Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

White Little Bumps On Back of Throat (Page 1)

Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
Can some one help me? I get once in a while a white bump on the back of my throat. I can feel it when is coming out. I take them out and when I do they smell horrible!!! What are they? Someone out there gets them too??? Am I alone with this??? Help
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper cherry_pie
|

replied August 1st, 2006
Active User, very eHealthy
Nope, you're not alone. I get them too.. As im sure almost everyone does, they just don't know it. How I found I had them was when I would get this awful taste in my mouth.. And I was getting frequent sore throats. One day I was looking down my throat at my tonsils and I decided to touch them because I saw something that didn't look normal. I did, and a bunch of white (semi-hard) balls came out of the pockets in my tonsils. They smelled exactly like the awful taste that I was getting in my mouth!!! Anyways... Ever since I push on my tonsils every now and then, and I have yet to get a sore throat! Since then i've found that either its food getting into the tonsil pockets... Or infection (hence why I was getting sore throats often). Also it doesn't hurt to "clean" it out once in awhile. Hope I was of some help.
|
Users who thank cherry_pie for this post: Fairy Godmother 

replied August 1st, 2006
It's great to know that I am not alone!! That is exactly what they are!! I take them out too once in a while I get the same taste in my mouth and that's how I know I have to take them out! Thank you for the reply!
|

replied August 11th, 2006
They Are Called Tonsilloliths
My neice had been complaining about the same thing happening to her. We'd noticed her bad breath for years and I kept suggesting that she brush better, floss and brush her tongue. She kept telling me she did and had asked her dentist to help her but he said he didn't know what it could be. Anyway, when she said she found these white/yellowish bumps lodged in her tonsils, I began to do some research. I found out that they are called tonsil stones or tonsilloliths. It's a condition that is created by the combination of debris and other acids in the mouth cavity. So I bought her pepcid complete, an acid reducer. To make a long story short, she chews one berry flavored pepcid tablet every morning right after breakfast with a cup of water and then brushes her teeth and tongue as normal and she has nice breath all day. She hasn't noticed any bumps in her tonsils either. I really recommend trying this, it's made her life so much happier.
|

replied August 11th, 2006
White Bumps On Back of Throat
Thank you for the information, I always get them I when I notice the taste in my mouth, I take them out! But it seems like this is better. I have notice that my son has bad breath and now I am thinking that could be the problem. I am going to check his troat. Thank you sooo much for the information
|

replied September 11th, 2012
How do you take them out??!!
|

replied August 16th, 2006
Hi, the same thing happens to me sometimes. The first time I was running and suddenly I felt something in the back of my mouth. It smelled horrible which I recognized as the same smell people with sinus problems have. Since then, I have felt them in the back of my throat for hours, but have been unable to remove them, and suddenly they disappear. I hate to think I have swalled them unknowingly. Could someone explain exactly how to remove them whenever they are there?
|

User Profile
Supporter
Tonsil Stones
Those little things are gross huh! My ear/nose/throat Dr. Told me they were from sinus drainage. I gargle with a capful of hydrogen peroxide mixed in 1/2 c water. As for picking them out, I use a soft proxy brush and gently remove them. Afterwards, I rinse/gargle with scope! Glad to be aboard!!!!!!!!!!!!
|

White Bumps
Thanks for the reply. I have read other articles on the "tonsil stones" and they conflict with what your doctor told you. They are said to be food particles/residue left in your mouth along with some chemical reactions due to saliva and white blood cells. Anyhow, I will try your sugestion for removing them.
|

User Profile
replied March 20th, 2007
hurray!! i have those things 2, but they arent bad..... they arent 2 large, that is...... i researched them a bit cause i was kinda scared, and i found they are called tonsilitis...... god, some people have REALLY LARGE ones, that are like the size of ur fingernail..... mine are only like half a centimeter big, so thank god!

yeah, they STINK! they smell soooooooooooooooo bad and my mom kept telling me how bad they smell. but, i can get them out in a week, so until it comes out i buy ice breakers or mints and suck on them throughout the day. im glad im not the only one with these.... if i was, it would be REALLY embarrasing for me....
|

replied August 3rd, 2007
I'm sorry to tell everyone this.. but they are called tonsil stones, and they are an infection.. my boyfriend had them so bad that he eventually had to get his tonsils removed because of them.
|

User Profile
replied August 5th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Hey
yes weve come to that conclusion. i use my finger to pry them out. lol
|

replied August 18th, 2007
Thank God
im so happy im not the only one with these white balls in the back of my throat. I left work early today because i was so afraid. I told my gf that my throat has been alittle irritated and she took a look and said what she saw didnt look too good, or normal. It was a white/yellowish ball that looks like its in a hole alittle bit or something. I've been noticing dry mouth and bad taste recentley so i guess thats the reason. Im afriad to try and take it out, i dont wanna irritate it. I have no other symptoms like fever or anything. so im guessing its just puss or something? Im gonna attempt salt water to see if it goes away.
|

replied March 8th, 2012
White balls
It will not irritate them I get a bobby pin and get mines out
|

replied August 21st, 2007
Hey
ive had those little white bumps for about 4 years now and they never worried me until about a month ago when i noticed that i had one large one about the size of a fingernail, and also little red bumps aswell on the other side of my throat. I wondered if it could be strep throat or something like that but im not sure. Please could somebody tell me what it is because im really worried Confused
|

replied December 8th, 2007
Those White Bumps Lol
i am like so relieved that this is nothing. b/c for a moment i thought that i had contracted some type of disease. i noticed them today, but yesterday my throat was sore. this morning i felt them in the back of my throat. they are hard to reach so i grabbed the first thing i saw, which was a q-tip, and tried to get one off the tip of my tonsil, since it was the nearest one. i tried all day to get it off. and it finally came off, but it bled a little, and yes i accidentally swallowed it. Sad but as for the rest of them, they are way too far back to reach, it's a bunch of them little !**@! back there hiding in the pocket on the side. and yessss, they smell like who did it and why. lol. this is the first time this has ever happened to me. but occasionally i will cough one up, only one. but when i saw these things (tonsil stones, which i just learned today) hiding back there, i thought i was gonna die. i began thinking that these things could grow so huge and eventually cut off my air supply. is that possible? anyone, anyone? but good to know i'm not the only one. i'm about to try and fish some more out!
|

replied August 3rd, 2012
How do you guys take them out mine is supper far back in my throat i cant pop it Sad and my tonsils are already out! Help please!
|

replied March 24th, 2009
That F__ckn white lil bumps!
Woooh! I was too nervous thinking that I am gonna die because of that white bumps. And the second thing I thought was, it's a tooth growing in my throat! Oh my God! Yeah, my mouth always gets dry for a couple of days and my breath kinda stinks. That's why I bought a mouth spray breath freshener yesterday. Then I just noticed this afternoon when I had my lunch that I felt something on my throat. Then I grabbed my mirror then I found out that the lil tooth is growing on my throat! What the fffffff!
|

replied March 26th, 2009
Im Scared.
I have those white little bumps on the back of my throat, too. im so scared that i don't know what it is. but i don't think it's hard. but then my bf told me that i should spit sometimes, because maybe that's why im sick. just today, i looked at the back of my throat and saw that there were white bumps in the back. i tried to look at everyones, but i thought that maybe they haven't grown them yet, but i don't know. im just really scared and i've been having a sore throat for like 4 to 5 days.
|

replied April 3rd, 2009
tonsil stones
I have them to and boy do they stink. I can always tell when I got one cause I notice they make me have a bad taste in my mouth.
|

replied April 8th, 2009
Hello,

A lot of people have these. The for some reason i feel like when i smoke more i get them more. I brought a mouth cleaning kit and there is a little pick in there that is curved. I have very steady hands so i go at them very gently with it and it works much better than a q tip. I don't like them back there because sometimes it feels like a fur ball and def makes your breath stink
|

replied May 11th, 2009
hi i just looked and found one today. but its not in the back of my throut its more on the side and mine dont smell. idk if i shld pick it out or not. is it the same thing?
|

replied June 3rd, 2009
Best way to get them out!!!!
The best way to get them out is with a hair pin/bobby pin. If you use the round side and push down over the white bump it will squeeze out and conveniently stay in the loop of the hair pin for easy disposal. Gross!!!!
|
Quick Reply