro thingy all came back normal. Awesome!
Basically, I was wondering what to expect after surgery and what kind of diet I should follow directly after. Clearly I shouldn't dive into that cheeseburger and beer i've been craving.... As well as.. How soon can I start running and such again!?! Oh, and is the post surgery pain terribly unbearable? I don't take prescription pain meds. They make me uncomfortable and I sometimes hallucinate. So... I stay away.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper grimmrj
|

replied August 2nd, 2006
Diet Without a Gallbladder
Sorry you are having your gallbladder removed. Without it you won't be able to digest that fat in the cheeseburger. Or any fat, good or bad. I realize that most doctors tell you you don't need the gallbladder, but it supplies the bile that digests the fat. The people I know that have had it removed all suffered from depression, irritability, moodiness, and bloating and gas. All those symptoms probably caused by not digesting any fat. A good reference to diet after surgery for you is edit
|

replied August 6th, 2006
Re: Laparoscopic Gallbladder Surgery Questions
hi,

i'm having surgery this coming monday to remove my gall bladder and I had a few questions. Obviously... Recovery time is one. So... For a quick background. I'm 24, extremely active (i go to the gym 2x a day.. Cardio and lifting), i've followed a low fat diet for over a year... I've been plagued with this mysterious gall bladder issue since april. Mysterious because my ultra sound, hida scan and gastro thingy all came back normal. Awesome!
Basically, I was wondering what to expect after surgery and what kind of diet I should follow directly after. Clearly I shouldn't dive into that cheeseburger and beer i've been craving.... As well as.. How soon can I start running and such again!?! Oh, and is the post surgery pain terribly unbearable? I don't take prescription pain meds. They make me uncomfortable and I sometimes hallucinate. So... I stay away.

You will be fine after the surgery. I am physcially fit too I work out 4x a week and follow a low fat diet. I just had my gallbladder out on wednesday and feel fine. The only problem I was experiencing but it was only for one day was gas pains. That is gone and I am able to eat a normal diet without any problems. I will try to eat pizza but not right now. I would give it about two weeks to start running but that would only depend on how you feel, you might be able to do it sooner. Each person is different. Three days after surgery I tried going for a walk but it was a struggle. I am sure you know the gallbladder just stores bile the liver makes. You will be able to process fats normally without a problem. Good luck.
|

replied August 7th, 2006
Liver And Gallbladder Connection
I do hope you are an exception to the rule. The liver does make the bile stored in the gallbladder. But did you ever think about how much extra work it is for the liver to have to make bile on a constant basis? The liver does a lot of work without the added burden. I have helped a lot of people who have had their gallbladder taken out. The majority of them have long term consequences. The connection between the liver and the gallbladder problems to start with deserve some looking into. If the liver were functioning right and you were eating right chances are the gallbladder would not have malfunctioned to start with. I'm not saying it is your fault. I'm saying do some research into the foods on the market today. Most of them that come in a box or bag are not truly real food. Which means that the body cannot process them. That is what overworks and harms the liver to start with. Any partially hydrogenated fat or oil is not food. It is a chemical foreign to the body. Eating a low fat diet normally consists of eating chemically altered food. Your body need real fats. I do hope anyone out there that still has a gallbladder will try to save it. Your health will be much better in the long run. It is your responsibility to take care of it, not the doctors.
|

replied March 4th, 2009
Too late
I've just read all this interesting info, but too late. I had my gallbladder removed laparoscopically 5 days ago. I had gallstones for over five years with no symptoms. Nevertheless, several doctors told me that gallstones are usually related to hepatic cancer later in life. I'm already 61 and I didn't want to take any chances.
|

replied March 5th, 2009
Whilst I appreciate everyone is entitled to their view - I can't help but notice a real negativity towards Docs and their views on Gallbladder removal.

I am due to have mine out in the next few months and I'm already nervous about it. I'm on here for advice on recovery from those who have been through it - not people freaking me out with scare stories of how horrible my life will be without it - with NO real scientific fact to back it up.

Like it or not, the vast majority of docs worldwide agree that gallbladder removal works. I have no idea who or what qualifies people to tell me to keep mine but I'll take my chances with the bloke who studied at med school for years and not subtle advertising.

Scare mongering is not helpful to those of us already terrified and feeling paranoid from the intense pain we are feeling.

Please think about some of the things being posted here. Without knowing someones background, telling a person to keep their Gallbladder against the advice of their doctor could be extremly dangerous.
|

replied June 16th, 2009
Hi,
I just had mine removed on 06/06/09.I had to stay two days in the hospital because I had an infection and my blood cells count were low so, the docs wanted to be extra careful. I know most people will go home the same day or the day after.The recovery hasn't been difficult.The night after surgery I really freaked out with the pain caused by gas because it even extended to my right shoulder, but those gases will go away in a day or so. The nurses were asking me if I was passing gas so they could change my liquid diet. If you do not start passing out gases it's not recommended to start eating solid foods as the pain will get worse. don't try to take deep breath to relax because it'll make it worse!I started taking short walks about 5 hours after surgery because that helps with the gases. The first couple of days after surgery I had trouble sleeping becasue I had to sleep on the same position.I also had mild pain where the gallbladder used to be which was also reflected on my back, but nothing that would make me cry.The first couple of day I couldn't stand up straight becasue I felt my muscles sore, but now 10 days after surgery I am able to walk straight and take longer walks. I haven't tried the gym yet. I will wait one more week to see how I feel. In regards to the diet my surgeon told me I could have a normal diet. He didn't even mention low-fat;however, I am very careful with what I put in my mouth. The first 3 days after surgery I was still having a liquid diet becasue I felt comfortable drinking rather than having solid foods.Now, I eat solid foods but nothing fried and I'm away from dairy, plenty of veggies, soups, salads and fruits. I've lost already 5 pounds.I've heard some people complaining about diarrhea, but I haven't had any issue with that.
Good Luck with your surgery!
|

replied October 24th, 2009
I see my surgeon next Friday. I was in the hospital this
week for an attach but they couldn't take out the gall bladder because I have pneumonia. So I'm waiting for the pneumonia to clear to have the surgery. I've done some research and like what "Vista" above had to say. Not looking forward to it as I too am very active and not wanting anything to change because of this surgery. I'll let you know how I make out.
|

replied October 31st, 2009
In my situation, it turned out I was lucky to have the attacks and to go to the doctor and have mine removed. I have gallbladder cancer which wouldn't have been caught without it. It's rare, but I'm glad I didn't wait any longer than the month I did. Good luck to everyone having surgery.
|

replied December 4th, 2009
Gallbladder removal
I had surgery on Monday morning, came home by 12:30. Worst pain was on Tuesday, but it was not that bad. Everyone is different, so your tolerance level will be different. Wed was better, Thursday was better than Wed. and today on Friday continued improvement. Easier to move around, minimal pain....
Don't listen to ll the negative people here, what is their qualification and motive for their statements?
Based on my progress I think by next week I should be able to start some light activity. As for diet the doctors told me it will be normal, but should stay away from fatty foods and dairy. Well, those are things I should do anyway even if I did not have a problem, so they are right. Everything in moderation, so if you have the cheeseburger after recovery you should be fine, but don't have it every day or week. Save it for when you come across a really good one, maybe every month or two.

Good luck.
|

replied December 4th, 2009
I'm 49 had my Gallbladder out in April 09, I was sick for 8 months. I Had all the test and had no stones, the stupid thing just quit working......LOL I read all the stuff on the internet about getting out gallbladers and was worried to death. Well it's out!!!!!!Was in the hosiptal at 6am and was out by 3pm, the surgen used a scope, I have four little holes on my stomach. I dought in a few years if you will be able to see the scars.I took a couple pain pills when I came home and one more the morning after and that was it for the pain. I FEEL GREAT!!! WAS BACK TO WORK IN TEN DAYS, WITHIN A MONTH I HAVE BEEN EATING ANYTHING I WANT, IT DON'T MATTER WHAT IT IS I CAN EAT IT. I know a couple other people that have had theirs out and same thing,NO PROBLEMS!
|

replied August 18th, 2011
I will give everyone this advice concerning gallbladder surgery.... Make sure it is completely removed!!!! I had the lapro done in 2005, and suffered for nearly 6 yes with back pain. Docs couldn't find out why till they found out my gallbladder was only half removed. So, about two weeks ago I had to have another one done...this time open....as far as I can tell, I am the only one who has to go through the surgery twice....!!!! Is it normal for the doctors to go in and remove only half? I really think I was done wrong in my first surgery...any advice????
|

replied February 15th, 2012
@ mommygin0210 i would talk to a malpractice attorney!
|

replied February 15th, 2012
@ mommygin0210 i would talk to a malpractice attorney!
|

replied February 21st, 2012
Well, I am scheduled to have my damned gallbladder out in 2 weeks time and i cannot wait. I have been so il wiht it I just want to start feeling better.

I have a couple of very good friends who i trust 100% who have been through this and they are both fine.

The idea of not having a gallbladder causing liver probs is bizarre. Having a diseased or dodgy GB can result in Liver and Pancreas failure so it seems a no-brainer to me.

Even if I cannot eat certain foods or whatever after wards, why do i care. i can't eat them now!

Lx
|

replied July 16th, 2012
Well here is my story... I had my first attack on March 30/2012..I went to the ER with what I thought was food poisoning..with all the blood work and such they chalked it up to GB and was sick the entire weekend...Dr. put me on a low/no fat diet.. Was hell I tell you I lost 40lbs (not that I couldn't use it but wouldn't recommend it to anyone) Well in April I had another attack threw up profusely for 5 days straight...and again was on my way to the ER... So they finally scheduled me for surgery for June 26th only to cancel it for the the next Tuesday July 3rd..Well away I go for surgery at 9:00 am on the 3rd thinking I will be home and on my way to recovery by 3:00pm..Ya NOT.. apparently they tried laporscopic and when that didn't work they went the old fashioned way yep 10in scar,,nice,,, only to wake up from the surgery to find out that they couldn't remove it that way either as it was too inflamed and was squished between my liver and stomach so they didn't want to touch it Sad so they just closed me back up... so now here I lay recovering from a surgery that did absolutely nothing..only to go back in about 4-6 months time hoping that the swelling has gone down and they can do it all again... I did everything I was told prior to surgery short of starving myself... So who knows what is in store for me next....
|

replied July 16th, 2012
Experienced User
Yikes! You can pretty much guarantee that they'll have to do open surgery next time too. Is there a plan to reduce the inflammation, or is it just cross your fingers and hope?
|

replied July 29th, 2012
Post-op experience laparoscopically
I just had my gallbladder removed 5 days ago laparoscopically. Unfortunately, they did not prepare me for the post-op pain that results from all of that gas (as if the incisions and muscle pain aren't bad enough). The day of surgery and the day following were very painful.

They instructed me to get up and walk around and take deep breaths as much as possible to work out all of the gas that they pumped in during the surgery. It was almost impossible to walk day 1 or 2 or take a deep breath; the pain was intense and I was unable to stand up straight or sit up and walk without help. The gas pain is severe in the right shoulder which is so odd but the nurses said that is very common.

Good news is that by day 5, while still very sore, I am able to move around. The gas has worked its way out and the resulting pain is almost gone. Things at this point are just sore and energy is depleted. So far, I have only thrown up once on day 3 from eating...I have started eating normal food again in small quantities and all seems ok at this point.
|

replied July 30th, 2012
Experienced User
Perfectly normal, but amazing how they never tell you until afterwards Wink Too late now, but really you should take sufficient painkillers that you can walk around (a bit!) and breathe deeply. Being too sedentary after surgery is dangerous.
|

replied October 3rd, 2012
Gallbladder surgery with DaVinci
I had my gallbladder out yesterday. My surgeon used the DaVinci robot aid and it was a single site incision about an inch love just above the navel. I can walk, eat, have minimal gas and no pain unless I try to bend over or do some other dumb thing so close to the surgery. I expect to go to a party in a few days. I'll probably sit a lot but don't plan to complain to anyone or even tell them. I'm 75 and relatively healthy but no Amazon or super hero. I think I just got the right surgeon.
|

replied February 23rd, 2013
I'm about to have my gallbladder out as have multiple gallstones and had numerous bilury colic episodes. I'm pretty convinced it's the right thing to do but 2 Q's -
a) to whoever suffered bad post-op pain - how did it compare to labour or bilury colic attack? (Would like to prepare myself for how bad it might be!)
b) Aside from avoiding certain foods if necessary, does anyone have tips on how to aid digestion? The obvious are eat slowly, chew well but - for example - does cider vinegar with food help break down any fats? How about fruit/ juice before/ during/ different time? etc?
|